Re-seeding a 1 ache lawn in Owings, MD

steppinthrax

Re-seeding a 1 acre lawn in Owings, MD

Just curious if anyone had any experience on this. I have roughly an acre. It's mostly weeds (90% or so). I moved into the house roughly 3 years ago. The property is on a well and septic. There is also an area that has a lot of shade (mostly dirt). My question is the process of pretty much rebuilding the lawn into full grass. My understanding is I was told last I need to burn everything out with roundup, spike aerate and re-seed.... Just need some opinions on this. Also since I have a well there will not be much watering....

I contacted Hatchers Farm and Supply in Huntingtown. They pretty much told me what I was thinking. They indicated I should put roundup after it rains and that I should put down some lime and some starter fertilizer after the seed.

I would much rather do this myself!

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Goodness, that's gonna be expensive. I reseeded a very small area, about 20'x30' and it cost me a small fortune. Small in this case about $175 for seed and whatnot.

But why use roundup, aka Glyphosate, that has been banned in many European countries? What Do We Really Know About Roundup Weed Killer? "Last month, an international agency declared glyphosate, the primary ingredient in the popular product Roundup, a “probable human carcinogen.” The weed killer also has made recent headlines for its widespread use on genetically modified seeds and research that links it to antibiotics resistance and hormone disruption. Several national governments are planning to restrict its use, and some school districts are talking about banning it." Don't poison yourself, and your lawn, and your neighbors lawn and the bay, etc, by way of run off from rain.

There must be other useful and safer alternatives? Why not heavy thatch and put seed down and let the new grass crowd out the weeds, maybe that will work?

There must be other useful and safer alternatives? Why not heavy thatch and put seed down and let the new grass crowd out the weeds, maybe that will work?

Black plastic in the sun. It will kill the grass weeds and any seeds under it. Then a topsoil topping and seed.

steppinthrax

If I may ...

Goodness, that's gonna be expensive. I reseeded a very small area, about 20'x30' and it cost me a small fortune. Small in this case about $175 for seed and whatnot.

But why use roundup, aka Glyphosate, that has been banned in many European countries? What Do We Really Know About Roundup Weed Killer? "Last month, an international agency declared glyphosate, the primary ingredient in the popular product Roundup, a “probable human carcinogen.” The weed killer also has made recent headlines for its widespread use on genetically modified seeds and research that links it to antibiotics resistance and hormone disruption. Several national governments are planning to restrict its use, and some school districts are talking about banning it." Don't poison yourself, and your lawn, and your neighbors lawn and the bay, etc, by way of run off from rain.

Oh god, not more more of this liberal bull####!!!!

black dog

Free America
Hello, Hatcher's Supply, and Rick and Wayne at MRWLawn,,, do yourself a favor and dodge this bullet...

The juice will not be worth the squeeze..

Chris0nllyn

Screw roundup.

Go to Hatchers and get "Eraser". Work's much better.

You've got the right idea though. Kill it, till it, and seed it.

Water, water, and more water. 2-3 times a day for the first month or so at least, then 1 time a day.

steppinthrax

Screw roundup.

Go to Hatchers and get "Eraser". Work's much better.

You've got the right idea though. Kill it, till it, and seed it.

Water, water, and more water. 2-3 times a day for the first month or so at least, then 1 time a day.

Eraser is 41% Glyco. You can get some cheap Glyco (41%) from Walmart.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Adam's Landscaping is reseeding my front and side yard.
Tilling, topsoil, compost and line seeding.

$3500, with the top soil being half the cost.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Oh god, not more more of this liberal bull####!!!!
JHFC! Why does everything have to be about a perceived effing liberal agenda? No, steppinthrax, just offering an alternative to chemical usage and addressing the reported dangers of glyphosate.

steppinthrax

Adam's Landscaping is reseeding my front and side yard.
Tilling, topsoil, compost and line seeding.

$3500, with the top soil being half the cost.

$3500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 bags of Pennington is around 250 or so. Then roundup and run my aerator....

Stew

Curious, what's a "fair" price to pay for someone to aerate and seed 1/4 acre yard? Company recently quoted me $550 which I thought was sky high.

steppinthrax

If I may ...The spread rate for a Sun & Shade Mix grass seed is 4 to 6 pounds per 1,000 square feet. For your acre, you are going to need about 120 pounds of seed. Lowes seed calculator

50 lb bag at Hatch is roughly 80 or so. Yes, the seed calculator is OK, so 3 bags would be 150 lbs roughly $240.

There are also areas where seed won't grow and areas where seed won't go. So it may end up taking less.

steppinthrax

Curious, what's a "fair" price to pay for someone to aerate and seed 1/4 acre yard? Company recently quoted me $550 which I thought was sky high.

Shop around and call a few people you might find different prices. Eventually you will find someone doing it for 200 bucks...