Another Fatal Crash in Calvert; Alcohol involved again...

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
On September 5, 2015 at approximately 1539 hours, Calvert County Sheriff's Office Patrol units were dispatched to a serious personal injury crash on Maryland Route 231 near Heather Road in Prince Frederick. Upon arrival units observed a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado and a 2003 GMC Envoy with heavy front end damage. It was evident the vehicles had been involved in a head on offset collision. The passenger compartment of the GMC Envoy was severely compromised during the collision. There were two patients in the Envoy and one in the Silverado.

Due to the extent of the driver of the Envoy's injuries, Patrol Units called for the Crash Reconstruction Team to respond to assist with the investigation. Members from the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad, the Huntingtown Volunteer Fire Department and Calvert Advanced Life Support responded to the scene and extricated the patients from both vehicles.

The driver of the Envoy was severely injured during the collision and was transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced deceased by the emergency room doctor. The deceased was identified as Peter Schroeder, 59, of Chesapeake Beach, Maryland. The front seat passenger of the Envoy was the wife of the deceased, Mary Schroeder, 54, also of Chesapeake Beach. Mary Schroeder was transported to the Medstar trauma center in Washington DC via MSP helicopter where she is listed in serious but stable condition.

The driver of the Silverado was identified as Robert Rambo, 57, of Prince Frederick, Maryland. Rambo was transported via MSP helicopter to Medstar trauma center in Washington DC where he is listed in stable condition.

Preliminary investigation by the Crash Reconstruction Team revealed the Chevrolet Silverado operated by Rambo was travelling westbound along Maryland Route 231 when it crossed the double yellow center line and drove onto the shoulder. The GMC Envoy was travelling eastbound on Rt. 231. The operator of the Envoy drove onto the eastbound shoulder in an effort to avoid being struck by the Chevrolet Silverado. The Chevrolet Silverado struck the Envoy on the eastbound shoulder, pushing the Envoy backwards, and destroyed the Envoy's passenger compartment. The Crash Reconstruction Team members gathered all pertinent evidence from the scene and documented their findings.

The Patrol Units on scene detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from the passenger compartment of Rambo's vehicle. Deputies responded to Medstar in Washington DC where a blood draw was administered to determine blood alcohol content. It is believed alcohol and driver error are the major contributing factors in this crash.

If you witnessed this crash or the series of events that led up to it please contact Deputy First Class Jeff Hardesty of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office Crash Reconstruction Team. Dfc. Hardesty can be reached at 410-535-2800 or email him at hardesje@co.cal.md.us.

Photo of the crash: https://twitter.com/PFVFD2/status/640337455284097024

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, here's a big shocker. There is a Robert Wayne Rambo, DOB 9/7/1959 (which makes the age correct) in the Maryland judicial database. Looks like at least 3 DUI convictions and a bunch of other stuff. Time to throw away the key with this guy...

Attachments

• rambo.jpg
    rambo.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 958

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the GMC Envoy did not do well in the crash tests, and that Chevrolet Silverado obliterated the front of the GMC Envoy

Roman

Today is Mr. Rambo's birthday. Do any of you have some birthday wishes for him? I do, and it's a wish for him to spend a good part of his life behind bars, and I don't mean drinking holes either.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
From the article, and pictures, it was a near head on collision. I live close to Rt. 231, and travel it all the time. The area where that crash occurred leaves very little room to escape a head on collision, once an oncoming vehicle crosses the center line heading your way.

I mean, seriously, what type of vehicle can survive a crash like that? They seemed to have had very little time to get over, as it is.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Agree with Bann. I don't like 231, in Calvert or Charles, have driven it hundreds of times. When my M.I.L. lived in Waldorf and we live in Huntingtown. When my wife and s.i.l. would go over there, i would always say if you have to, go 231 go that way in the daytime, if you are there late please come home 301 to 4 south. There are to many places on that road if someone swerves at you there is no escape. Doesn't look like it is that safe in the daytime anymore. jmho

Last edited:

Inkd

Well, here's a big shocker. There is a Robert Wayne Rambo, DOB 9/7/1959 (which makes the age correct) in the Maryland judicial database. Looks like at least 3 DUI convictions and a bunch of other stuff. Time to throw away the key with this guy...

How can you tell there were DUI cases?

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
From the article, and pictures, it was a near head on collision.

