Marty...You Got Some Explaining to Do...

Rommey

Democratic Presidential candidate Martin O’Malley is facing questions about whether he violated state ethics rules when buying furniture from the governor’s mansion at cut-rate prices before his departure.

A Maryland assistant attorney general on Friday asked a state ethics commission to rule on whether O’Malley’s purchases violated rules on state property, according to documents obtained by The Baltimore Sun, which first reported the story.

O'Malley and his wife, Catherine O'Malley, reportedly paid $9,638 for 54 pieces of furniture that originally cost taxpayers $62,000.

The O’Malley administration’s Department of General Services sold the items after declaring them "junk." But an agency rule prohibits the preferential sale of state property to government officials, according to the paper.

The agency also allegedly permitted the sale without seeking bids or notifying the public that the items were for sale.
link
I'm glad in addition to all the taxes and fees Marty added during his tenure here in Maryland, that we were able to finance some cut-rate furnishings...

glhs837

Power with Control
Do we really think that if thsi stuff was in such poor shape that it was junk, unservicable, really, that the Owe'Malleys would want to keep it? Would love to see a inspection performed to check on the supposed flaws the appraisal supposedly found.

tommyjo

link
I'm glad in addition to all the taxes and fees Marty added during his tenure here in Maryland, that we were able to finance some cut-rate furnishings...

Just how much do you think 8 year old used furniture is worth?

Should it have been sold exclusively to the ex-gov...no. Sure sounds like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Rommey

Should it have been sold exclusively to the ex-gov...no. Sure sounds like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I highlighted the troubling parts for you...but I post it again:

But an agency rule prohibits the preferential sale of state property to government officials, according to the paper.

The agency also allegedly permitted the sale without seeking bids or notifying the public that the items were for sale.

If the rules prohibit the sale, then why should we be OK with it? Impropriety by government officials is never a "molehill". They have to be accountable to the people of the state.

Hijinx

If he were a Republican I am sure your post would be the one making the mountain.