Restore Deck Stain

OldHillcrestGuy

Just wondering if when this product came out a couple of years ago and was all over the TV with commercials how many folks bought and used it. I did and its one lousy product. Would like to hear experiences from other people and their opinions. Its only been down 2 years and its peeling off my deck boards. Looks like Im going to have it powerwash it off and stain again next spring.

PeoplesElbow

I also purchased it. I have the same issue on wood, but I did not prep my deck very well other than pressure wash it. Olympic stain wouldn't stick to it very well either, there was some sort of oil/grease on the deck.

I will say that Restore is great for concrete and cinder block.

The smell about killed me putting it on though.

Littlebit

I tried it, it sucked even on concrete & cinder block, not worth the money I paid for it, Lowe's even told me that it would not work well when I bought, should have listened to them.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I didn't think I could make my deck look any worse than what it was. I was so wrong. I have splotches of that crap all over the deck now since most, but not all, has peeled off. I can't believe I expended so much money and man power on that crap. :burning: Hate it hate it HATE IT!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
That stuff is a PITA to work with... I did one section of my deck and ended up power washing that #### off. It was horrible and beyond time consuming.

PeoplesElbow

My deck was pretty nice ....for about 6 months.

The concrete pad and cinder blocks that I did still looks like new and it is going on 3 years.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
What is this so called Deck restore product suppose to do?
Why not just replace the deck planks?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

I assumed it was another alternative to just staining. Maybe it was supposed to offer more protection. Cheaper alternative than replacing your whole deck. Glad someone did this review. Our decks need staining bad. I'll end up taking forever to do it because I won't be able to decide on a color.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/restore

OldHillcrestGuy

They sale it like a stain that you can have mixed to have some different colors. Suppose to last 10 years, I think that was one of their claims. It goes on like paint, looked great the first year then the following spring when we went to open the pool I started seeing places where it was peeling. I have a 15x30 pool and the deck that is on the front side is about 38 feet long and the width is about 8 feet, and I have about 3' feet of lattice around the bottom with railing around the deck, so its a pretty big deck. I guess I got suckered into thinking wow this will last me some time before I have to do it again. I knew that the 10 years wasn't going to happen but if I got 4-5 yrs. I'd be pleased. Like Christy wrote its a big job to get the deck ready for it to be stained and then the $$$ that this S**t set you back it really is upsetting. I noticed that they don't advertise it on TV anymore.

H

Hodr

I actually did see it advertised on TV. Glad to know the opinions on the product as I had considered it. Apparently it used to be made by Syntainc, and many people swear it was a much better product before Rustoleum purchased it.

John Z

if you will
Yep, similarly poor results on my deck too. To DoWhat, the "stain" is basically paint with a media (sand or similar) mixed in. That way it fills in the imperfections in your aging, imperfect deck surface. Our deck is quite large, and we spent many hundreds on material alone. Much has peeled off, though I really thought I'd prepped the surface correctly. I spent hours power washing. I let the deck dry. I applied two coats with the special rollers. I'm thinking of blasting all the material off now. I wonder if the more expensive Behr product works any better. I guess I should just sand the rough spots and put a traditional stain on the deck. Yay, more time and money.

H

Hodr

Yep, similarly poor results on my deck too. To DoWhat, the "stain" is basically paint with a media (sand or similar) mixed in. That way it fills in the imperfections in your aging, imperfect deck surface. Our deck is quite large, and we spent many hundreds on material alone. Much has peeled off, though I really thought I'd prepped the surface correctly. I spent hours power washing. I let the deck dry. I applied two coats with the special rollers. I'm thinking of blasting all the material off now. I wonder if the more expensive Behr product works any better. I guess I should just sand the rough spots and put a traditional stain on the deck. Yay, more time and money.

Maybe you could rent one of the floor sanders for hardwood floors put it on the slowest setting and have that thing done in a couple of hours?

PeoplesElbow

I used it because my boards were looking a bit rough and I wanted a nonskid surface. Wood gets snotty slick when wet. It looks a lot like antiskid coating on ship decks.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We called, complained, and got our money back. Same story, looked great for the summer we put it down, peeled up all winter. What a mess!

If you have your cash register receipt, give them a call. Our refund was painless.

OldHillcrestGuy

I used it because my boards were looking a bit rough and I wanted a nonskid surface. Wood gets snotty slick when wet. It looks a lot like antiskid coating on ship decks.

We did the floor of our deck with the nonskid type because it was around the pool, but it came out too rough and was hard to walk on barefoot. Did the rest of the deck with what they said was stain.

Wife keeps so many receipts, she may still have it even 2 years later. lol Maybe its a long shot to get a refund. Was it Lowes or Rustoleum who refunded your money Hodr?