Polite way to say your not hired

FED_UP

Dear Tree Frog

Thank you for you indication of interest in our xxxxxxx opening. We have placed this opportunity on hold and will not be considering candidates at this time. We will keep your resume on file for a period of six months but strongly encourage you to check our site often for positions of interest.

Best of luck to you in your search.

XXX Recruiting Team

do not reply to this automated e-mail message.**

Easy let down right, I don't buy it. Just tell the truth. We did not fugging hiring your would be more respectable. Just curious is this typical knowing dam well its not the truth? Could be the truth, just curious on comments.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Dear Tree Frog

Thank you for you indication of interest in our xxxxxxx opening. We have placed this opportunity on hold and will not be considering candidates at this time. We will keep your resume on file for a period of six months but strongly encourage you to check our site often for positions of interest.

XXX Recruiting Team

Easy let down right, I don't buy it. Just tell the truth. We did not fugging hiring your would be more respectable. Just curious is this typical knowing dam well its not the truth? Could be the truth, just curious on comments.

It could be the truth. I was days from making 2 girls an offer on a job earlier this year and the funding was pulled. Our HR sent out letters like this but I actually picked up the phone and told them why. I felt like they were owed a bit more explanation than some random email.

acommondisaster

Funding gets pulled all of the time. When applying internally for jobs within my company's website, we can check the status of a job inquiry. There are several status options, including "no longer under consideration" and "position no longer available". They are two completely different things - one means "you're not hired" the other means "we're not filling the position", so don't despair - it could be true that the job isn't there anymore - or it could be BS, but seriously, who cares? But why bother wasting time fussing? Consider it an opportunity to hone your interview skills and keep looking. No use fuming over a job you're not going to have.

FED_UP

On a side note, I was told that the goverment stopped hiring until Oct. Most likely still hiring enternally I would guess.

bilbur

Dear Tree Frog

XXX Recruiting Team

Was this Wyle? I got almost the same thing from them. I was not actually interested in their job anyway but I was between jobs and there was no guarantee I was going to get the job I wanted so I applied to them. By the time I got their little "The job went away" note I had a solid offer from the company I was hoping to get hired with.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Thats nothing. The worst is the lie "we will let you know either way". That one is complete horse####, I know no one who ever got the call telling them that they did not get the job.

FED_UP

Was this Wyle? I got almost the same thing from them. I was not actually interested in their job anyway but I was between jobs and there was no guarantee I was going to get the job I wanted so I applied to them. By the time I got their little "The job went away" note I had a solid offer from the company I was hoping to get hired with.

Not Wyle, I guess they use a similair program.

FED_UP

Thats nothing. The worst is the lie "we will let you know either way". That one is complete horse####, I know no one who ever got the call telling them that they did not get the job.

Well it is something difficult to tell someone. Let you know either way is a popular one too, ha ha.

BernieP

Resident PIA
On a side note, I was told that the goverment stopped hiring until Oct. Most likely still hiring enternally I would guess.

USAJobs still has postings open. NAVAIR may not be hiring, but other agencies seem to be.

As far as a letter of rejection, be happy you got one. A lot of places don't acknowledge you even submitted an application/resume.

If you want a crappy notice, it's one that says you were not considered because you lacked the proper required whatever.
Which would be fine except you know you submitted the requested paper work and you more than meet the requirements.
Then you learn later it was a system error that the file didn't get moved over.

PeoplesElbow

When I was interviewing at many places getting ready to leave college I had an order of preference and every single company told me they would let me know either way because they know this wasn't my only interview. Only 1 company let me know, I just didn't want to accept a job that I wanted less than another only to have to say um sorry something better came along.

NAVAIR told me I would know within two weeks, after two weeks never got a notice. Two months later while I was on another interview on that companies dime I got the call.

What I thought was weird was another company got a hold of me after I accepted from Navair and I was honest with them taht I accepted the Navair job, they actually said "Come up to NY anyway, you might decide you would rather have this job".

Point is sometimes actually letting people know instead of that lip service could save your company/organization some money or frustration.

BernieP

Resident PIA
When I was interviewing at many places getting ready to leave college I had an order of preference and every single company told me they would let me know either way because they know this wasn't my only interview. Only 1 company let me know, I just didn't want to accept a job that I wanted less than another only to have to say um sorry something better came along.

NAVAIR told me I would know within two weeks, after two weeks never got a notice. Two months later while I was on another interview on that companies dime I got the call.

What I thought was weird was another company got a hold of me after I accepted from Navair and I was honest with them taht I accepted the Navair job, they actually said "Come up to NY anyway, you might decide you would rather have this job".

Point is sometimes actually letting people know instead of that lip service could save your company/organization some money or frustration.

Supply and demand, if they perceive that there are plenty of good candidates out there they are less likely to use the human touch. That's reserved for the positions where there is a small pool of people they are competing for.

Agee

I did it all the time. It's respectful.

It is indeed and used to be standard practice. If you took the time to apply/submit a resume' and show interest in a company, it was common professional courtesy to return a response. That response used to be via a letter on company letterhead, imagine that. When I was in the job hunt, many of the companies I never heard back from...

PeoplesElbow

Supply and demand, if they perceive that there are plenty of good candidates out there they are less likely to use the human touch. That's reserved for the positions where there is a small pool of people they are competing for.

Actually, not so much in this case. It was when the job market was booming and everyone was paying relocation, starting bonuses etc. I think the human touch of it has all just disappeared.

A rejection call or letter is appreciated.

GopherM

Darwin was right
On the occasions when I conducted interviews I always gave a call back to the applicants that were not selected to give them the opportunity to discuss their interview, understand why they were not selected, and provide recommendations on how to improve their marketability. I have given some applicants a indication that they should apply again in the future and have been able to hire them within a few months.