Plane flying low and slow/Calvert 9/16/15

calvcopf

Anyone know what kind of plane this is and why it keeps circling Prince Frederick? It seems to be flying very low and slow.

Attachments

• 20150916_155341-1.jpg
    20150916_155341-1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 796

MMDad

Lem Putt
Anyone know what kind of plane this is and why it keeps circling Prince Frederick? It seems to be flying very low and slow.

It's a big plane, which can play tricks on your perception. Your brain thinks it's smaller than it really is, so you perceive the altitude and speed as low and slow. It's likely higher than you think, and moving faster than it seems.

If you've ever seen a C-5 on approach they look like they are hovering.

Tech

:roflmao:

Looks more like a KC-10.

Probably in a holding pattern heading to Andrews, unless they are doing PAR approaches to PAX.

Does look like a fueling probe, didn't they say something about a noise advisory for Pax this week

officeguy

I saw it circling at least 5 times yesterday and was wondering what was going on too.

There is a navigational fix called ARUYE that is near Prince Frederick. The tanker was possibly in a holding pattern defined by that fix. The KC10 is based on the DC10, it is a fairly large plane (same wingspan as a 767) and even if it is at 3000 or 5000ft it looks like it is circling right over your head.

BernieP

Resident PIA
:roflmao:

Looks more like a KC-10.

Probably in a holding pattern heading to Andrews, unless they are doing PAR approaches to PAX.
I was going to say, I can see the fuel boom and the third engine on the tail.

I am trying to recall if Omega Air flies KC-10's or just the KC-135. Any number of reasons it could be loitering, but at that altitude most likely in a holding pattern for JB Andrews.