Genesis 16 Meet Hagar

seekeroftruth

Genesis 16:16 Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”

Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the Lord judge between you and me.”

6 “Your slave is in your hands,” Abram said. “Do with her whatever you think best.” Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.​

Before we get all upset with Hagar.... as well we should... let's look at her situation.

Before they traveled to Canaan, God promised Abram that he would have children. So they went to Canaan because God told them to. Then things got bad. There was a famine. So they went to Egypt. That's where Abram told Sarai to tell the Egyptians that she was his sister. He was afraid that the Egyptians would kill him in order to have her for themselves if they knew she was his wife.

The Bible tells us, after all, that Sarai really was Abram's sister, sort of.... so the it was only a half lie because she was only a half sister....

Genesis 20: 11 Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’ 12 Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife. 13 And when God had me wander from my father’s household, I said to her, ‘This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”​

Well that got them thrown out of Egypt but not before they acquired slaves....

Genesis 12:16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.​

Sarai and Abram when back to Canaan, where God wanted them in the first place. Now remember, God had promised Abram that there would be heirs.

Then Lot was taken captive and Abram had to take 318 men out in the dark of night to get Lot back. Abram was afraid that the kings would come back to retaliate.

They had waited a long time for God to fulfill the promise of children. They waited 10 years. There were no fertility clinics back then. Things were really looking bleak for Abram and Sarai. So Sarai came up with a plan.

After all.... God helps those who help themselves.... right?

So they would use Hagar as a surrogate. Then Sarai couldn't handle the situation. There weren't a lot of family counselors back then either. Abram let Sarai run Hagar off.

These two are a real piece of work!

:coffee:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hey, hc! I love your ending about 'piece of work'. Such is life. I get like this sometimes where I can't sleep! Thanks for your consistent effort to spread the Gospel. So much more of that is needed in America; so many have left the fold. I love you, and hope you have an excellent weekend. :huggy:

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

Hey, hc! I love your ending about 'piece of work'. Such is life. I get like this sometimes where I can't sleep! Thanks for your consistent effort to spread the Gospel. So much more of that is needed in America; so many have left the fold. I love you, and hope you have an excellent weekend. :huggy:

I hope you have an excellent weekend too! I'm off to get new tires on my car this morning! I just had the whole exhaust system replaced... and now new tires!

littlelady

God bless the USA
I hope you have an excellent weekend too! I'm off to get new tires on my car this morning! I just had the whole exhaust system replaced... and now new tires!

It is always something. Trust me, I know. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. Cars are a pain in the butt, but we need them. I hope it wasn't too costly for you. You have overcome more than that, and that is awesome! :smile:

To stay on topic. I believe your faith has everything to do with your situation today. You are truly an inspiration to us all!

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

It is always something. Trust me, I know. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. Cars are a pain in the butt, but we need them. I hope it wasn't too costly for you. You have overcome more than that, and that is awesome! :smile:

To stay on topic. I believe your faith has everything to do with your situation today. You are truly an inspiration to us all!

It's hard to stay humble with friends like you .... :lol:

I think Abram and Sarai are a great example of God working things out in spite of humans interference. They were such unlikely people for God to choose. Just think... Jesus came from that messed up family....

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's hard to stay humble with friends like you .... :lol:

I think Abram and Sarai are a great example of God working things out in spite of humans interference. They were such unlikely people for God to choose. Just think... Jesus came from that messed up family....

:lol: :huggy:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I love reading the clever words on church signs in my travels. The one I saw today:

J...Jesus
O..Others
Y..Yourself

I thought of you, hc! :smile: