No notice given on active/free range shooter in St Marys?

glhs837

Power with Control
http://smnewsnet.com/archives/392233/police-actively-searching-for-suspect-in-todays-shooting/

"UPDATE: Shooting scene is contained. No ACTIVE shooter situation. SMCSO is looking for suspect at this time.

UPDATED VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SUV operated by shooting suspect Tyreke Butler – is a SILVER newer model SUV

9/11/15 @ 11:40: The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s office has named Tyreke Delante Butler, 24 as the suspect in a shooting that occurred in the area of Far Cry Road in Lexington Park.

Suspect was last seen in a blue or black SILVER SUV wearing khaki shorts/ dark t shirt.

IF SEEN CALL 9 1 1 immediately if you see this vehicle and or suspect. DO NOT APPROACH. SUSPECT IS ARMED and DANGEROUS"

So, how does the whole reverse 911 thing work? I remember a few months back, people got warnings via text of a criminal that was on the loose, and the hue and cry was that the message went out to folks pretty far out, like 10-15 miles away. I live maybe 3-4 miles from where this is, and no messages? How does this work, is there a written policy that guides how the public alert system is supposed to operate?

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I got an e-mail from the school about the kids staying inside or something and then one saying they are having normal dismissal. I'd guess it's related.

:shrug:

Tech

Saw 2 staties and a county unit acting weird at Kohl's around noon,guess this was it.

glhs837

Power with Control
"Don't need no stinkin scanners, the Sheriff will keep you appraised of things you need to know about". See, stuff like this is why, although I generally think he's been a good Sheriff, there is room for improvement. I've got a teen son at home, along with a disabled sister-in-law and a non-communicative autistic. Knowing this sort of thing is going down about 3 miles away might be nice.

Tech

"Don't need no stinkin scanners, the Sheriff will keep you appraised of things you need to know about". See, stuff like this is why, although I generally think he's been a good Sheriff, there is room for improvement. I've got a teen son at home, along with a disabled sister-in-law and a non-communicative autistic. Knowing this sort of thing is going down about 3 miles away might be nice.

They're waiting till 3AM.

PeoplesElbow

Pretty sure I am. Last time they used it, this joint lit up, which leads me to believe it wasn't used this time.

The problem last time wasn't that they used it it was the job they did using it. I never got the original call but I got a call at 3am or whatever it was to tell me that they caught the suspect, I thought they were bragging or something.

glhs837

Power with Control
And I think that might be why they didn't use it this time. I think there might have been a few complaint calls after that.

rdytogo

I think they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Last time all I heard was complaints about them doing this. This time, I got a Nixle alert. It's a thankless job.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think the complaints came from two things, folks 20 miles from the incident getting the calls, and folks who never got the alert call getting the all clear. You know how important clear comms are, and how bad garbled comms can screw things up. If you can't effectively communicate then indeed no comms are best. But part of the deal with going encrypted was that it wouldn't hinder folks from knowing about dangerous things going on that they might want to know about. We were told that there would be ways to let us know. Didn't appear to work well last time, nor at all this time. You get it right, you get thanked, but it has to done right.

tom88

I think the complaints came from two things, folks 20 miles from the incident getting the calls, and folks who never got the alert call getting the all clear. You know how important clear comms are, and how bad garbled comms can screw things up. If you can't effectively communicate then indeed no comms are best. But part of the deal with going encrypted was that it wouldn't hinder folks from knowing about dangerous things going on that they might want to know about. We were told that there would be ways to let us know. Didn't appear to work well last time, nor at all this time. You get it right, you get thanked, but it has to done right.

The problem is, as I see it, the sheriff doesn't control the reverse 911. When there are mistakes made there, he gets blamed. What he does control is Nixle. I think he used what he has at his disposal as well as what he is responsible for, so that he can better manage what is his responsibility. The notice of this event went out on Nixle as well as local media. You are just as likely to have known about it as you would have if you were listening to a scanner. In my opinion, the scanner is an invasion of MY privacy if the police are called to my home, pull me over on a traffic stop, or any other enforcement action where they may say my name on the radio.

TPD

the poor dad
In my opinion, the scanner is an invasion of MY privacy if the police are called to my home, pull me over on a traffic stop, or any other enforcement action where they may say my name on the radio.

You may live in America, but your privacy does not.