Moving from, and to, middle of nowhere

digitallest

Pods does not deliver to Scotland. In fact, the only Pod-like thing I have found that Will deliver to Scotland is storage only, not transit. So, they can get our belongings as far as lexington park. So, like...twenty miles closer to Missouri.

last time my family packed up a house and moved it, things did not go well. I mean, for the bandits who took all my Grams possessions, and ransomed them back to us for ten grand more than the agreed upon price, it went quite smoothly. Easy twenty grand, and all they had to do was show up with a truck.

Here are the forseeable problems: certain geriatric control freaks, who shall not be named, are already deep into packing everything herself, so she knows it is done right. Someone may have implied a threat to some figurines or whatever, some sort of miscommunication, but mom has dedicated herself to lovingly hand packing each box in such a way as to maximize areal density.

She is actually impinging upon the laws of physics at this point, I am a little worried about the balance of the universe. I am probably just being paranoid. I am not that experienced with moving using professionals. I just always had friends with trucks.

I will pose this question to the group: What is 16 inches high, by sixteen inches wide, by 16 inches deep, and weighs 4,000 pounds? Heck if I know, the box is already laminated with packing tape. (The stuff with strings!) Then she labelled the box with the cryptic message "Study" which is good advice, but I do not think it is going to help me now. With a box of dark matter in the hallway.

I am hoping the good people of this forum know of some reputable interstate movers who can take micro management from a little old lady, who only looks harmless, but is actually capable of employing advanced interrogations techniques. She pulled sophisticated renditions before rendition was a thing. Possibly a company that employs robots, and could provide the robots with sedatives just in case.

I think I may have figured out the reason behind the extra ten thousand dollars, last time movers had to deal with my crazy family. Hm. Any advice would br greatly appreciated. I told her, "do not take the first thing you see," so she contacted the second company listed on google as movers, and put down a deposit on their services. But then...a bunch of unauthorized charges began showing up on that very same card. Now she is not sure she can trust them, either. And is unhappy with me for telling her to do that. I wish I was kidding about that part.

anyone know of a good interstate mover? not Allied Van lines, she has some sort issue with them. She ultimately hopes to have a trailer dropped off, stuff placed by unpaid family members into trailer, then have that trailer dragged to Missouri by paid professionals. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. If you don't hear from me, assume I choked to death on antique cobwebs, because that is totally happening right now. If I could go back and change anything, I would have vacuumed behind all the paintings regularly. Or at least once, before I took them off the walls.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Did you try Quality Moving and Storage on Three Notch Road n Lexington Park - just north of the base.

Rented a pod like container from them, also think they are part of a national shipping corporation - could be Allied, don't know.

The only mover that I am aware of - and have used.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Pods does not deliver to Scotland. In fact, the only Pod-like thing I have found that Will deliver to Scotland is storage only, not transit. So, they can get our belongings as far as lexington park. So, like...twenty miles closer to Missouri.

last time my family packed up a house and moved it, things did not go well. I mean, for the bandits who took all my Grams possessions, and ransomed them back to us for ten grand more than the agreed upon price, it went quite smoothly. Easy twenty grand, and all they had to do was show up with a truck.

Here are the forseeable problems: certain geriatric control freaks, who shall not be named, are already deep into packing everything herself, so she knows it is done right. Someone may have implied a threat to some figurines or whatever, some sort of miscommunication, but mom has dedicated herself to lovingly hand packing each box in such a way as to maximize areal density.

She is actually impinging upon the laws of physics at this point, I am a little worried about the balance of the universe. I am probably just being paranoid. I am not that experienced with moving using professionals. I just always had friends with trucks.

I will pose this question to the group: What is 16 inches high, by sixteen inches wide, by 16 inches deep, and weighs 4,000 pounds? Heck if I know, the box is already laminated with packing tape. (The stuff with strings!) Then she labelled the box with the cryptic message "Study" which is good advice, but I do not think it is going to help me now. With a box of dark matter in the hallway.

I am hoping the good people of this forum know of some reputable interstate movers who can take micro management from a little old lady, who only looks harmless, but is actually capable of employing advanced interrogations techniques. She pulled sophisticated renditions before rendition was a thing. Possibly a company that employs robots, and could provide the robots with sedatives just in case.

I think I may have figured out the reason behind the extra ten thousand dollars, last time movers had to deal with my crazy family. Hm. Any advice would br greatly appreciated. I told her, "do not take the first thing you see," so she contacted the second company listed on google as movers, and put down a deposit on their services. But then...a bunch of unauthorized charges began showing up on that very same card. Now she is not sure she can trust them, either. And is unhappy with me for telling her to do that. I wish I was kidding about that part.

anyone know of a good interstate mover? not Allied Van lines, she has some sort issue with them. She ultimately hopes to have a trailer dropped off, stuff placed by unpaid family members into trailer, then have that trailer dragged to Missouri by paid professionals. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. If you don't hear from me, assume I choked to death on antique cobwebs, because that is totally happening right now. If I could go back and change anything, I would have vacuumed behind all the paintings regularly. Or at least once, before I took them off the walls.
Good luck, that does not sound like fun.

