For Want of a New Fridge

It's kind of amazing how one thing leads to another and takes on a life all it's own.

Back during the last hurricane, my fridge died from a power brownout. My kitchen is old, so my choices were limited by the space for the fridge. I wound up with a top-freezer unit, it was the only thing that really fit, but I'm not thrilled with it. After years of making do, I decided it was time to do something about it. There was only one choice: update the kitchen to fit the fridge I really want. So the demolition begins. As I'm designing in my head, I realize it's the perfect time to remove those restrictive kitchen walls and open the space up. Ok, can't take down the walls, load bearing. Neighbor is doing something similar, but he has a crew come in and re-support the ceiling from up in the attic. I like that, and do the same. Out come the walls. Messy job, plaster over sheetrock. Plaster dust everywhere. Out come the kitchen cabinets. Do I clean it up and put in new cabinets? Of course not! There's no insulation in the outside walls, so every wall gets ripped down to the bare studs. More plaster dust. Talk with the cabinet shop and begin discussions for new. As I'm prepping, I find the outlets are not at the right height, so that means moving them down 4" on the wall. THAT means I have to crawl up in the attic on my stomach to get at the junction boxes to replace the existing wire. Wound up re-wiring the entire kitchen, added new circuits, updated hardware. More discussions with the cabinet shop. A new island is going in. That means more new circuits, water, etc.... Gee.... now would be a great time to consider a gas range instead of electric. Call the gas company out to see if it's possible. It is, but I need to create a platform outside to put a bottle. Ok, great. As I look at the space I want to put the platform, I realize there is erosion under the outdoor cement steps in the backyard where the bottle will go. So I get an estimate to have the steps removed and a retaining wall with platform put in. So today the excavation for the new retaining wall has started. While this is going on, I decide I want a pocket door in the kitchen to replace the old door which was ALWAYS in the way. Ordered a new pocket door and new window, waiting for that to come in so the crew can build a new wall with the pocket door before I can run the electrics and water for the new fridge location, and that's holding up the final measurements for the kitchen cabinets.

All for want of a new fridge. Which I found, ordered, received, and it's sitting in the living room patiently waiting.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My dad used to say there was no such thing as a "little update." He would complain that painting lead to new curtains, new furniture, new carpet, new light fixtures.... etc. And I have learned over the years how true that is...

I once asked my husband to check our master bathroom floor because I found a soft spot and thought we may need to replace the floor.... I came home from work and found our entire bathroom, shower, floors, walls, toilet in our front yard.

In the end, we ended up remodeling the bathroom the way we wanted but there is no such thing as a “little update.” He did the same thing when he wanted this certain fridge at our old house. I came home from college and the kitchen was torn apart.

It will be very nice when you are done, I’m sure. Be sure to follow up with some before and after pictures. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had this husband one time who decided to fix the wall in our bathroom where a pipe leaked and damaged the drywall. He planned on doing this while I was out of town for a couple days.

I came back home to find my dining room sectioned off by a plastic curtain. When I peeked behind the curtain, I saw that the whole dining room wall (that was shared by our bathroom) was gone and the dining room itself was a construction area. It seems that one of the wall studs in the bathroom was damaged as well, so while he was replacing that he figured he might as well take out the whole wall and make a built-in china hutch for the dining room.

So I am no stranger to mission creep when it comes to household repairs.

I had this husband one time who decided to fix the wall in our bathroom where a pipe leaked and damaged the drywall. He planned on doing this while I was out of town for a couple days.

I came back home to find my dining room sectioned off by a plastic curtain. When I peeked behind the curtain, I saw that the whole dining room wall (that was shared by our bathroom) was gone and the dining room itself was a construction area. It seems that one of the wall studs in the bathroom was damaged as well, so while he was replacing that he figured he might as well take out the whole wall and make a built-in china hutch for the dining room.

