Genesis 19 Destruction of Sodom

seekeroftruth

Genesis 19:12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here—sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here, 13 because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the Lord against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it.”

14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry[a] his daughters. He said, “Hurry and get out of this place, because the Lord is about to destroy the city!” But his sons-in-law thought he was joking.

15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished.”

16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to them. 17 As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, “Flee for your lives! Don’t look back, and don’t stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!”

18 But Lot said to them, “No, my lords,(b) please! 19 Your[c] servant has found favor in your[d] eyes, and you[e] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn’t it? Then my life will be spared.”

21 He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. 22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it.” (That is why the town was called Zoar.[f])

23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.

29 So when God destroyed the cities of the plain, he remembered Abraham, and he brought Lot out of the catastrophe that overthrew the cities where Lot had lived.​

Genesis 19:14 Or were married to
Genesis 19:18 Or No, Lord; or No, my lord
Genesis 19:19 The Hebrew is singular.
Genesis 19:22 Zoar means small

Here's what the easy english commentary says.

• Lot appealed to God. He asked God to save Zoar.
  • Abraham had also appealed to God. He loved the people in Sodom and he cared about them. So he had asked God to save Sodom. Lot, however, was selfish when he asked God to save Zoar. Lot asked it because he needed a place to live. And Zoar was a city. He thought that it would be a better place to live than the mountains. Although the people there were not *righteous, it was only a small city. So maybe God would be willing to save it. But Lot still did not hurry. He still wanted to do things in his own way. He was not willing to trust that God knew best.
  • God answered Lot’s prayer for Zoar, although it was a selfish prayer. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah very quickly. The valley had been a very good place where food plants grew well. But now nothing would grow there. And one can still smell sulphur there.
  • Lot’s wife did not obey the Lord, and so the Lord did not save her. She liked to live in Sodom and she did not want to leave. Maybe when she brought up her daughters, she did not teach them to trust God. Maybe she did not teach them to do the right things in their lives.
  • ‘She became a column of salt.’ When we first read that, it may seem very strange! But when God destroyed the cities and the valley, he sent fire and sulphur. And he used such great force that it pushed many substances from the ground into the air. Many substances mixed together. So, the air became full of some kind of salt. When Lot’s wife turned round, the wind blew the salt into her face. So, suddenly she could not breathe and she died. The salt was so thick that it quickly covered her body. So then, her dead body was just standing there like a column of salt.
  • God thought about Abraham, and God saved Lot because of Abraham’s prayer. God can save other people when we pray.

I figured I would look for archaeological evidence that Sodom existed.

Seeking to answer the question “Where is Sodom?” and using the Biblical geography of Genesis 13 as a guide, Collins decided to excavate Tall el-Hammam, an extensive and heavily fortified site located in modern Jordan at the eastern edge of the kikkar. First inhabited during the Chalcolithic period (4600–3600 B.C.E.), the site attained its maximum size during the Middle Bronze Age (c. 2000–1600 B.C.E.) and became one of the largest cities in Canaan. But unlike other Canaanite cities that continued to flourish in the Late Bronze Age (1550-1200 B.C.E.), Tall el-Hammam was destroyed by fire at the end of the Middle Bronze Age and remained uninhabited for centuries.

Across Tall el-Hammam, archaeologists found widespread evidence of an intense conflagration that left the Middle Bronze Age city in ruins. They found scorched foundations and floors buried under nearly 3 feet of dark grey ash, as well as dozens of pottery sherds covered with a frothy, “melted” surface; the glassy appearance indicates that they were briefly exposed to temperatures well in excess of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, the approximate heat of volcanic magma. Such evidence suggests the city and its environs were catastrophically destroyed in a sudden and extreme conflagration.

Another site says this.

Concerning the proposed cause of the destruction of the plain where Sodom and Gormooah were, they are proposing that it was the result of an earthquake that forced combustible material to the surface and into the atmosphere. Surveys have located bitumen, petroleum, natural gas and sulfur in the area. And to the east of the Dead Sea is a major fault line and these cities are located exactly on this fault line.

Here's one more link.

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a certain fact of history. The Genesis account is written in narrative form and alluded to by several other Old Testament writers. Jesus Himself obviously believed it and in fact was an eyewitness as the pre-incarnate Lord. Extra-biblical writings (including tablets unearthed at Ebla) mention Sodom and even give specific references to its location along the Jordanian shore of the Dead Sea.

:coffee:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
These verses were in today's edition of "Today in the Word" from Moody. Abraham arguing with God Himself - imagine that - about saving others.

It is a sure representation of today around the world. Few will be spared. Take it to the bank.:jameo:

Maranatha.

Last edited:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
(19:14-17) Lot told his two sons in law that God was going to destroy the city, but they thought he was kidding. (His daughters were married, and therefore not likely to be virgins, as he said in verse 8. But, hey, it was a "just and righteous" lie, intended to make his daughters more attractive to the sex-crazed mob.) Then the angels told Lot to take his family and leave the city, warning him not to look back or God would burn him to death, too.

So then God, or the angels, or both, killed every single person in that city. And out of all in that city, only those 5 or 6 folks were worth of saving. Powerful stuff.

Waiting till we get to the next verses where Lot goes up in the hills, gets drunk by his daughters and has sex with them. Who says the bible isn't a great novel?

seekeroftruth

(19:14-17) Lot told his two sons in law that God was going to destroy the city, but they thought he was kidding. (His daughters were married, and therefore not likely to be virgins, as he said in verse 8. But, hey, it was a "just and righteous" lie, intended to make his daughters more attractive to the sex-crazed mob.) Then the angels told Lot to take his family and leave the city, warning him not to look back or God would burn him to death, too.

