Splitting a whole cow? Anyone done this?

Hannibal

Found an old thread but nothing within the last few years so I thought I'd ask.

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of going in on a whole cow with another family or two. The reading we've done all indicates that it makes sense financially if you can absorb the upfront expense and have room to store the meat. We also like the idea of local grown and knowing where your food comes from (and how it was raised).

Unfortunately, there isn't much concrete information available about options/pricing, etc. You can find farms that do it and even a few websites, but nothing gives any indication of cost. Many provide phone numbers but I am not at the point where I want to bother farmers by asking a million questions.

Thought it best to post a question in the hopes that some of you have given it a go. Looking for some feedback on your experience.

Couple questions:

1. Obviously price.
2. Quality of meat/cuts.
3. Turn around time from your phone call to meat in your freezer.
4. How much did you end up taking and for what size family? How long did it last you?

Thanks in advance.

GregV814

I dont know why you want to spit on a cow. She wont even feel it. Do you feel the need to spit on a cow?

OH!! SPLIT.......... nevermind ........

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think Gilligan gets a 1/2 cow every yr

Nope. A whole one. Locally raised Black Angus...typically dressing out somewhere around 900 pounds. At $3.75/lb, that's $3375. Don't know if we'll be paying $3.75 or more this year, but either way the economics are obvious when you see steaks at $10/lb and more.

Cut to order. You fill out a detailed cut sheet defining which cuts you want, how thick the steaks, etc. You don't call and actually "order" one...you call to get on the list and they call you when the year's herd is ready to butcher. From receiving that phone call, it's roughly a month before they beef is delivered to your door, vacuum packed and frozen. It is hung 10 days to age.

As for the quality?...you simply can't touch it with most grocery store beef.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Nope. A whole one. Locally raised Black Angus...typically dressing out somewhere around 900 pounds. At $3.75/lb, that's $3375. Don't know if we'll be paying $3.75 or more this year, but either way the economics are obvious when you see steaks at $10/lb and more.

Cut to order. You fill out a detailed cut sheet defining which cuts you want, how thick the steaks, etc. You don't call and actually "order" one...you call to get on the list and they call you when the year's herd is ready to butcher. From receiving that phone call, it's roughly a month before they beef is delivered to your door, vacuum packed and frozen. It is hung 10 days to age.

As for the quality?...you simply can't touch it with most grocery store beef.

We used to go to Earl.. We'd either split one with another family, or buy a half of one. He even delivered to the house.

nutz

A 1200 lb. steer, ½ inch fat, average muscling, yields a 750 pound carcass. The 750 pound carcass yields approximately:
•490 pounds boneless trimmed beef
•150 pounds fat trim
•110 pounds bone
- See more at: http://igrow.org/livestock/beef/how-much-meat-can-you-expect-from-a-fed-steer/#sthash.ySmg2W1w.dpuf

Quality of meat depends largely on how it's raised. Penned and grained or free range and grass make a huge difference in taste. Price is going to vary depending on how it was fed and whether or not slaughtering and butchering is included. I went to an auction last week, grain fed was averaging $2.50 on the hoof. 1330 lb. steer x $2.5= $3325.00 plus 0.65 to cut and wrap (800ish x 0.65) plus 100 to slaughter = ~$3945

How much you consume is a big variable. If you mix in chicken, pork and pizza (etc.) a quarter should be ok for an average family of 4. If you say, Damn, I've got a freezer full of beef and have a party or two it may only last a month.

Ask at your local butcher shop (not Safeway or Food Lion)..they can give you pricing on quarters, halves and wholes

Last edited:
R

rhenderson

I would suggest that you find a source from a trusted referrer that has used that source recently. Each source is its own operation. Once you buy it - you're stuck with it.

A reliable supplier will talk you through ALL the cuts that come from the beef. T-bone, strip and rib-eyes come to mind quickly as well as round roast, rump roast, etc. However, you also have to consider hamburger (% fat) soup bone, liver, heart and tongue. Your price per pound includes all of that. What you will actually use is a personal choice issue. We used to get a half beef, splitting a whole beef with my sister's family. Some of the products we never used and simply left with my sister's family. Even then they gave away some of that and used other parts to supplement their pet food.

You may find that buying in bulk from a commercial source - such as Nick's -- especially when they are having the "whole/half" sales will save you more than buying a whole/half beef. It does not take a whole lot of unused cuts to drive the price/lb of what you do use higher than simply buying at Safeway/Nicks/McKays, etc.

TPD

the poor dad
Go to the 4H auction at the St. Mary's County Fair this weekend. Bid on the cow of your choice - you will get to touch it ahead of time and talk to the kid that raised it - even get the name of the cow. It's for a great cause. If you are the successful bidder, they will give you options on where to have it sent for slaughter and processing/packaging. You won't touch or see the cow again until you get the call in 2-4 weeks to come pick up your packaged ribeyes! It will be the best beef you ever eat - GUARANTEED!

FWIW - current ag market prices - http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agricultural/

TPD

the poor dad
This thread reminded me of some pics I had -

From our cow raising/killing days - circa 1991
CowKilling.jpg

This cow - circa 2006 - was one of many we purchased during our grocery store years in support of 4H.
Cow4H.jpg

CRHS89

I would not want to touch the cow or especially not know its name before eating it. I know people raised on farms do this but I would not be able to enjoy it.