Bring on the speed cams!!!!

tblwdc

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iihs-study-finds-speed-traps-could-save-thousands-lives-nationwide/

A new report could put speed cameras on the fast track. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) believes that if the nation had a speed camera program like Montgomery County, Maryland, 21,000 deaths or serious injuries could be prevented every year, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave.

Traffic deaths have been decreasing nationwide, but this reports estimates Montgomery County cameras have saved between 400-500 lives since 2007. As of last month, only 138 communities in the U.S. use the cameras.

Can't wait till we get them in the other two Southern Maryland Counties.

SamSpade

FWIW - I'm generally in favor of red light cameras and speed cams, provided they are used in conjunction with normal speed levels.
For example, they're used on New Hampshire Ave in Montgomery County where the speed limits can be as low as 35-40 mph on a six lane divided road - a ridiculously low speed.

But I find it almost intuitively obvious that if people actually did the speed limits on most roads, they're be fewer accidents. Objecting to a speed camera strikes me as the same as objecting to an actual police officer pulling over a speeder.

This_person

FWIW - I'm generally in favor of red light cameras and speed cams, provided they are used in conjunction with normal speed levels.
For example, they're used on New Hampshire Ave in Montgomery County where the speed limits can be as low as 35-40 mph on a six lane divided road - a ridiculously low speed.

But I find it almost intuitively obvious that if people actually did the speed limits on most roads, they're be fewer accidents. Objecting to a speed camera strikes me as the same as objecting to an actual police officer pulling over a speeder.
I was with you up to the last sentence. An officer has discretion on issuing tickets for a reason. When I go to work in the morning, there are many 45 and 55 mph zones that if I do not do 70 in I would be impeding traffic and likely would be a cause of accidents instead of less likely to be in one. Similarly, there are days of bad weather or when people are unusually out or other such things that it would be dangerous to be doing the full speed limit. Cameras take all of that out of consideration.

SamSpade

I was with you up to the last sentence. An officer has discretion on issuing tickets for a reason. When I go to work in the morning, there are many 45 and 55 mph zones that if I do not do 70 in I would be impeding traffic and likely would be a cause of accidents instead of less likely to be in one. Similarly, there are days of bad weather or when people are unusually out or other such things that it would be dangerous to be doing the full speed limit. Cameras take all of that out of consideration.

I get it - but my remark was saying there are people who actually object to the cop being there at all - you know, as though the response is "whatsa matter officer, not enough other crime to work on in this county?". If you don't speed, there's zero chance you'll get a ticket for speeding. Most of the time when I've been caught, my initial anger at the cop dissipates once I realize if I hadn't been speeding, it wouldn't have happened.

Over time, I've tried to learn where the low speed zones are, and having learned the hard way - I follow them. My expectation is that other drivers have as well, so slowing down shouldn't cause a problem even if it does create a backup of cars as they slow down. There's a stretch of road on Adelphi Road near the U of M where it's *25* mph - on a four lane divided road. No reason. I still don't get the slow area in Mechanicsville and only on southbound 235. But I observe it because I've been caught.

My thought about cameras is that, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen some daredevil schmuck zoom down the road and not get caught. For every idiot who goes 55+ down a small residential road - like I live on. At least once a week I have to yank my kids to the side of the road because someone has to drive twenty miles per hour or more above the speed limit. I know it's just a matter of time before someone gets hit. The problem with these idiots is that they will think that THEY are safe, not giving a thought to the safety of those on the street - or in other cars.

This_person

I get it - but my remark was saying there are people who actually object to the cop being there at all - you know, as though the response is "whatsa matter officer, not enough other crime to work on in this county?". If you don't speed, there's zero chance you'll get a ticket for speeding. Most of the time when I've been caught, my initial anger at the cop dissipates once I realize if I hadn't been speeding, it wouldn't have happened.

Over time, I've tried to learn where the low speed zones are, and having learned the hard way - I follow them. My expectation is that other drivers have as well, so slowing down shouldn't cause a problem even if it does create a backup of cars as they slow down. There's a stretch of road on Adelphi Road near the U of M where it's *25* mph - on a four lane divided road. No reason. I still don't get the slow area in Mechanicsville and only on southbound 235. But I observe it because I've been caught.