And Congrats on getting out of the state of MD.

My neighbor's son/daughter just moved x-country, and they used pods with a U-Haul logo on the side. Same deal, pod is loaded, transported, dropped off, unloaded, then removed. I can try to get some info for you if interested.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Digitallest, I have no advice on pods, but wish you luck with your move. I hope you stay on the forum. I love to read your posts. Your sense of humor is wonderful even when talking about stressful subjects. I have told you before you have a great way with words, and should be a writer. Safe travels. :smile:

GopherM

Darwin was right
Did you try Quality Moving and Storage on Three Notch Road n Lexington Park - just north of the base.

Rented a pod like container from them, also think they are part of a national shipping corporation - could be Allied, don't know.

The only mover that I am aware of - and have used.

That's who we had make our move. We used conventional van moving but I know they provide pods as well.

They were fantastic in both packing us up and unpacking us on this end and they were right on point with the price the quoted up front. Very honest and professional.

officeguy

I have avoided dealing with inter-state moving companies. As far as I am concerned, they are an incarnation of the devil on earth.

Last time I needed to do an interstate move, I hired a local moving outfit do do the packing and loading for me. Instead of their truck I had them load everything into a 26ft Penske. Drove the Penske to my new place where my cousin and two mexican guys helped me to unload.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member

I used to read about horror stories like this, and even see some on the 20/20 type shows. I thought they would be a thing of the past in this day and age.

Did you have a signed, written contract? Why not sue them after the fact. Tell the judge you paid the ransom under duress to get your stuff back and avoid escalating "storage" (hostage) fees.

digitallest

My neighbor's son/daughter just moved x-country, and they used pods with a U-Haul logo on the side. Same deal, pod is loaded, transported, dropped off, unloaded, then removed. I can try to get some info for you if interested.

That would be awesome! Actually, maybe if you would just PM with more info... I will have to delete this thread eventually lol.

So as not to be packed in the box with creepy gnome.

digitallest

I have avoided dealing with inter-state moving companies. As far as I am concerned, they are an incarnation of the devil on earth.

Last time I needed to do an interstate move, I hired a local moving outfit do do the packing and loading for me. Instead of their truck I had them load everything into a 26ft Penske. Drove the Penske to my new place where my cousin and two mexican guys helped me to unload.

I like this idea.

digitallest

I used to read about horror stories like this, and even see some on the 20/20 type shows. I thought they would be a thing of the past in this day and age.

Did you have a signed, written contract? Why not sue them after the fact. Tell the judge you paid the ransom under duress to get your stuff back and avoid escalating "storage" (hostage) fees.

It was one of those things where the contract said something they did not like, but the person on the phone said something far more appealing, so they believed the voice on the phone, and signed the "you will be robbed" contract, believing they were not going to get robbed.

officeguy

Interstate moving companies are pretty much immune from getting sued over those kinds of things. There are specific federal laws that regulate that industry and those laws give the companies tremendous leverage. The only time it is worth dealing with the inter-state moving mafia is if you work for a large employer and your companies relocation department deals with them. If they know that a million dollar contract is at stake if the eff up, they may behave. If it is just you, jo-schmo customer they will steal your stuff and charge you extra for doing so.

digitallest

I think the Penske truck may cover our need to control the whole process. I might be willing to let pirates sail in and slide off with some highly prized booty, artfully rendered in glazed ceramic. Then, I will offer to handle the negotiations, step in like a hero, take myself out to lunch, then come back all distraught...

BOP

I think the Penske truck may cover our need to control the whole process. I might be willing to let pirates sail in and slide off with some highly prized booty, artfully rendered in glazed ceramic. Then, I will offer to handle the negotiations, step in like a hero, take myself out to lunch, then come back all distraught...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture...l-book-can-help-put-house-order/#.Vedfkn3nR7w

The book is about $12.00 at Amazon, and is an easy read. Trust me, it will change your life.

digitallest

I am much more orderly with a place to put things. Lol. But thank you. Edited to add, come to think of it, there will come a time when all the organizational help I can use will be instrumental. Thank you again.

I need to stay close, mom still needs help, and this is the time I will remember spending with my dad. I also need my own space, I have consolidated as much as I can. When the only personal space you have is your car, the interior of said car will reflect that. I am really looking forward to living in a state where I can afford a home of my own, and the property taxes.

Last edited:

MarieB

I'll have to double check, but I think our last move was done by Graebel. They packed and moved everything, including one vehicle. Nothing was broken and I don't recall having any complaints

Except we couldn't find the the glass turntable from the microwave for months. It was packed with a wall hanging from the kitchen, but of course that was more puzzling and funny at the same time.

Love the story

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
LOL.

FWIW....We had a Pack Rat container delivered and picked up on St. George's Island with no problem, and that was after having the same "nope" answer from PODS.

Gooseneck

We had Pack Rat deliver two containers to Avenue for our last move. I would be surprised if they wouldn't do Scotland. We were very pleased with their service.