So then God, or the angels, or both, killed every single person in that city. And out of all in that city, only those 5 or 6 folks were worth of saving. Powerful stuff.

Waiting till we get to the next verses where Lot goes up in the hills, gets drunk by his daughters and has sex with them. Who says the bible isn't a great novel?

And Ishmael.... from who Islam is supposed to be rooted lived through all this.

Just to clear things up a little for you.... back in those days, once a marriage was arranged the couple was known as husband and wife.... the marriages were sometimes arranged at birth.... so that's where the son-in-law part comes in.

But you are right... it is a great book...

seekeroftruth

I wanted to add.... one of the sons born to Lot's daughters was Moab. Ruth was a Moabite...

Jesus came from a very very bad family...

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Powerful stuff, eh? Yet you can't wait to get to the part about incest. Shows where you stand. God knows.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Powerful stuff, eh? Yet you can't wait to get to the part about incest. Shows where you stand. God knows.

It's a book. Of stories. When you read it like that, it is what it is. Some of it is pure ridiculous fiction. Stories told to keep fear in the masses.

And by powerful, I meant to point out what a violent, evil being your god was. Murdering an entire city, babies, children, innocents and guilty alike. Sweeping justice, huh? Flaming sword of the lord!

please...spare me your righteous indignation

Last edited:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
What the Bible says about Incest

Lot was a just and righteous man.

And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) 2 Peter 2:7-8
He was the only man that God saved from the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

...the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. Genesis 19:15
He got drunk and impregnated his virgin daughters.

Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. Genesis 19:32-36
Yet elsewhere incest is condemned.

None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness. Leviticus 18:6
And, at least in some cases, is punishable by death.

And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:11
And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:12

And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you. -- Leviticus 20:14

Go figure.

seekeroftruth

It's a book. Of stories. When you read it like that, it is what it is. Some of it is pure ridiculous fiction. Stories told to keep fear in the masses.

And by powerful, I meant to point out what a violent, evil being your god was. Murdering an entire city, babies, children, innocents and guilty alike. Sweeping justice, huh? Flaming sword of the lord!

please...spare me your righteous indignation

When my oldest daughter was teething she would gnaw on anything. She started biting. She never felt the pain of the bite. Everyone she bit, did feel it. Those little teeth were sharp! I read all the books and tried all kinds of ways to stop her. None of them worked. Then finally I bit her back. The biting stopped.

In the story of Sodom.... notice that it wasn't just the grown men at Lot's door. There were boys there too. Those boys had been abused. When something that deplorable happens to a child, it changes them. Those people thought it was ok to abuse children. The way I see it God had to wipe them out.

If one other person had come to stand up to those men and boys at the door, they would have been spared as well. I figure it was a mob scene.... people had to know what was going on.... but it was normal.... and they allowed it to be normal. They were no longer innocent.

I can see how people can think that some of the stories in the Bible are just fantasy.... the story of the bones coming to life.... that one is really fantastic. I can see how people could say that God is cruel because He wiped out complete cities.... Remember though,it was humans who wiped out Nagasaki

My God can be extremely vicious. Have you ever watched the discovery channel when one animal attacks another? Humans are the most vicious animal of them all... capable of all kinds of atrocities. Should God just let them do what ever they want? In Sodom.... children were abused and growing up to abuse others.

God never asked us to sacrifice our children. Other gods did though.... look at 2 Kings 17.

2 Kings 17:16 They forsook all the commands of the Lord their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves, and an Asherah pole. They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal. 17 They sacrificed their sons and daughters in the fire. They practiced divination and sought omens and sold themselves to do evil in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger.​

And out of all this chaos, perversion, and incest.... one Child was born who just loved everyone.... and they murdered Him....

One day I'm going to meet Him face to face.... It's a very good book....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
When my oldest daughter was teething she would gnaw on anything. She started biting. She never felt the pain of the bite. Everyone she bit, did feel it. Those little teeth were sharp! I read all the books and tried all kinds of ways to stop her. None of them worked. Then finally I bit her back. The biting stopped.

In the story of Sodom.... notice that it wasn't just the grown men at Lot's door. There were boys there too. Those boys had been abused. When something that deplorable happens to a child, it changes them. Those people thought it was ok to abuse children. The way I see it God had to wipe them out.

If one other person had come to stand up to those men and boys at the door, they would have been spared as well. I figure it was a mob scene.... people had to know what was going on.... but it was normal.... and they allowed it to be normal. They were no longer innocent.

I can see how people can think that some of the stories in the Bible are just fantasy.... the story of the bones coming to life.... that one is really fantastic. I can see how people could say that God is cruel because He wiped out complete cities.... Remember though,it was humans who wiped out Nagasaki

My God can be extremely vicious. Have you ever watched the discovery channel when one animal attacks another? Humans are the most vicious animal of them all... capable of all kinds of atrocities. Should God just let them do what ever they want? In Sodom.... children were abused and growing up to abuse others.

God never asked us to sacrifice our children. Other gods did though.... look at 2 Kings 17.

2 Kings 17:16 They forsook all the commands of the Lord their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves, and an Asherah pole. They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal. 17 They sacrificed their sons and daughters in the fire. They practiced divination and sought omens and sold themselves to do evil in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger.​

And out of all this chaos, perversion, and incest.... one Child was born who just loved everyone.... and they murdered Him....

One day I'm going to meet Him face to face.... It's a very good book....

My sincere apology for highjacking your posts, I did not intend to use your very good posts to antagonize others on this forum. You bring a reading and interpretation of the bible and I respect you and how you state your views.