Enforcement done right, Go Sheriff Cameron :)

glhs837

Power with Control
So, just got forwarded a press release from the Sheriffs office. Seems over the next serveal days, the COPS unit and the Traffic Safety Unit will be pulling some hours out at Gate 1 and Gate 2. Specifically looking for box blockers and folks who go past Gate 2 heading south and pull an illegal U-turn to come back north and hit Gate 2 that way. Not said, but I hope they also go after the people coming from the south who bypass the turn lanes and turn right directly into the gate, by passing the dedicated turn lane.

And no, I don't just like the enforcement that benefits me, I use Gate 3 and don't have to deal with 1 and 2s idiocy, thank God. I've felt for a long time that even one or two hours once or twice a month would be enough to get a deterrent effect for these behaviors.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Ah, you beat me to it...

I guess we can add intersection-blockers to left-lane-hoggers and tail-gaters as top traits of local drivers.

---

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Lexington Park COPs Unit and Traffic Safety Unit will be conducting traffic enforcement at Gate 1 and Gate 2 at Naval Air Station Patuxent River.

Members of the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Lexington Park COPs Unit and Traffic Safety Unit will be conducting traffic enforcement at Gate 1 and Gate 2 at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland. This enforcement effort is in response to two primary concerns.

First, deputies will be looking for vehicles blocking the intersection and the northbound lanes of travel on Route 235. Drivers blocking the intersection while attempting to turn into the base from the southbound lanes of Route 235 or while crossing the intersection from Route 246 will be cited.

Maryland Traffic Law Article 21-1003 states: "A person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle in an intersection." This violation is a $70 FINE AND 0 POINTS.

Second, deputies will be looking for motorists traveling southbound on Route 235 and performing an illegal U-Turn just south of Gate 2 to enter Gate 2 from the northbound lanes of Route 235.

Maryland Traffic Law Article 21-201 states: "The driver of any vehicle shall obey the instructions of any traffic control device." in this case, the No U-Turn sign being the traffic control device. This violation is a $90 FINE AND 1 POINT.

Deputies will be conducting traffic enforcement at various times over a period of several days. Sheriff Tim Cameron and the men and women of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office ask you to do your part and obey all traffic laws. We are enforcing a ZERO TOLERANCE OPERATION, and ALL VIOLATORS will be ticketed. These violations cause an inconvenience and unnecessary delay to travelers on Route 235 not entering NAS Patuxent River, but more importantly—they create a serious public safety issue.

Attachments

• dont-block.gif
    dont-block.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,538
Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

So, just got forwarded a press release from the Sheriffs office. Seems over the next serveal days, the COPS unit and the Traffic Safety Unit will be pulling some hours out at Gate 1 and Gate 2. Specifically looking for box blockers and folks who go past Gate 2 heading south and pull an illegal U-turn to come back north and hit Gate 2 that way. Not said, but I hope they also go after the people coming from the south who bypass the turn lanes and turn right directly into the gate, by passing the dedicated turn lane.

And no, I don't just like the enforcement that benefits me, I use Gate 3 and don't have to deal with 1 and 2s idiocy, thank God. I've felt for a long time that even one or two hours once or twice a month would be enough to get a deterrent effect for these behaviors.

Guess I better get my You're #1! finger warmed up. Why? The folks who blast the horn when you don't pull into/block the intersection.
See that all the time @ Gate II; from 235 and GMR.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I see a BMW a doing this I know who to look for

Whodat? Not me, it's a rare occasion for me to take either of them to work. 99% Suzuki bike, .5% the Charger. and of course, I use Gate 3. :) Only problem down there is the bozos from Gate 2 and Gate 3 clogging our crap up.

glhs837

Power with Control
Guess I better get my You're #1! finger warmed up. Why? The folks who blast the horn when you don't pull into/block the intersection.

If I were in that, I think a big ol' friendly wave and a smile would be better :)

If a horn honks and you ignore it... does it really make a sound?

bilbur

I am glad they are finally doing this. Nothing is more frustrating than doing the right thing, waiting for the cars to give you enough space to get through, then some jerks use this as a free pass to cut into your lane and blocking the intersection. To the jerks that do this, I am not leaving a gap so you can speed up the lane next to me and cut in front of me, I am leaving a gap so if the light changes I am not sitting in the middle of the intersection blocking everyone else from going just to save 30 seconds. Wait in line like everyone else, you are not special.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I am glad they are finally doing this. Nothing is more frustrating than doing the right thing, waiting for the cars to give you enough space to get through, then some jerks use this as a free pass to cut into your lane and blocking the intersection. To the jerks that do this, I am not leaving a gap so you can speed up the lane next to me and cut in front of me, I am leaving a gap so if the light changes I am not sitting in the middle of the intersection blocking everyone else from going just to save 30 seconds. Wait in line like everyone else, you are not special.

