Watch out for code home rule that st. Mary's county wants

3CATSAILOR

At first I thought Code Home Rule may be better than our current Commissioner style of government. But, something told me to read about it to make sure. The more I read, the more concerned I was. Most importantly would be their ability to impose new laws upon us. For example, they can make an infraction charge at any amount they want to. It doesn't seem important now. But, it would be very important if they get speed and red light cameras. With Code Home Rule, they could set the infraction fine at anything they would like.

There are other important facts about Code Home Rule. You may want to read up on it. Carefully compare Code Home Rule to the "Commissioner" style of government. The good news is they aren't trying to get a Charter government...........so far. Nonetheless, Code Home Rule does not sound like something we want or need.

glhs837

Power with Control
At first I thought Code Home Rule may be better than our current Commissioner style of government. But, something told me to read about it to make sure. The more I read, the more concerned I was. Most importantly would be their ability to impose new laws upon us. For example, they can make an infraction charge at any amount they want to. It doesn't seem important now. But, it would be very important if they get speed and red light cameras. With Code Home Rule, they could set the infraction fine at anything they would like.

There are other important facts about Code Home Rule. You may want to read up on it. Carefully compare Code Home Rule to the "Commissioner" style of government. The good news is they aren't trying to get a Charter government...........so far. Nonetheless, Code Home Rule does not sound like something we want or need.

Not to sure about that. They might be able to do tack on's for other citations, but I'm pretty sure they can't charge more for automated enforcement citations, those amounts are specifically written into the state law that authorizes them as shall not exceed.

officeguy

Chuck is code-home-rule. Out of the different forms of county government in MD, it is imho the best balance of local and state power. The SM commissioners already pass local ordinances, they just have to hand them to the legislative delegation to get them passed in Annapolis.

Once they want to con you into charter goverment, that's when you have to start worrying.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Chuck is code-home-rule. Out of the different forms of county government in MD, it is imho the best balance of local and state power. The SM commissioners already pass local ordinances, they just have to hand them to the legislative delegation to get them passed in Annapolis. Once they want to con you into charter goverment, that's when you have to start worrying.
That is correct, commissioner form of government must first ask for permission from the state before starting the process of implementing a new law. They still must hold public meetings before passing such law. It should be kept that way. It is a speed bump in the road for a commissioner form of government and ensures that the people aren't run roughshod over. Because it happens many times that the people say "no!" to an ordinance or law, but yet code home rule will say yes.

rdytogo

If I may ...That is correct, commissioner form of government must first ask for permission from the state before starting the process of implementing a new law. They still must hold public meetings before passing such law. It should be kept that way. It is a speed bump in the road for a commissioner form of government and ensures that the people aren't run roughshod over. Because it happens many times that the people say "no!" to an ordinance or law, but yet code home rule will say yes.

True, but you also have Baltimore politicians making decisions on St. Mary's County affairs. We ELECT our county commissioners and know them a heck of a lot better than the other state delegates who decide our fate.

officeguy

If I may ...That is correct, commissioner form of government must first ask for permission from the state before starting the process of implementing a new law. They still must hold public meetings before passing such law. It should be kept that way. It is a speed bump in the road for a commissioner form of government and ensures that the people aren't run roughshod over. Because it happens many times that the people say "no!" to an ordinance or law, but yet code home rule will say yes.

And none of that changes with code-home-rule. Its not like the commissioners can pass ordinances in secret, it still has to be discussed in public. The main difference is that their ordinances don't have to go to the legislature for what is essentially a summary sign-off. The strong arm of the legislature is responsible for oddities like the prohibition of car-sales on sundays in some counties and the hacked up way how liquor control is handled around the state. Often, legislators from neighboring counties (who represent their local business interests) use the legislative signoff process to settle their little scores.

Commissioners have to run for election. In a small county like SM getting a direct meeting with a commish is not that hard to arrange (there was a time I had several of them in my cell). It also doesn't take much money to defeat a commissioner who starts to do dumb stuff. I much rather have a local 'neck to strangle' than relying on the house of fools in Annapolis. The biggest problem with local elections is if you have single party rule, like in Chuck, PG or Monkey county. The commissioners seats are auctioned off by the party bosses leading to bizarre situations like the general counsel of the local RE developer getting herself elected to be commissioner president.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
And none of that changes with code-home-rule. Its not like the commissioners can pass ordinances in secret, it still has to be discussed in public. The main difference is that their ordinances don't have to go to the legislature for what is essentially a summary sign-off. The strong arm of the legislature is responsible for oddities like the prohibition of car-sales on sundays in some counties and the hacked up way how liquor control is handled around the state. Often, legislators from neighboring counties (who represent their local business interests) use the legislative signoff process to settle their little scores.Commissioners have to run for election. In a small county like SM getting a direct meeting with a commish is not that hard to arrange (there was a time I had several of them in my cell). It also doesn't take much money to defeat a commissioner who starts to do dumb stuff. I much rather have a local 'neck to strangle' than relying on the house of fools in Annapolis. The biggest problem with local elections is if you have single party rule, like in Chuck, PG or Monkey county. The commissioners seats are auctioned off by the party bosses leading to bizarre situations like the general counsel of the local RE developer getting herself elected to be commissioner president.

