Happy World Vegetarian Day!

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.ibtimes.com/world-vegeta...tips-making-most-meatless-celebration-2121459

The observation, set to be celebrated Thursday, Oct. 1, is meant to “promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism.” It also kicks off Vegetarian Awareness Month, a website promoting the day said.

The day was established in 1977 by the North American Vegetarian Society and was backed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978 as a time set aside to raise awareness of the positive effects of a vegetarian lifestyle on “humans, other animals and our shared earth.”

Consider going meat-free for the entire month. Don’t just skip out on eating beef and pork, but also try and give up fish and fowl, as well.

Host a vegetarian meal or potluck. Invite friends and family to dispel myths about vegetarian dishes as being boring.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I made sauce last weekend and we bought a squash. I’m thinking about making lasagna using the squash instead of noodles, that or the old standby of olive oil browned veggie crumbles over organic pasta with sauce.

:yum:

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I've never understood the point of being a vegetarian trying to make food that tastes like meat.

Basic summary, I'm allergic to the proteins in meat, which means I get violently ill when I attempt to eat a steak. So finding alternative means of protein and getting the mouth feel of "meat" is important to a more fulfilling meal.

Misfit has other health related reasons as well as to why he's a vegetarian.

I personally have found since I've been force through health reasons to eat a plant based diet that I receive more snide insults and even out right attacks and rude comments because I'm a "vegetarian" than I ever received from a vegetarian when I ate a burger in front of them. So sorry my food choices offend you. :rolleyes:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Basic summary, I'm allergic to the proteins in meat, which means I get violently ill when I attempt to eat a steak. So finding alternative means of protein and getting the mouth feel of "meat" is important to a more fulfilling meal.

I personally have found since I've been force through health reasons to eat a plant based diet that I receive more snide insults and even out right attacks and rude comments because I'm a "vegetarian" than I ever received from a vegetarian when I ate a burger in front of them. So sorry my food choices offend you. :rolleyes:

We shall unite and smite them all!

Or maybe just get together and make a tasty veggie based soup. :cheesy:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
We shall unite and smite them all!

Or maybe just get together and make a tasty veggie based soup. :cheesy:

I made a creamed pumpkin and sweet potato soup this weekend with a honey yogurt topping. It was yummy, but I think it needed more crunchy stuff.

But my new favorite to roast is a mix of kale, potatoes and sweet peppers. I think that would make a good soup too.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I made a creamed pumpkin and sweet potato soup this weekend with a honey yogurt topping. It was yummy, but I think it needed more crunchy stuff.

But my new favorite to roast is a mix of kale, potatoes and sweet peppers. I think that would make a good soup too.

Will you marry me? :flowers:

acommondisaster

Thank you for explaining something I didn't know about. I didn't think it was rude to say I didn't understand, nor did I say I thought being a vegetarian was offensive. My father, though not a true vegetarian ate very little meat - because he didn't care for it. Which may explain why I didn't equate wanting non-meat to taste like meat.