PG Cop houses homeless mom & baby with his own money

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...-gets-food-hotel-homeless-mom-child/71354128/

HYATTSVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- Corporal Che Atkinson has worked as a police officer in Prince George's County for eight years, but most of don't know his name. Though that would change after his act of kindness was posted on the web .

"I told her this is what I'm going to find. I'm going to find you a place…I'm going to put you up for the night," Atkinson said.

With his own money, Atkinson bought food for the woman and her baby and got them a room at one of the hotels nearby.

"I'm a little overwhelmed and shocked. And the reason why is it didn't seem like a big deal to me because I see other officers do stuff like this all the time,” Atkinson said "It's not a big deal."

People online said what he did was far from ordinary, they say it was a "beautiful act of kindness."

Attachments

• 1441226250-0.jpg
    1441226250-0.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 290

Hijinx

It's a great story, but what happened to the Social worker he notified and why couldn't that Social worker find this woman a place to stay?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Just remember, there is no such thing as pure altruism. All human action is driven out of self-interest.

nutz

Then you know nothing about human nature. Fitting, since I'm pretty sure you're not a human, but rather a sh!t stain in my shorts.
Rather fitting since you are nothing but a big ass. Since nothing on here pleases you, why not buy a book and find a new pastime?

Last edited:

Hijinx

Then you know nothing about human nature. Fitting, since I'm pretty sure you're not a human, but rather a sh!t stain in my shorts.

You could always try washing your shorts, or even buy new ones. You obviously like sitting in sh1t.
Kind of weird, but then different strokes for different folks.

Now all your friends know about your scatological preferences. LOL.

tommyjo

It's a great story, but what happened to the Social worker he notified and why couldn't that Social worker find this woman a place to stay?

Maybe because those are the exact kinds of programs that you, and those who think like you (most people on here), scream and holler to cut/eliminate.

Remember the basis of your political viewpoint is that everyone should take care of themselves and that the govt has no business helping people (naturally you don't include your Social Security welfare sucking self in this position). If they need assistance they should go to their own community. Which is exactly what happened in this case.

So you complain that the gov't didn't help out? Nice.

tblwdc

Maybe because those are the exact kinds of programs that you, and those who think like you (most people on here), scream and holler to cut/eliminate.

That's a nice thought but THEY WEREN'T CUT OR ELIMINATED! You have a bunch of government workers who just don't do the job.

Hijinx

Remember the basis of your political viewpoint is that everyone should take care of themselves and that the govt has no business helping people (naturally you don't include your Social Security welfare sucking self in this position). If they need assistance they should go to their own community. Which is exactly what happened in this case.

So you complain that the gov't didn't help out? Nice.

LMAO you must be psychic to know so much about me.

What surprised me about Social Services is that they didn't arrive, snatch the woman's kid and leave her sitting in the police station as an unfit mother.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I would rather give out of self-interest than be like someone like you who doesn't give a damn out of self-interest.

Well, well, well …. look who is back - the ideologically confused coward. I guess that means you took me off ignore. Wow, that's more pathetic than having put me on ignore in the first place. :lmao:

Now: what was it you were saying, butt boy?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Just remember, there is no such thing as pure altruism. All human action is driven out of self-interest.

I disagree with you. Many people do selfless acts and don't even want recognition for it. There is such a thing as pure altruism. Many historical figures like Mother Teresa embodied that ideal. Many every day people donate to charity, or do a nice act anonymously, and never get credit for it because they don't want to be recognized. Obviously, you are not one of those people. To each his own. The officer was very kind in what he did, and no, he didn't have to do it.

Why are you so crass? You say people do nothing unless it is in their own self interest. Is it in your own self interest to treat people so horribly as you do on this forum. How do you act IRL? I shudder to think. Shiat stain on my shorts (your words). Really? Is this what you consider a productive discussion? I would write more, but you are beyond words. You are, actually, very disgusting. Try voting sometime. Maybe it will change your demeanor. Everyone deserves another chance.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well, well, well …. look who is back - the ideologically confused coward. I guess that means you took me off ignore. Wow, that's more pathetic than having put me on ignore in the first place. :lmao:

Now: what was it you were saying, butt boy?

The ignore feature allows for the viewing of a single post, if you choose. I chose to view this one. I'll not make that mistake again. You are, without a doubt, devoid of any redeeming qualities.

Hijinx

The ignore feature allows for the viewing of a single post, if you choose. I chose to view this one. I'll not make that mistake again. You are, without a doubt, devoid of any redeeming qualities.

Every forum needs a jester. someone to laugh and jeer at, Liberty performs that function. As long as you take nothing he says seriously he is entertaining.

BOP

Maybe it made him feel good, doing something to feel good is in your self interest.

While I agree with most everyone's assessment of Liberal Buttmunch, I happen to agree with him about human action and self-interest. Doing something to make yourself feel good is acting out of self interest, irrespective of whether the recipient of your action is helped or harmed by said action.

You all act like that's a bad thing.

Mother Theresa rationalized her charity as beneficial to the god she worshiped, but at the end of the day, she was acting in her own self interest.

If I tithe, or give to charity, yes, it benefits the recipients, but I also derive pleasure from the giving. If there is an added bonus of being able to deduct for that giving, it doesn't lesson the benefit to the receipients of that giving. Even if I act in rational self interest, which is the economist's preferred terminology, and only give because of the benefit to myself, the charity still benefits.

Bottom line: there's no such thing as pure altruism. Anyone can argue that Jesus acted purely selflessly, but the rest of us aren't Him, are we.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Altruism is when we act to promote someone else's welfare, even at a risk or cost to ourselves.

Now here we are living in a County with an all Volunteer Fire Department , and volunteer Rescue Squads.

The gasoline they use in their personal vehicles to respond to calls is not free , the time spent for training--and it's a lot of time, is their time taken to make them prepared to help others. A typical Rescue Squad call is an hour and a half, and at least 30 minutes of paperwork, time they take out of their lives to help their neighbors.

Now we can argue if we want that because they feel good about helping others it means that isn't true altruism
I call BULLSH!T.