Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Black Panther Comic for Marvel

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"Ta-Nehisi Coates can be identified in many ways: as a national correspondent for The Atlantic, as an author and, as of this month, as a nominee for the National Book Award’s nonfiction prize.

But Mr. Coates also has a not-so-secret identity, as evidenced by some of his Atlantic blog posts and his Twitter feed: Marvel Comics superfan.

So it seems only natural that Marvel has asked Mr. Coates to take on a new Black Panther series set to begin next spring. Writing for that comics publisher is a childhood dream that, despite the seeming incongruity, came about thanks to his day job. “The Atlantic is a pretty diverse place in terms of interest, but there are no comics nerds,” besides himself, Mr. Coates said in an interview.

His passions intersected in May, during the magazine’s New York Ideas seminar, when he interviewed Sana Amanat, a Marvel editor, about diversity and inclusion in comic books. Ms. Amanat led the creation of the new Ms. Marvel, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City, based on some of her own childhood experiences. “It was a fruitful discussion,” he recalled.

After that event, Marvel reached out, paired Mr. Coates with an editor, and discussions about the comic began. The renewed focus on Black Panther is no surprise. Created in 1966, he is the first black superhero and hails from Wakanda, a fictional African country.

“He has the baddest costume in comics and is a dude who is smarter and better than everyone,” said Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel. The character not only adds to the diversity of Marvel’s comics; he will do it for their films too: Black Panther is set to make his big-screen debut next year in “Captain America: Civil War,” followed by a solo feature in 2018.".....

littlelady

God bless the USA
Since when are Black Panthers considered super heroes? Last time I checked, they were thugs. Oh, I forgot about that PC thing. Never mind. :rolleyes:

I like that you are bringing back old threads. Perspective is everything. The libprogs didn't predict Trump in 2016. They were just goin' on with their goin' on and thought they had it the bag. Thank you, Hillary. Talk about an old bag.

And, then there are these black panthers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Black Panther ... that's Racist

It is not racist if they are talking about themselves. The hypocrisy and irony of it all is so out there that it is hard to comprehend; as in wrapping one's brain around it. It has become stupidity, and we just found out that America is not stupid; as a whole. That is why Hillary and Barry, etal are so jameo. :jameo: It didn't work for now, but they will keep on tryin' and we will keep on fightin'.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Link

"Ta-Nehisi Coates can be identified in many ways: as a national correspondent for The Atlantic, as an author and, as of this month, as a nominee for the National Book Award’s nonfiction prize.

But Mr. Coates also has a not-so-secret identity, as evidenced by some of his Atlantic blog posts and his Twitter feed: Marvel Comics superfan.

So it seems only natural that Marvel has asked Mr. Coates to take on a new Black Panther series set to begin next spring. Writing for that comics publisher is a childhood dream that, despite the seeming incongruity, came about thanks to his day job. “The Atlantic is a pretty diverse place in terms of interest, but there are no comics nerds,” besides himself, Mr. Coates said in an interview.

His passions intersected in May, during the magazine’s New York Ideas seminar, when he interviewed Sana Amanat, a Marvel editor, about diversity and inclusion in comic books. Ms. Amanat led the creation of the new Ms. Marvel, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City, based on some of her own childhood experiences. “It was a fruitful discussion,” he recalled.

After that event, Marvel reached out, paired Mr. Coates with an editor, and discussions about the comic began. The renewed focus on Black Panther is no surprise. Created in 1966, he is the first black superhero and hails from Wakanda, a fictional African country.

“He has the baddest costume in comics and is a dude who is smarter and better than everyone,” said Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel. The character not only adds to the diversity of Marvel’s comics; he will do it for their films too: Black Panther is set to make his big-screen debut next year in “Captain America: Civil War,” followed by a solo feature in 2018.".....

I missed this thread back when, but have to say it is prob the dumbest one you ever posted. Where are you, lately, nh? Did you give up? Did Soros abandon you? Did you realize that you were part of a cult, or what? Or did you, finally, decide to become a patriot?

warneckutz

Since when are Black Panthers considered super heroes? Last time I checked, they were thugs. Oh, I forgot about that PC thing. Never mind. :rolleyes:

I like that you are bringing back old threads. Perspective is everything. The libprogs didn't predict Trump in 2016. They were just goin' on with their goin' on and thought they had it the bag. Thank you, Hillary. Talk about an old bag.

And, then there are these black panthers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

It is not racist if they are talking about themselves. The hypocrisy and irony of it all is so out there that it is hard to comprehend; as in wrapping one's brain around it. It has become stupidity, and we just found out that America is not stupid; as a whole. That is why Hillary and Barry, etal are so jameo. :jameo: It didn't work for now, but they will keep on tryin' and we will keep on fightin'.

I missed this thread back when, but have to say it is prob the dumbest one you ever posted. Where are you, lately, nh? Did you give up? Did Soros abandon you? Did you realize that you were part of a cult, or what? Or did you, finally, decide to become a patriot?

Wow... If they put a picture of the Black Panther superhero at the bottom of the glass then you'd understand who "Black Panther" is... You'd be seeing three of him but you might get the idea.

The fact you're calling someone else "dumb" and you have proven you have no clue WTF you're talking about here.

Clem72

I think there is a difference between an original black super hero that has their own fan base and appeals to a different audience than what Marvel is doing recently with changing established characters in order to inject diversity.

And why only change the iconic white males? Can't the Hulk be asian lady, or Wonder Woman be a black man?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And why only change the iconic white males? Can't the Hulk be asian lady, or Wonder Woman be a black man?

Just make them all androgynous aliens so nobody gets offended. But then there are probably people that are allergic to green comic book ink, so they will have to be accommodated.

warneckutz

There's Marvel Comics - which they're constantly throwing curve balls

Then there's the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) - Bringing the comics to life that most are familiar with...

They're trying to appeal to a wider spectrum of folks.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow... If they put a picture of the Black Panther superhero at the bottom of the glass then you'd understand who "Black Panther" is... You'd be seeing three of him but you might get the idea.

The fact you're calling someone else "dumb" and you have proven you have no clue WTF you're talking about here.

That is your opinion, and I have mine. I think you have an image problem; thus your avatar. I have long babysitting days and posting late at night is what I do when it is quiet. Your constant crap that I have a drinking problem is getting old. You have a boiled chicken problem, and, obviously, an image problem. Not to mention that you are jerk on this forum. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. :smile:

One more thing. I will sleep when I am dead. Life is way too much fun, and I don't want to miss a thing.

Last edited: