2 killed on Harley Motorcycle in Calvert Thursday

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at approximately 1940 hours members of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office Patrol Bureau and Crash Reconstruction Team responded to the intersection of MD Route 4 and Rousby Hall Road for the report of a serious motor vehicle crash. Upon arrival units located three vehicles that were involved in a collision. One of the vehicles involved was a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Preliminary investigation revealed a 2001 Harley Davidson motorcycle operated by Conrado Rago Fabricante Jr, a 55 year old male of Broomes Island, was traveling northbound on MD Route 4 in the area of Rousby Hall Road. The motorcycle was also occupied by a rear passenger, Lauren Shelby Pitt, a 27 year old female of Hollywood MD. As the motorcycle entered the intersection, a 2009 Jeep Wrangler operated by Joseph James Illar, a 57 year old male of Lusby, entered the intersection in an attempt to make a left turn to travel west on Rousby Hall Road and collided with the motorcycle. As a result of the collision both the operator and the rear passenger were ejected from the motorcycle. After the collision the motorcycle continued travelling west and struck a 2014 Mercedes Benz SUV, which was stopped on Rousby Hall Road waiting to turn right onto northbound MD Route 4. The Mercedes was operated by Julianne Robin Posey, a 53 year old female of Broomes Island. Subsequent to the collision with the Mercedes, the motorcycle and the Mercedes caught fire.

Fabricante and Pitt were both killed and were pronounced dead on the scene by emergency medical personnel. Illar was treated on the scene for minor injuries and was released. Posey also sustained minor injuries and was released after assessment on the scene.

At this time the causation of the collision and fault remains under investigation.

The bodies of Fabricante and Pitt were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore where an autopsy will be performed.

Deputy W. Rector and other members of the Crash Reconstruction Team are conducting an investigation into the events that led up to the collision. Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Dep. Rector at 410-535-2800 or via e-mail at rectorwa@co.cal.md.us

Photos courtesy of Calvert Co. Sheriff's Office

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 565
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 506
  • enlargement.jpg
    enlargement.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 480

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Two beautiful people died too young as a result of this 'accident'. I hope the person that caused it gets vehicular manslaughter charges filed against them times 2.

Roman

Two beautiful people died too young as a result of this 'accident'. I hope the person that caused it gets vehicular manslaughter charges filed against them times 2.
Sorry for your loss Suz.

digitallest

Every time I see a "rider down" news posting, my heart sinks. Godspeed to the fallen, may the living find comfort in happy memories. I am sorry for your loss.

littlelady

God bless the USA
So very sorry. We know this family from school and other social interactions. Great people. All I can do is say prayers, and express condolences for their loss. There are never the right words for situations like this.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
So we know that it was the Jeeps fault ? That intersection is controlled with a light, so unlike many left turn accidents, it was clear who had the right of way. If the bike had the light, the old "I just didn't see it" excuse can't be used

dilligaf.

So we know that it was the Jeeps fault ? That intersection is controlled with a light, so unlike many left turn accidents, it was clear who had the right of way. If the bike had the light, the old "I just didn't see it" excuse can't be used

when turning left onto Rousby Hall Road - the light either has a solid green arrow, a solid red stop arrow and then also a flashing red arrow - which means it's ok to turn if clear.

3CATSAILOR

Any way you cut it, this is a terrible thing. There are too many m/c accidents in Southern Maryland. I don't know whether or not this was a factor in this accident, but almost every time I look to the car beside me stopped at a stop light, I see someone "texting". In most cases, the police do not determine whether or not the person was texting at the time of the accident. So, a serious contributing factor often will go "unnoticed". Texting may not have been the problem of why the person didn't see the m/c. But, it is a factor that is frequently unnoticed in so many other serious accidents. From time to time our police will have some enforcement initiatives.