Thoughts about the new theater

SamSpade

Finally got to see a movie there this past week. While I have waited for so damned long for there to be an alternative to the dump that exists down in Lexington Park - they really need to do a few things.

One is - they need to put up some kind of damned signs or a marquee. For Pete's sake, the only way I know what movies are playing is, I look it up online. Seriously, you can't tell what's playing EVEN if you drive your car down there and drive past the ticket booth. In addition, they need better advertising for the theater on 235. Yeah, there's a movie theater back there. Could you be a bit more specific? Times and showings would help. Even a scrolling display like in front of Wildewood would be ok.

Two - it's too damned cold. It's hot outside - freezing indoors.

Three - the whole feel of the place seems - cheaply done. SPACIOUS, at least in the halls and lobby.

Four - they need to label the screens with what movies are playing. All you get is a number - and you look at your ticket to see the number. Almost every theater I've been to in my life, they have signs inside telling you what is showing behind what door - and sometimes, times.

Five - my wife was a little ticked that the restrooms were a little underfurnished with commodes - and one was already out of order after a month on the job.

Lastly - if you're going to go with stadium seating - go a little further with reclining seats. They're better than Lexington Park - but worse than Waldorf or Brandywine.

-----------------------------

That said - it's a nice place. Very clean. There is a LOT of parking. I've never seen it full, so I can't speak for how it goes when there's a crowd. We plan to go again this weekend. Even with my aforementioned complaints, it's a lot better than the one in the Park.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Thank you for the review. I have not been yet. It does seem odd there's no marquee with what's playing.

Restitution

Four - they need to label the screens with what movies are playing. All you get is a number - and you look at your ticket to see the number. Almost every theater I've been to in my life, they have signs inside telling you what is showing behind what door - and sometimes, times.

Great review Sam!

As for the above, I have heard that some theaters employ this 'lack of signage' to discourage people from sneaking into other theaters to see movies that they did not pay for.

sparkyaclown

Totally with you on the seating. I don't get the rockers they put in, they aren't any more comfortable than a fixed seat is and it's not like they can lock into a certain position. I could also see where they could become annoying. At one point I realized I was rocking the kid that was sitting in the seat in front of me. They aren't any narrower than the recliners and while they may argue that it allows them to fit more rows in, I'm not sure that is even valid given how easy it was to rock the seat in the next row.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Finally got to see a movie there this past week. While I have waited for so damned long for there to be an alternative to the dump that exists down in Lexington Park - they really need to do a few things.

One is - go online to their website (mobile friendly and Fandango), click , click, order ticket

Two - the system is set low with the expectation that N bodies will raise the temperature, if they didn't do that you would be bitching it was warm and stuffy. Bring a sweater or light jacket.

Three - open, big bright signs for restrooms and concession. Not sure what you saw a "cheap"

Four - for some reason I knew which theater the movie we were seeing was in, it's not so hard.

Five - my wife was a little ticked that the restrooms were a little underfurnished with commodes - and one was already out of order after a month on the job.

Lastly - if you want a recliner, I recommend NETFLIX.

-----------------------------

That said - it's a nice place. Very clean. There is a LOT of parking. I've never seen it full, so I can't speak for how it goes when there's a crowd. We plan to go again this weekend. Even with my aforementioned complaints, it's a lot better than the one in the Park.

You can drive to Waldorf or go to the park. Your choice.

dan0623_2000

Signage is restricted by county zoning ordance.
I really like Sam's review. I sure hope those features go into his theater when he builds it.

SamSpade

Signage is restricted by county zoning ordance.

They also don't have any on the actual theater itself - something I've never seen on a movie theater in my life.

I've been hoping for a new theater for years, ever since the deal where the last one fell through that was supposed to be up where BJ's is.
And every time someone would try to get one started, the response was always "this county can't support TWO theaters". No kidding - let's get a new better one.

Make no mistake - this theater is almost walking distance to my house - I'm going to go there. But I want it to succeed. I don't want to see an empty building in a few years.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
See? Ask Bird dog, this is what happens when all this progress comes to the county. Damn new theater with no signs and a clean facility and air conditioning. Should have been happy with that theater in LP, it has been good enough for good ol rural SMC for decades. Damn progress and people coming here wanting all this new fangled stuff.:sarcasm:

CrashTest

They could probably make all those improvements if they raised the price of a Coke from $8 to $9.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They could probably make all those improvements if they raised the price of a Coke from $8 to $9.

If they put the Lazy boy recliners in you would have people complaining about the snoring.

Some people you just can't please.
(generally we call them woman)

ltown81

The theater is fine. The sign is gonna be an ordinance thing or simply there is not room for a huge sign. I look online anyway...and think most people do. They said the recliners would have reduced seats and added cost. I think there is nothing wrong with the rockers personally. While you can nitpick..this is really the best case scenario for an area this size. If you want Movieco, deal with Arundel Mills.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I saw 'Straight Outta Compton' there a few weeks ago. I used two different bathrooms (once when I got there, another before I left). One stall was out of order, one bathroom had no paper towels and soap.

Seems to be a trend with the new place.

stew77

I do not like the prices for the concessions! really $4.00 for a bottle of water?? Terrible! and of course the rant about popcorn prices!!! I agree with all the rest of the "suggestions"!!

BernieP

Resident PIA
I do not like the prices for the concessions! really $4.00 for a bottle of water?? Terrible! and of course the rant about popcorn prices!!! I agree with all the rest of the "suggestions"!!

You do realize that concessions are how theaters actually make money. Are prices high? Yes, but pretty much on par with other theaters.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't like the recliner seats, anyway! I am a fall "asleeper" when I lay down on the couch to watch TV - I'd fall asleep at the movies if I sat in the recliner seats.

Holk_Hogan

I saw 'Straight Outta Compton' there a few weeks ago. I used two different bathrooms (once when I got there, another before I left). One stall was out of order, one bathroom had no paper towels and soap.

Seems to be a trend with the new place.

Thats not the theaters fault. You must have got their just after I blew up the toilet. I have yet to meet a toilet I can't clog with one of my power dumps.

Holk_Hogan

If you don't like the concession prices just bring in your own food and drink. Thats what I do.