Might as well save yourself some typing bilbur. Those that do are gonna do. THOSE are the one's who should get the big tickets with the hefty fines.

glhs837

Power with Control
But only for a short time after the enforcement action, which is why I think regular but random actions serve better than 2-3 days of hitting it. You can be pretty sur3e,once this passes, they wont do it again for a year or more. Last time was year a year ago, closer to two, I think.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
yup, glad they are doing this again, but as gl says, random is best... The d1ckhead move of the u turn is the worst, then they try to squeeze me, look at me like i'm the d1ck as i'm coming into gate two, F U you can sit there, i got people behind me

Goldenhawk

I'm all for this enforcement.

Speaking of folks laying on the horn when you're obeying the law.... I was stopped at the stoplight on Great Mills Rd in the right lane, first in line to cross onto the base, and the lady in the car behind me starts laying on the horn repeatedly, waving at me to make that right turn !(*#&^%@ NOW. Like, she couldn't see that it wasn't a right-turn-only lane, and I *must* be a total jerk because I wasn't turning right on red. I ignored her for a while but she kept at it. Finally I simply got out of my car, walked back, and calmly informed her that I was going straight and didn't need to turn. She got all angry and started screaming "get back in your *&%^^*$ car!".

There's no accounting for people who don't know the law.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not said, but I hope they also go after the people coming from the south who bypass the turn lanes and turn right directly into the gate, by passing the dedicated turn lane.

I'm not sure this is illegal, or "ticketable"..

I basically do this every day, as the turn lane coming from the South relegates us to the right lane only coming into gate 2.. the jackasses coming from the north will all pile into that lane blocking us, while there is an empty third lane and room for cars in the second lane to get in... If there isn't room in those two lanes when I get the green, I'll continue on to gate 1.. but that hasn't happened yet.. Lane 1 (if you're coming from the South) is always blocked tight, while there is always room for cars to get into lane 2 or 3

Skipping the turn lane and turning right into the most northern lane makes for less congestion coming from the South, and actually uses the third lane for it's intended purpose.. and BTW.. why should the people coming from the South not be allowed the same benefit of ALL three lanes like everyone else?

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

I'm not sure this is illegal, or "ticketable"...
Try it next week and let us know how it goes for you. I'm pretty sure you'll be ticketed.

It's "avoiding the instructions of a traffic control device". A traffic control device (as stated in the MD statues) includes signs. The sign instructs you of the proper way to turn. So turning differently than directed by the sign is definitely against the law.

If you disagree, feel free to argue with the judge.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not sure this is illegal, or "ticketable"..

I basically do this every day, as the turn lane coming from the South relegates us to the right lane only coming into gate 2.. the jackasses coming from the north will all pile into that lane blocking us, while there is an empty third lane and room for cars in the second lane to get in... If there isn't room in those two lanes when I get the green, I'll continue on to gate 1.. but that hasn't happened yet.. Lane 1 (if you're coming from the South) is always blocked tight, while there is always room for cars to get into lane 2 or 3

Skipping the turn lane and turning right into the most northern lane makes for less congestion coming from the South, and actually uses the third lane for it's intended purpose.. and BTW.. why should the people coming from the South not be allowed the same benefit of ALL three lanes like everyone else?

Thought we beat this to death last year in the Rt4/Rt235 intersection thread :) And that failure to follow the dedicated lane into the intersection was a citable offense. The markings for that lane make it the only legal way to make that turn.

And yes, they do, own two of them now, unlike the bikes, the cars eventually become affordable used rides. :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Try it next week and let us know how it goes for you. I'm pretty sure you'll be ticketed.

It's "avoiding the instructions of a traffic control device". A traffic control device (as stated in the MD statues) includes signs. The sign instructs you of the proper way to turn. So turning differently than directed by the sign is definitely against the law.

If you disagree, feel free to argue with the judge.

next week? I'm going to do it tomorrow.. Would have done it this morning if I didn't have to go to PJ's..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thought we beat this to death last year in the Rt4/Rt235 intersection thread :) And that failure to follow the dedicated lane into the intersection was a citable offense. The markings for that lane make it the only legal way to make that turn.

And yes, they do, own two of them now, unlike the bikes, the cars eventually become affordable used rides. :)

But in doing so I'm not hindering traffic, nor am I blocking the box.. In fact I'm having just the opposite effect, I'm ensuring there is less traffic back up coming from the South.. enhancing the traffic rate entering the gate.. and just all around making everyone's life better.. (I think I do that merely by existing, but I still try to do my part).

Nothing more infuriating in the morning when coming from the South then having that first lane totally blocked, people even into the intersection, and there's room for 3 or 4 cars in the second and third lanes.. and they won't move over!!

But in doing so I'm not hindering traffic, nor am I blocking the box.. In fact I'm having just the opposite effect, I'm ensuring there is less traffic back up coming from the South.. enhancing the traffic rate entering the gate.. and just all around making everyone's life better.. (I think I do that merely by existing, but I still try to do my part).
It is illegal, but do be sure to invoke the "Dr. Bob Logical Overrule" motion and let us know how it works out...:lmao: