Broken Windows

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Broken Windows: The Ugly Side of Microsoft’s OS

The problem with this is that Microsoft says it shares that data “with Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our services; and to protect the rights or property of Microsoft.”

So, if you let Cortana see your emails, an FBI subpoena can get them, too. Sounds great. My favorite part is that if Microsoft has to protect its property and rights, it will happily share your data. Tell me more, oh electronic scroll of impending doom.

I opened up the Windows heading to look at what the OS itself had in store. Sure, Bing and Outlook.com collect your stuff, but I wanted to know what the OS itself did. What I found in the device-encryption paragraph under the Security and Safety Features subheader made the previous statement about information-sharing chilling:

Device encryption helps protect the data stored on your device by encrypting it using BitLocker Drive Encryption technology. When device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for your device is automatically backed up online in your Microsoft OneDrive account.