Kids and Therapy

Christy

b*tch rocket
So what is it with this generation of kids? So many are, or want to be in "therapy". It's like a badge of honor or something. It is absolutely maddening dealing with a kid like this. :banghead: I think I need a therapist of my own to deal. :jet:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Paging Dr Kwillia

:lol:

I just can't grasp the concept. When I was a teenager, the last person I wanted to talk to about anything was an adult. I have a theory with regard to some of today's youth, and it isn't a nice one. The internet and instant gratification has ruined them. Self esteem comes from a constant inundation of validation from complete strangers.

dan0623_2000

In my humble opinion it is because so many parents today do not want to be parents. They want to be friends with their kids. Rather than disapline their child, they will sent them off to a complete stranger who they think is going to make their child turn into a worthwhile member of society.

R

rhenderson

:lol:

.... The internet and instant gratification has ruined them....

In my lifetime I have heard that "this generation" has been ruined by: Comic books, Television, Rock and Roll, etc, etc, etc, The fact is this generation has not been ruined by anything - They are just different from the previous generations. They will do just fine as have all the generations before them. However, many of them will believe that future generations are being ruined by whatever new technologies, social customs, etc evolve in the decades to come.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I know of an acquaintance who divorced her husband and sent her two kids (9 and 11) to a therapist. good lord, if they can't handle a fairly amicable divorce, might as well lock them away now, life is going to be too hard. Im not against therapy for real issues, but sending kids to therapy over difficulties in life teaches them that they CANNOT navigate on their own.

R

rhenderson

The best approach to therapy is the same as for other medical treatments - preventive is more effective than curative. For children undergoing major family/social issues they do not understand therapy should be teaching them methods of coping with their fears and stresses. The earlier people learn how to cope with hardship the better they will fare in life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Given that so many "therapists" are nutters themselves, you have to really vet them well. Especially for a kid. But counseling can be a huge help in learning to deal with things and finding a different way to manage your situations.

acommondisaster

Maybe parents are too busy for the kids. Kids need to feel like someone cares for them. Sending them to therapy makes a parent feel like they're doing the right thing, but they don't have to be bothered.

Roman

Most parents do care for their children. A Select few could care less. If they are too busy for their kids, it could be because of a single-parent home, and that they have to do the work of two to make ends meet. But even then, they take the time out when they need too.
Maybe parents are too busy for the kids. Kids need to feel like someone cares for them. Sending them to therapy makes a parent feel like they're doing the right thing, but they don't have to be bothered.

Christy

b*tch rocket
All interesting theories, and what I've gathered is that there are many different scenarios.

In my direct personal experience, it is basically just the hip and cool thing to do for some groups of kids.

Christy

b*tch rocket
The fact is this generation has not been ruined by anything - They are just different from the previous generations. They will do just fine as have all the generations before them.

You are probably right. It will be an interesting world to witness when they are running it.

In my lifetime I have heard that "this generation" has been ruined by: Comic books, Television, Rock and Roll, etc, etc, etc, The fact is this generation has not been ruined by anything - They are just different from the previous generations. They will do just fine as have all the generations before them. However, many of them will believe that future generations are being ruined by whatever new technologies, social customs, etc evolve in the decades to come.

:high5: "Every next generation is the worst." -the previous generation

They will do fine.

Last edited: