State finally fines roadside advertising polluters

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Maryland, in the not too distant past, passed a law to prohibit roadside advertising signs that a handful of companies like to stick on the public right-of-way. Despite the law, quite a few signs continue to pollute the roadside. By my observation, the big regional homebuilders are the worst offenders.

Thanks to local citizen Walter Burch nagging the state to enforce the law, they have finally fined some of the offenders in St. Mary's Co.

The state issued fines of $25 per sign for 58 illegal signs — a total of $1,450 in fines on 16 companies.

Caruso Homes of Crofton was fined $250 for 10 signs. Flooring Max Design Center Mattress Gallery of Leonardtown was fined $200 for eight signs. Sport Clips of Lexington Park was also fined $200 for eight signs.

Papa John’s Pizza of Leonardtown was fined $125 for five signs, as was Gym Ratz Nutrition of Mechanicsville.

Sturbridge Homes of Gambrills was fined $100 for four signs, and so was Calvary Temple of Gambrills.

Burch said he still has an issue with Mattress Warehouse in California on Route 235. He said he has tried to get the state to take enforcement action on those signs since January, but since then the company “has continued trashing the public right of way with their litter on a stick every weekend without fail,” he said.

Fully story: http://www.somdnews.com/article/201...egal-roadside-signs&template=southernMaryland

I would love to see a smartPhone app that let citizens take photos of the offending signs and upload it to the state enforcement officials. The app could time- and geoPosition- stamp the submission so there was no chance of bogus reports. Then let the citizen share in the bounty--give them 50% of the fines collected. I'll bet the problem would dry up very quickly.

The other option is to vote with your dollars. Don't do business with the sign polluters.

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

So the communist state of maryland wasted our taxes to come up with a law that says you cant put out signs what a joke,and why the HELL would anyone care:elaine:

glhs837

Power with Control
well, the law has been around for quite a while. I'm thinking going back to the mid-90s at least. Businesses are allowed a certain time to place such signs, and they have to be removed by a certain time.

glhs837

Power with Control
And maybe it's not clear. This law applies to signage place in the public right of way. Like right next to the road on public property.

Grumpy

Wish there was a law against putting flyers under wipers on windshields..I would support that. As it is, I make a note to never patronize businesses (or people running for office) that do that.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Maryland, in the not too distant past, passed a law to prohibit roadside advertising signs that a handful of companies like to stick on the public right-of-way. Despite the law, quite a few signs continue to pollute the roadside. By my observation, the big regional homebuilders are the worst offenders.

Thanks to local citizen Walter Burch nagging the state to enforce the law, they have finally fined some of the offenders in St. Mary's Co.

Fully story: http://www.somdnews.com/article/201...egal-roadside-signs&template=southernMaryland

I would love to see a smartPhone app that let citizens take photos of the offending signs and upload it to the state enforcement officials. The app could time- and geoPosition- stamp the submission so there was no chance of bogus reports. Then let the citizen share in the bounty--give them 50% of the fines collected. I'll bet the problem would dry up very quickly.

The other option is to vote with your dollars. Don't do business with the sign polluters.

Wally Burch has been on the anti-sign kick for at least 25 years now. It takes dedication to stay pissed off at one topic for that long.

bilbur

Does this mean we will no longer see those attractive, hand painted, end the fed signs anymore? That is a shame because they made the median look so nice. :sarcasm:

Chris0nllyn

But the big ass signs in front of Dunkirk Park, at 260 and rt.2, and Calvert Middle's old site are cool, right?

LtownTaxpayer

What a great way to make some extra money. Collect signs that are legally posted and then put them in an illegal location, snap a picture, and cha-ching. Hopefully the state's enforcement of this will get the word out, and the signs will no longer be put in illegal locations. It seems like more homebuilders should be represented in the reported numbers. I see those signs every - and in locations that look dangerous to be putting a sign.

CalvertActiv

I'd love for them to fine the hot tub sales people. They put up 20+ signs at a spot. The Southern Connector circle had them going all the way around the circle one time.

glhs837

Power with Control
What a great way to make some extra money. Collect signs that are legally posted and then put them in an illegal location, snap a picture, and cha-ching. Hopefully the state's enforcement of this will get the word out, and the signs will no longer be put in illegal locations. It seems like more homebuilders should be represented in the reported numbers. I see those signs every - and in locations that look dangerous to be putting a sign.

That the thing that people don't seem to be getting. The law currently allows for such signs (size and height are controlled, that's why they are on short sticks) to be placed Friday, I think, and they have to be removed by sometime Sunday evening. I used to live across from a guy who did this for a living.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
But the big ass signs in front of Dunkirk Park, at 260 and rt.2, and Calvert Middle's old site are cool, right?
Exactly! Of course, those rights-of-ways are adjoined by property owned by the county. Just as in front of the Appeal landfill. Even though Charlie Gischlar, public information officer for SHA, said last week, "Signs can block drivers’ views and become distractions as motorists try to read them,... But the County certainly doesn't care. Don't ya know that that advertising, with those big (4 foot x 8 foot) signs, for things that compete for those same dollars that our local businesses compete for, are much more important. Do as we say, not as we do ... Governments motto. But then again, government hates competition.

What we have is a bunch of deity dammed cry babies, (waaa, waaaa, waaaaaa), worried about some signs. IF, again, IF, those sooooo concerned about signs, those watchful idiots would be demanding government to take down all their "illegal advertising" signs first, to lead by example. Besides, most of the time those stick signs are placed on a Friday afternoon and picked up on a Sunday, plus, they are much, much smaller. Has been going on forever, and will continue to. Because sure as hell, the state isn't going to be paying overtime for weekend enforcement sign crews. So get over it. Or if you really want to bitch about it, just head on up to PG county, or Montgomery County, or Howard or Anne Arundel. Now they have signs!

In essence it is about small businesses surviving, doing what is necessary. Long live the First Amendment!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
That the thing that people don't seem to be getting. The law currently allows for such signs (size and height are controlled, that's why they are on short sticks) to be placed Friday, I think, and they have to be removed by sometime Sunday evening. I used to live across from a guy who did this for a living.
It's not the law, but a lack of enforcement on weekends, thank goodness. It's still "illegal" on the weekends, just as on weekdays, but not enforced.

Chris0nllyn

But if Huntingtown High School is having a play, or the North Beach Fire Dept. is having a crab feast, they can be 4'x8' signs bunched together for months.

glhs837

Power with Control
But if Huntingtown High School is having a play, or the North Beach Fire Dept. is having a crab feast, they can be 4'x8' signs bunched together for months.

You are shocked, shocked, I say, by govt entities being immune to the law? Boy, are you in for a life of ulcers :) Sure about that law thing, LR?

Stew

Just yesterday I saw someone parked on the side of the highway taking pictures of all these signs. I was wondering what they were doing, now I see why.