Shocking the well

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Started this morning.
Total hell in this weather.
Poured 2 gal. of bleach and started flushing from the outside spouts to get it into the house plumbing.
Smelt the bleach and went inside to open up the house faucets.
The amount of $hit coming through those pipes is unbelievable.
Clogged up all the filters on the faucets and hot water heater.

It has not been a very fun day today.

The well sure as hell was shocked.

Bonehead

Just did this recently. You need a test kit for chlorine. Sense of smell is worthless to ensure you are chlorine free. You did let it sit for 24 hours in your piping system right ?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Just did this recently. You need a test kit for chlorine. Sense of smell is worthless to ensure you are chlorine free. You did let it sit for 24 hours in your piping system right ?

Water is now at rest until 1100 Saturday.
Then I will turn on and drain the water into the woods until the water test on Monday.
Hopefully, I will have all the bleach (chlorine) out of the house.

Do you have any helpful advice to make sure I pass the water test?

Bonehead

Like I said a cheap chlorine test kit will tell you where you are. We had some hide out (sudden blast of chlorinated water) for days afterwards. I also ran the chlorinated water through every single item that would pass water in the house: toilets, utility sink, washing machine hoses (disconnect from washer) kitchen sink sprayer gizmo everything. I had 4 hoses running full open for 6 hours before I got any chlorine clear test results and then we still had some hideout in the piping system. I also ran water into the well to mix the chlorine up well after adding the bleach to the well. I have a 4" 400' well and the amount I used was 5 pints per the calculation. I got all this from an old county extension service information sheet aimed at farmers.

I guess that I really didn't answer you question about the test.

7dgirl

Good Luck. My brother has shocked his well 4 time now and still now able to get a passes water test. Well is less the 5 years old and even had the company who installed the Well do a test to check the integrity of the Well. They stated the well is fine and just need to keep re-treating until you are able to get a passed test

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Good Luck. My brother has shocked his well 4 time now and still now able to get a passes water test. Well is less the 5 years old and even had the company who installed the Well do a test to check the integrity of the Well. They stated the well is fine and just need to keep re-treating until you are able to get a passed test

Shocked the well Friday morning. Started flushing Saturday morning. Had the water test done Monday morning. Results were back Tuesday morning.
Passed.
I kept the outdoor faucets on for 2 days and had the water taken with while the pump was on, getting the water straight from the well and not the pressure tank.
We still have the smell of bleach in the inside faucets, so I have been flushing the pressure tank every night when I get home.
Trying to keep most of the bleach out of the septic tank.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Is your brother going through the health department?