Technically, they called it an offset head-on collision. The impact was on the driver's side, which is why his wife survived. Following is an example:

[video=youtube;3yC5OmunHSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yC5OmunHSI[/video]

The top speed of the 1st car was just under 34 MPH and 22 MPH for the second, equivalent to hitting a tree or wall at 56 MPH. Imagine if they were both going 55 MPH.

NOTE: This post is to add to the conversation and not necessarily criticize or condemn the original poster's snippet which is quoted above.

Bann

PREMO Member
Technically, they called it an offset head-on collision. The impact was on the driver's side, which is why his wife survived. Following is an example:
I know that, and that is why I called it a near head on collision.

I still ask - what type of vehicle can survive a crash like that. Especially if they are going faster than 34 or 22 mph. IIRC, the speed limit on Rt. 231 is 50 and under(30-45) depending on where you are. I'm pretty sure it is not 50 right there.

I was really responding to GURPS' assertion that the Envoy did poorly in crash tests.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
from MADD.org:

Penalties for Drunk Driving Vehicular Homicide

Victims of drunk driving crashes are given a life sentence. In instances of vehicular homicide caused by drunk drivers, these offenders rarely receive a life sentence in prison.

Laws vary greatly on the amount of jail or prison time a drunk driver who kills an innocent person may receive. Most states have laws specifying penalties for drunk drivers who kill another person. Other states, like North Dakota and Arizona, do not but are able to bring charges that may bring incarceration through other statutes.

Laws providing penalties for drunk drivers who kill allow for vast judicial discretion. As a result, offenders may receive days in jail followed by probation or in very rare instances—a life sentence.

Specifically, in Maryland:

0 to 5 years

Homicide while DUI: Not more than 5 years and/or not more than $5,000.

MD CRIM LAW § 2-503.

http://www.madd.org/laws/law-overview/Vehicular_Homicide_Overview.pdf

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
The top speed of the 1st car was just under 34 MPH and 22 MPH for the second, equivalent to hitting a tree or wall at 56 MPH. Imagine if they were both going 55 MPH.
That is an incorrect conclusion. The correct approximate impact speed, with about near, or, equal mass (weight), would have been about 28mph, with the car traveling at 34mph pushing the slower backwards. See how the white (slower) car went backwards when it was hit?
Also if two cars, of near, or, equal mass, were to hit head-on at 55mph, then the total impact speed would be 55mph. In essence, like driving into an immovable brick wall. Simple science.

Bann

PREMO Member
I know that, and that is why I called it a near head on collision.

I still ask - what type of vehicle can survive a crash like that. Especially if they are going faster than 34 or 22 mph. IIRC, the speed limit on Rt. 231 is 50 and under(30-45) depending on where you are. I'm pretty sure it is not 50 right there.

I was really responding to GURPS' assertion that the Envoy did poorly in crash tests.

Edit: I went by there tonight on the way home from the softball game -and it IS indeed 50 mph through that area. However, if there is any steady traffic on that road, it's a bit tough to be doing 50. There's nearly always steady traffic on that road, too.

Oh, well. Horrible crash.

dgates80

Land of the lost
If I may ...That is an incorrect conclusion. The correct approximate impact speed, with about near, or, equal mass (weight), would have been about 28mph, with the car traveling at 34mph pushing the slower backwards. See how the white (slower) car went backwards when it was hit?
Also if two cars, of near, or, equal mass, were to hit head-on at 55mph, then the total impact speed would be 55mph. In essence, like driving into an immovable brick wall. Simple science.

In a direct head on, wouldn't the velocities be additive? Thus impact energy equal to 110mph? I think vector math is applicable here.

MMDad

Lem Putt
In a direct head on, wouldn't the velocities be additive? Thus impact energy equal to 110mph? I think vector math is applicable here.

No. If two cars of similar mass are both going 50 MPH, then each car would absorb the energy equal to hitting an immovable object at 50 MPH.

energy = Mass * velocity[SUP]2[/SUP]

If I use 4,000 lbs and 50 MPH, then each car brings about 453K Joules to impact for a total of 906K Joules. If each car absorbs an equal amount of energy then they each absorb 453K Joules.

If the same car hit an immovable object, then it would absorb 453K Joules.

If a car was travelling 100 MPH, then it would bring about 1.8M Joules to impact. That's more then double the energy in the two car crash, and quadruple the energy of the one car crash.