How does Calvert County treat minorities

steppinthrax

Honest question.

Wife and I are minorities, we've been in Calvert County for 4 years so far (from Baltimore). Recently we were involved in an argument with a parent friend, who later decided to shoot out very harsh racial epithets regarding my wife's, children and my racial background. We are a bi-racial couple.... Never expected anything like this from this family (no obvious signs of this)......

Looking to hear from others.

Hank

my war
Honest question.

Wife and I are minorities, we've been in Calvert County for 4 years so far (from Baltimore). Recently we were involved in an argument with a parent friend, who later decided to shoot out very harsh racial epithets regarding my wife's, children and my racial background. We are a bi-racial couple.... Never expected anything like this from this family (no obvious signs of this)......

Heat of the moment, people say stupid chit. What makes you question how the county treats minorities due to this argument?

Forkian

Can't make assumptions about an entire race, region or county. Not falling for the race bait here.

steppinthrax

Heat of the moment, people say stupid chit. What makes you question how the county treats minorities due to this argument?

Because I moved from a liberal high minority area = Baltimore. To a more religious and conservative area = Calvert County. In addition, I don't buy the "heat of the moment" argument. Esp over text messaging..... It's not like you're fingers accidently type well crafted hateful things....

Hank

my war
Because I moved from a liberal high minority area = Baltimore. To a more religious and conservative area = Calvert County. In addition, I don't buy the "heat of the moment" argument. Esp over text messaging..... It's not like you're fingers accidently type well crafted hateful things....

Oh. Didn't know it was text messages. To answer your question, I have never witnessed or heard of any racial tension in Calvert since I have been here. I'm sure it is probably there as it is everywhere. Calvert is over 80% white, so I am sure there is some trash within that number. I lived in Baltimore before I lived here. No way I would go back (and not due to my race or the race of others)...

steppinthrax

Oh. Didn't know it was text messages. To answer your question, I have never witnessed or heard of any racial tension in Calvert since I have been here. I'm sure it is probably there as it is everywhere. Calvert is over 80% white, so I am sure there is some trash within that number. I lived in Baltimore before I lived here. No way I would go back (and not due to my race or the race of others)...

Correct.

I lived in Baltimore before, I would not go back.....

I love CC, this may sound dumb but this group didn't really follow the trash profile.... (i.e. educated mother/father, professional workers etc...)

Midnightrider

Correct.

I love CC, this may sound dumb but this group didn't really follow the trash profile.... (i.e. educated mother/father, professional workers etc...)

I dont think Calvert, or the people from here necessarily treat minorities bad. I am sure that some will and that they will make a disproportionately large impact, but in general the county is pretty accepting.

That's not the way it was 30 years ago, but the place has grown a lot. Not everyone has come along, but most have

Hank

my war
Correct.

Educated mother/father & professional workers are capable of being trash as well.... Just sayin'.

BernieP

Resident PIA

well part of the reason for the vitriol in the response may be that it was via text message. Sometimes people think twice what they are about to say when they are with arms reach of the other.

I would agree with others who said you can't paint this as a county wide attitude. Populations are somewhat diverse. If Calvert is like St. Mary's the racial make up of St. Mary's is (was) much like the profile of the US. People are raised differently, based on income, family situation, and the community (where) they grew up - not to mention education.

MDGator

Educated mother/father & professional workers are capable of being trash as well.... Just sayin'.

Amen. One shouldn't judge another by their education/employment level. That would be prejudiced/bigoted and isn't that the problem?

steppinthrax

well part of the reason for the vitriol in the response may be that it was via text message. Sometimes people think twice what they are about to say when they are with arms reach of the other.

I would agree with others who said you can't paint this as a county wide attitude. Populations are somewhat diverse. If Calvert is like St. Mary's the racial make up of St. Mary's is (was) much like the profile of the US. People are raised differently, based on income, family situation, and the community (where) they grew up - not to mention education.

I would say otherwise.

sms messages are perm, what's said personally has to be repeated word-of-mouth. I've SHOWED at least 3-4 other people who previously knew this family the content of the sms messages..... That's pretty damming!!

nutz

I would say otherwise.

sms messages are perm, what's said personally has to be repeated word-of-mouth. I've SHOWED at least 3-4 other people who previously knew this family the content of the sms messages..... That's pretty damming!!

Why are you trying to spread the hate? Don't like Calvert or your neighbors, pack up your #### and move. No one is forcing you to associate with any of these people.

tblwdc

Honest question.

WHAT A STUPID QUESTION!!! I was in Baltimore once when I heard a guy use the "N" word. I didn't wonder if everyone in Baltimore used that word.

steppinthrax

Why are you trying to spread the hate? Don't like Calvert or your neighbors, pack up your #### and move. No one is forcing you to associate with any of these people.

I'm not spreading anything, just showing what another person said to me and my family. Here are some examples of what this family has said.

You sand ######
You stupid chink (to my wife)
Go back to ####ing china (to my wife)
Your country ####s babies in the toilet (to my wife)

etc etc. I can go on......

To make it worse, this was done via the person's company phone!!!!!! :drool:

steppinthrax

WHAT A STUPID QUESTION!!! I was in Baltimore once when I heard a guy use the "N" word. I didn't wonder if everyone in Baltimore used that word.

Coming from who. Not entirely agree with it, but many African Americans use the N word to each other. Usually version ending in "ah".

steppinthrax

Why should I leave???

Be honest now!!!

Because I didn't like someone who was using racial discriminating terms?

officeguy

I'm not spreading anything, just showing what another person said to me and my family. Here are some examples of what this family has said.

You sand ######
You stupid chink (to my wife)
Go back to ####ing china (to my wife)
Your country ####s babies in the toilet (to my wife)

etc etc. I can go on......

To make it worse, this was done via the person's company phone!!!!!! :drool:

It's not 'Calvert County' that is treating your wife in this way, it is one specific person.

If it is done on a company phone, find out who their boss is and complain to the boss.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Honest question.

That person is an ahole. Doesn't have anything to do with Calvert County, that's just where this particular ahole happens to live.

But on that note, people do pick out physical traits when insulting someone in anger. "Blonde bitch!" "Freaking Jew!" "Fat ass!" It's interesting what they single out as a negative descriptor.