Friendly warning about SMO service (non oil)

Restitution

Recently started experiencing problems with my outdoor unit (short cycling) so I decided to get a recomendation from a friend in the HVAC business. I had the techician show up and he spent over 5 hours at my house. Here is what he found.

The thermostat was improperly programed and installed
The air handler unit was not set up properly for the ouside heat pump AND it was not wired correctly to the outside heat pump.
The outside heat pump was not set up properly ANd it was not installed correctly. They installed it backwards and to get to the controls, it will need to be totally removed from the house because it was installed so close to the wall.

Now, I have had SMO to my home 9 times in 4 years and this was never caught. The new technician told me that a simple verification of the system setup would have caught all of this.

I decided to write a nice little letter to SMO corporate to which I received a phone call from their service manager (Randy I believe) to which I was, in sumary, told to piss off and they were not responsible for it. I was told that I should have called them about the problem to which I replied "I called you 9 times in the last 4 years and you never caught it. Why would I expect you to do the job properly now?"

Needless to say, I have severed my ties to SMO an would not recomend their HVAC services to anyone.

Just some free advice!

SugarBear47

Always been that way!! Have not used SMO for maintenance in over 10 yrs. even though they installed heating and a/c units. I have a great contract with Leitch for service.

steppinthrax

Recently started experiencing problems with my outdoor unit (short cycling) so I decided to get a recomendation from a friend in the HVAC business. I had the techician show up and he spent over 5 hours at my house. Here is what he found.

The thermostat was improperly programed and installed
The air handler unit was not set up properly for the ouside heat pump AND it was not wired correctly to the outside heat pump.
The outside heat pump was not set up properly ANd it was not installed correctly. They installed it backwards and to get to the controls, it will need to be totally removed from the house because it was installed so close to the wall.

Now, I have had SMO to my home 9 times in 4 years and this was never caught. The new technician told me that a simple verification of the system setup would have caught all of this.

I decided to write a nice little letter to SMO corporate to which I received a phone call from their service manager (Randy I believe) to which I was, in sumary, told to piss off and they were not responsible for it. I was told that I should have called them about the problem to which I replied "I called you 9 times in the last 4 years and you never caught it. Why would I expect you to do the job properly now?"

Needless to say, I have severed my ties to SMO an would not recomend their HVAC services to anyone.

Just some free advice!

At that point I would document everything that the new tech done and file a small claims case with the courts. It should be pretty easy. Serve the Resident Agent for the old company. Should be a slam dunk easy peasy court case. I'm in court all the time so I can even help you fill out the forms.

I would go after the cost of the original install since it was not done to code. I would then ask for the cost of having it re-done properly.

Once they get served you will see them change their tune real quick. You will see them call you can want to "work something out". It always happens. No one wants to sit in the court and deal with me. Esp businesses.

black dog

Free America
At that point I would document everything that the new tech done and file a small claims case with the courts. It should be pretty easy. Serve the Resident Agent for the old company. Should be a slam dunk easy peasy court case. I'm in court all the time so I can even help you fill out the forms.

I would go after the cost of the original install since it was not done to code. I would then ask for the cost of having it re-done properly.

Once they get served you will see them change their tune real quick. You will see them call you can want to "work something out". It always happens. No one wants to sit in the court and deal with me. Esp businesses.

Ahhhhhhhh.. True Colors. Where does it say SMO installed the hvac system ? This is only half of the story here..
I'm shocked you haven't sued the young lady on the bus for infringement of your clean air.
The settlement should be, she gets to punch you in the nuts, twice.

Last edited:

nutz

Ahhhhhhhh.. True Colors. Where does it say SMO installed the hvac system ? This is only half of the story here..
I'm shocked you haven't sued the young lady on the bus for infringement of your clean air.

:lmao:

steppinthrax

They certified the system during that time! If they didn't install it, doesn't matter. Point is a system being installed too close to a house to where it's inaccessible is HVAC 101. I've installed HVAC unit so I know what's involved. That's a rookie mistake. The point is the previous company looked at his system said everything was a-ok and these issues were low hanging fruit.

If they did install the system, even worse for them.

Just to give you some info. Last week I was supposed to be in court because my last tenant at my rental trashed my place and didn't pay. Guess what I sued her. She called me back the week before court to work something out. Paid me in full and I dismissed the case....

black dog

Free America
Now, if only your social graces in public could keep up with your extensive knowledge of HVAC with the vast experience of replacing a single indoor and outdoor unit.
I bet you even own a vacuum pump and a set of gauges from Harbor Freight.

steppinthrax

Now, if only your social graces in public could keep up with your extensive knowledge of HVAC with the vast experience of replacing a single indoor and outdoor unit.
I bet you even own a vacuum pump and a set of gauges from Harbor Freight.

Robinair Dude.

JB vacuum pump.

EPA Universal Certified.

Yep, went all the way...

PeoplesElbow

They certified the system during that time! If they didn't install it, doesn't matter. Point is a system being installed too close to a house to where it's inaccessible is HVAC 101. I've installed HVAC unit so I know what's involved.

Shouldn't you have known it was too close then?

Restitution

The cost of the new tech to "fix" the system was actually not bad at all. He gave me a good deal as he was doing the work on the recommendation from a common friend. Small Claims court would just be a headache and really not worth it.

Filing this under "Got screwed but, will never do business with SMO again AND will tell the info to anyone who asks about it or might need to know."

black dog

Free America
Robinair Dude.

JB vacuum pump.

EPA Universal Certified.

Yep, went all the way...

You should have pulled out your EPA Universal Certified card from its special leather holder and showed it to her on the bus. Maybe she would have been impressed. I dought it..

she's waiting for her chance to punch you in the nuts..

steppinthrax

The cost of the new tech to "fix" the system was actually not bad at all. He gave me a good deal as he was doing the work on the recommendation from a common friend. Small Claims court would just be a headache and really not worth it.

Filing this under "Got screwed but, will never do business with SMO again AND will tell the info to anyone who asks about it or might need to know."

Well if it's under 500 then I would leave it. Somehow I was thinking they installed the original system. It's good you got a deal for them to physically move the system. He's going to have to pump the system down, cut those lines, more copper, vacuum etc etc....

Just put a ####ty review on YELP. with pictures.....

steppinthrax

You should have pulled out your EPA Universal Certified card from its special leather holder and showed it to her on the bus. Maybe she would have been impressed. I dought it..

she's waiting for her chance to punch you in the nuts..

Judging by her overall upkeep she's likely the type to not even know what the EPA is nor would she find the value in that. She would only know the following.

Starbucks
Forever 21
Kim Kardashian
$10.00 muffins

etc etc

Restitution

Well if it's under 500 then I would leave it. Somehow I was thinking they installed the original system. It's good you got a deal for them to physically move the system. He's going to have to pump the system down, cut those lines, more copper, vacuum etc etc....

Just put a ####ty review on YELP. with pictures.....

Well... the cost was just slightly above 500. Also, they did NOT move the outdoor unit. They did however, fix the problem with the thermostat, the internal unit settings to match the outdoor unit, the wiring, and charged/repaired the outdoor unit.

For 5+ hours of work, 2 guys, and doing a complete check of the system with repairs... I would say I got a deal.

Restitution

I did, but if you know so much about HVAC installation shouldn't you have realized it and mentioned it at least in one of the 9 times you called them?

Actually, it was ME who had them to the house 9 times. Not steppinthrax.

And NO... I shouldn't have realized it was too close as HVAC is not my realm of expertise AND it should have been the so-called professionals that should have caught it/fixed it.

Classic blame the victim. Why is that so prevalent around here?