So I am no stranger to mission creep when it comes to household repairs.
I remember that thread! :lol:

This past weekend I decided to shampoo the carpet in my bedroom. That meant taking everything out. Once done I decided since everything was out I should repaint the room. Once that was done I decided I didn't want to bring in grubby old furniture so I revarnished and/or painted everything before it came back in. Now I'm refusing to just bring back in all the 'stuff' and stuff it willy-nilly like it was previously. I'm going through each and every item including each item of clothing, every piece of make-up, every bottle of lotion/potion etc. to determine whether it's worthy of keeping, re-homing, or trashing. Longest carpet cleaning effort I've ever experienced...:doh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Longest carpet cleaning effort I've ever experienced...:doh:

But sometimes you need that to get motivated. I had a friend coming to spend the weekend when I lived in Frederick. While I was pulling the sheets to wash them and freshen the bedspread in anticipation of guests, I thought, "Gee, this is a drab little room." That led to painting the walls, buying new drapes, reupholstering the accent chair, and adding a few furniture items.

Looked great when I was done. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
MY BROTHERS!!!!! Welcome to the annual meeting of the "While I was in there anyway" society. Replace carpeting in living room.

1. Subfloors crap.
2. Since subfloor is up, great time
3. run network and
4. tv cable and might as well
5. add the wiring for 7.1 surround.
6. Baseboard is for crap, lets do custom built up baseboard :)

And coincidentally, we have all the cabinetry for our kitchen. But got to do subfloor. We looked at doing a gas range when we moved in but it was going to be prohibitively expenisve to run the piping. Well, since the kitchen floor is going to up anyway........ and Lowes had a silly sidewalk sale on a bunch of Whirlpool Gold stuff a few weeks back so the range is ready........

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I wanted to paint the bedroom. Emptied the room out, painted, and decided I'd clean the carpet. The rotating action of the carpet cleaner pulverized the carpet.

New carpet was installed to go with the new paint job.:starcat:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Only costing me $650 for a new (purchased) bottle, piping, hookup, labor. I thought that was a good deal.

If the gas is used just for cooking you might get hit with a surcharge for minimal use. That is why I got two 40 pound bottles, an auto switch regulator, and get them refilled myself.

glhs837

Power with Control
Only costing me $650 for a new (purchased) bottle, piping, hookup, labor. I thought that was a good deal.

My quote was almost double that. Is your range against an outside wall by chance? Mines about 6 feet in along an interior wall, with finished basement underneath.

If the gas is used just for cooking you might get hit with a surcharge for minimal use. That is why I got two 40 pound bottles, an auto switch regulator, and get them refilled myself.
We spoke about that. He said no difference for minimal use. I told him it was a stove only, and usage will be very little.
My quote was almost double that. Is your range against an outside wall by chance? Mines about 6 feet in along an interior wall, with finished basement underneath.
The island with the stove will be about 18' from the outside wall, piping will run under the kitchen floor in the basement. I had an acoustic tile ceiling in the basement, but took it down so I could run power, water, etc.... That made it easy for the gas guy. New basement ceiling will be a removable-tile drop ceiling after I finish messing around.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
We spoke about that. He said no difference for minimal use. I told him it was a stove only, and usage will be very little.

That's cool, out here it was going to be something like $200 a year on top of gas cost, which is as much extra as I spend on the LP all by itself.

That's cool, out here it was going to be something like $200 a year on top of gas cost, which is as much extra as I spend on the LP all by itself.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was no surcharge per se, but the price per gallon was a few cents higher. Only applied when you actually got fuel.

Shutout

Are the wall studs even and plumb? Sometimes in older construction they used the plaster to "plumb" the walls. Might be an issue especially when installing cabinets on a wall. Sounds like you have a good plan. Even as the project evolves. Best of luck. Quite an accomplishment.

Be sure to follow up with some before and after pictures. :biggrin:
Tuesday
20150630_150820.jpg

Wendesday
20150826_084829.jpg 20150826_091832.jpg

Friday
20150828_161939.jpg