My thought about cameras is that, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen some daredevil schmuck zoom down the road and not get caught. For every idiot who goes 55+ down a small residential road - like I live on. At least once a week I have to yank my kids to the side of the road because someone has to drive twenty miles per hour or more above the speed limit. I know it's just a matter of time before someone gets hit. The problem with these idiots is that they will think that THEY are safe, not giving a thought to the safety of those on the street - or in other cars.

:yay: Fair enough - we agree!

Hijinx

The Insurance companies are not interested in saving lives their interest is in profits. They feel that speed camera's will add to their profit. The lives are just coincidental.

If there is truth to their poll. By the way there isn't enough film in their camera's to take all the pictures that would be taken on the beltway .
Wonder how long before the cameras would be accused of being racist for profiling black drivers on the beltway.
Be kind of fun to watch that.

dan0623_2000

"At least once a week I have to yank my kids to the side of the road because someone has to drive twenty miles per hour or more above the speed limit. "

If you and your kids stayed out of the road you would not have to yank them to the side of the road.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I think that precedent has been set here by officially setting that speeding is anything over 12 mph by those speed cameras. By this logic, no one should ever be pulled over for doing 66-67 in a 55 mph zone. Or 46-47 in a 35 mph zone, etc. If curtailing speeding is what they really want, (since speeding is bad and dangerous), to change, then it should be set a 1 mph over the posted limit. There have been those here that say exceeding the limit by 1 mph is breaking the law. There are those that want absolute adherence to all speed limits and belittle anyone for complaining about getting a ticket or seeing those speed traps. So, if anyone is pulled over for "speeding" and the charge is for under 12 mph over the speed limit, there is now a defense. If it's not a chargeable offense to do 11 mph over the speed limit in a "speed camera zone", then it is not as well elsewhere.

tblwdc

The Insurance companies are not interested in saving lives their interest is in profits. They feel that speed camera's will add to their profit. The lives are just coincidental.

If there is truth to their poll. By the way there isn't enough film in their camera's to take all the pictures that would be taken on the beltway .
Wonder how long before the cameras would be accused of being racist for profiling black drivers on the beltway.
Be kind of fun to watch that.

What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies?

SamSpade

"At least once a week I have to yank my kids to the side of the road because someone has to drive twenty miles per hour or more above the speed limit. "

If you and your kids stayed out of the road you would not have to yank them to the side of the road.

Don't be an ass. There are no sidewalks and we walk beyond the white line. I'm moving into the grass because some nitwit can't pay attention. Just this morning some jerk was driving a good quarter mile on the wrong side of the road.
It took so long for him to correct, we were sure it had to be a Brit who didn't know which side of the pond he woke up on.

You guessed it - cell phone.

Hijinx

You're right, I should have phrased my question better. What do speed cameras have to do with insurance companies profits if they are not about safety?

Oh there is no doubt the slower you drive the safer you are-------------- until you start getting in the way.

Try driving at 55 on the beltway.
My opinion is that the insurance companies are more worried about profit than safety ,Safety just happens to be a side factor, in some cases.

tblwdc

Ask the insurance companies, they are the ones doing the studies.

I clarified my thought in another post. You said they don't care about lives, but profits. Other than less accidents occurring, which of course saves lives, how do speed cameras effect their profits?

tblwdc

Oh there is no doubt the slower you drive the safer you are-------------- until you start getting in the way.

Try driving at 55 on the beltway.
My opinion is that the insurance companies are more worried about profit than safety ,Safety just happens to be a side factor, in some cases.

Nobody is getting a ticket for going a mile or two over the speed limit, so what you would really be talking about is 65 on the beltway. I have and do drive that speed all the time. Never been in an accident.

Hijinx

Nobody is getting a ticket for going a mile or two over the speed limit, so what you would really be talking about is 65 on the beltway. I have and do drive that speed all the time. Never been in an accident.

Personally I believe more accidents are caused by illegal turns, not looking before entering the highway,and ramming people in the back because somebody didn't pay attention than from speeding. I see very few accident where speed is really a factor and then it is a really exceptional high sped and an idiot or drunk at the wheel.