What I bolded is important. St. Mary's wants to do something and He Is Not To Be Named (President of the MD Senate) doesn't like it and it gets killed. It may be smart, it may be important, it may even be a model for the State. But if the wrong Legislator, in either chamber, doesn't like it and it gets killed. Every time. Every year.

That's an advantage a municipality has in MD. Unlike many of the Counties it doesn't have to have Legislative approval. The Commissioners in Calvert wanted to float some bonds for schools or roads, I don't remember, several years ago and O'Donnell killed it over something else.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Commissioners have to run for election. In a small county like SM getting a direct meeting with a commish is not that hard to arrange (there was a time I had several of them in my cell). It also doesn't take much money to defeat a commissioner who starts to do dumb stuff.

The first two sentences are the problem, and the last sentence is simply not true. We have only to look at some of the Commissioners we've been graced (ahem) with to see that many times it's just a good ol' boy popularity contest. If voters were smarter and more familiar with the candidates and their agendas, it wouldn't be such a concern. But we're not. So anything that helps put the brakes on them, count me in.

awpitt

Main Streeter
With the current system in SM, the State Senator has all the power. If he or she doesn't like the proposal (even a good one), it's dead.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
The Commissioners in Calvert wanted to float some bonds for schools or roads, I don't remember, several years ago and O'Donnell killed it over something else.
It was good that O'Donnell did that. But let's remember that that word "bond" is another word for "debt" very similar to another word, "mortgage". Calvert is over $250 Million in debt "bonds", more was not better then, and still is not now.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What I bolded is important. St. Mary's wants to do something and He Is Not To Be Named (President of the MD Senate) doesn't like it and it gets killed. It may be smart, it may be important, it may even be a model for the State. But if the wrong Legislator, in either chamber, doesn't like it and it gets killed. Every time. Every year.

That's an advantage a municipality has in MD. Unlike many of the Counties it doesn't have to have Legislative approval. The Commissioners in Calvert wanted to float some bonds for schools or roads, I don't remember, several years ago and O'Donnell killed it over something else.

Exactly, allowing the state legislature to control it basically puts the power to veto anything St. Mary's might need in the hands of the democratic party.
But we all know nobody would put politics above what was right.

officeguy

The first two sentences are the problem, and the last sentence is simply not true. We have only to look at some of the Commissioners we've been graced (ahem) with to see that many times it's just a good ol' boy popularity contest. If voters were smarter and more familiar with the candidates and their agendas, it wouldn't be such a concern. But we're not. So anything that helps put the brakes on them, count me in.

You may disagree with the decisions the commissioners are making, but in the end they do express the will of the people of St Marys. The vote of a good ole boy doesn't count any more than yours, so it seems there are just lots of good ole boys in the county.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You may disagree with the decisions the commissioners are making, but in the end they do express the will of the people of St Marys. The vote of a good ole boy doesn't count any more than yours, so it seems there are just lots of good ole boys in the county.

I don't know as they really do express the will of the people. If you did a man-on-the-street asking what our Commissioners are up to, I'll bet you most people wouldn't even be able to tell you who our Commissioners are, let alone what they've got up their sleeve.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...It was good that O'Donnell did that. But let's remember that that word "bond" is another word for "debt" very similar to another word, "mortgage". Calvert is over $250 Million in debt "bonds", more was not better then, and still is not now.

If you say so. I imagine we won't hear you bitch then if your road/street doesn't get paved, your storm water run off issue doesn't get fixed or your kid has classes in trailers.

officeguy

I don't know as they really do express the will of the people. If you did a man-on-the-street asking what our Commissioners are up to, I'll bet you most people wouldn't even be able to tell you who our Commissioners are, let alone what they've got up their sleeve.

The man on the street is an idiot.

By not electing different commissioners, the voters approve of the job the current crop is doing. If they didn't approve, they could elect different commissioners.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may...
If you say so. I imagine we won't hear you bitch then if your road/street doesn't get paved, your storm water run off issue doesn't get fixed or your kid has classes in trailers.
You make it seem as if I really give a shiat. I really don't care if my street is paved again, I care for my own property and if rain runoff were an issue I'd fix it myself, if I had kids I'd home school them. See, unlike most people, I try not to rely on government, aka neighbors, to provide for me. So, no, you won't hear me bitch.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may...You make it seem as if I really give a shiat. I really don't care if my street is paved again, I care for my own property and if rain runoff were an issue I'd fix it myself, if I had kids I'd home school them. See, unlike most people, I try not to rely on government, aka neighbors, to provide for me. So, no, you won't hear me bitch.

Right. Whatever.

Rethink home schooling. Please. For your future kids' sakes.

3CATSAILOR

I thought the same thing at first. And then I carefully read how the law is written. After reading it, it does appear that the "State" would be "granting" a County Government "the legal right" to "create" the dollar amount for any infraction they would like. I bet any attorney friend would tell you the same thing. Now it is very important to realize this is for an "infraction" only. You are correct that for any other offense that is NOT an infraction, it is set by the State.

3CATSAILOR

Sure, it has to have a public meeting. But lets be realistic; what difference do you really believe a rubber stamped meeting will have? They will listen to you and everyone else because they have to. Thereafter, they pass it.