St. Mary's Internet

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Who are the provider's available in SM? Best price? Value?

Depends on where you are.

If you're South of gate three.. and South of St James you may only have Hughes Net, and Verizon to choose from for "High Speed" internet.

There is some Cable Internet available.. FIOS??

It all depends on where you are in the county, and what kind of speeds you are looking for.

chess

low 5... hi 5......
If your house has cable already, it's hard to beat metrocast, if that's unavailable, you might be able to get DSL from Verizon, failing that, you are left with either satellite, or possibly a 4g hotpsot from Verizon/.

Those are basically the only options.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, and while my list was meant to be in descending order, in reality, a 4g hotspot, while more expensive than sat or DSL, the performance increase should be worth it. If you game, or anyone in your house does, forget sat, it simply cannot be used for stuff other than surfing.

bilbur

I have DSL, it works fine for what I need it for. I don't stream movies or play high graphics games online. Cable is good if you need more bandwidth. I pay a little over $60 for my phone and DSL but that is bare bones phone service with no long distance.

officeguy

Compared with true broadband, metrocast is slow and expensive. I can't complain about their customer service though.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Depends on where you are.

If you're South of gate three.. and South of St James you may only have Hughes Net, and Verizon to choose from for "High Speed" internet.

There is some Cable Internet available.. FIOS??

It all depends on where you are in the county, and what kind of speeds you are looking for.

FiOS is a trademark of Verizon and is a fiber optic service.
Comcast has a version trademarked as Xfinitiy.

Metrocast is still using copper

Fiber has a higher bandwidth, and more fiber can be run in the same conduit than copper. Fiber also has the advantage of bot being susceptible to EMI.
Guess who aint seeing fiber in their lifetime.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have DSL, it works fine for what I need it for. I don't stream movies or play high graphics games online. Cable is good if you need more bandwidth. I pay a little over $60 for my phone and DSL but that is bare bones phone service with no long distance.

Hell, I thought the "triple play" came with the free long distance and voicemail. I don't know what Verizon is going to do with their affiliation with DircTV now that the competition (AT&T) owns DTV.
I'm thinking my days of discount are gone and frankly DSL is marginal. It was better in here until Verizon hack the lines for all the new homes. Data rate is now slightly above the advertised minimum.

Which is the warning I would offer to anyone getting cable. Your service is only going to be as good as the wires it's run over. I don't think Metrocast or any of it's predecessors have upgraded the wires in the older neighborhoods.
One of the comments I heard from the cable commission was Verizon, Comcast and Cox, no other cable company save the incumbent bid the contract. The majors all no-bid because the cost to upgrade the system to their standards would exceed the revenue they could get.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We have a very reliable Broadview T-1 (it's actually Verizon infrastructure but we buy our services from Broadview) that is being upgraded soon to be 10MB on the data side. It's expensive though.

BernieP

Resident PIA
We have a very reliable Broadview T-1 (it's actually Verizon infrastructure but we buy our services from Broadview) that is being upgraded soon to be 10MB on the data side. It's expensive though.

2 questions; what area does Broadview serve and how much is expensive?
The 1 - 3 Gb/sec DSL service Verizon offers isn't cheap, it's somewhere around $50.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
2 questions; what area does Broadview serve and how much is expensive?
The 1 - 3 Gb/sec DSL service Verizon offers isn't cheap, it's somewhere around $50.

For some reason, the Verizon DSL is not available on the island. Not much of anything is, except for Metrocast (which we have on house and apartment building, cottage) and Broadivew, which we have for the shop/office. The data side of the Broadview service (they provide all our phone lines too) is going to be about 700/month when it is upgraded to 10 MB. Yep....ouch!