Local alarm contractors

officeguy

...other than ADT and Vivint.

I am looking for a local company to update a system and provide monitoring.

Goldenhawk

We had good luck with a small system at my mother-in-law apartment over a 10-year span with Allied Alarm, 800-548-3135, http://www.alliedalarm.com

The monitoring service promptly called every time the alarm was triggered or power went out; when we didn't respond quickly they did call the police. No complaints at all about their service.

As far as I can tell they're MD/VA/WV focused.

BernieP

Resident PIA

FrontPoint

They were one of the top rated. I couldn't get someone from ADT out to do an estimate. Turns out with FrontPoint they walk you through it, you give them the layout, rooms, windows, entrances.
They then tell you what they think you need. It's totally wireless, you install. When you are ready to activate, you call them. Internet accessible and works with Alarm.com app.

limblips

PREMO Member
DIY with SimpliSafe. No contract, install yourself, customizable, and cheap monitoring. Uses cell towers with battery backup so no worries if power goes out or phone lines down. Downside for you, they aren't local.

Hannibal

I've been using Front Point for the past two years and love them/their system. You buy ONLY what you want. You can go as basic as you want (a few door/window sensors) or you can go pretty elaborate (cameras, etc.). I ultimately added sensors to all my doors and windows, added a few glass break sensors for a few big windows that didn't open/close like a traditional window, and a couple motion sensors. Added a remote touch screen as well. All in all, I think I spent less than $1k and setup a yearly contract. Costs me $40/mos to monitor. I can check on the status via my cell phone/Ipad and it will tell me what sensors are opened or when they were opened. Hell, I can more or less tell when and how people migrate through my house by motion sensor action. My fire alarms are also tied to it. It's very easy to install (peel and stick) and very simple to setup. You can arm to system as a "Stay" where it activates your door/window sensors but deactivates all motion based sensors (so you can move about the house) or to "AWAY" which arms all.

We've set it up to text us when certain doors are opened regardless of system arming. For example, we spend most of our time upstairs. We have a basement door to the backyard. With little kids, should they be playing downstairs and open that door, we will be notified. Same goes for the kids bedroom windows. Just a little peace of mind.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I don't want to get TOO specific on a public forum but I'd be glad to give you any advice or ideas if interested.