Auction score

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nobody wanted this brake lathe center last Saturday at Bubby's auction. So I snagged it for 25 bucks.

4 hours of work later, the entire thing works like new. Not a penny spent getting it there.

I love scoring stuff like this...where everything wrong with it is simply due to a lack of basic maintenance.

brake lathe.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The brake drum lathe (left side in pic) was dead simply because the gear oil in the trans had never been changed, turned to gelatin, and that stopped the tool feed ratchet from working. The rotor lathe on the right was suffering from similar neglect. Both work like new now. And it all came with enough of the carbide tool inserts to last my lifetime and beyond.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
well..you know where to get drums and rotors turned now. That was one reason I jumped on the deal...nobody down here turns them any more.

Indeed, and since I am in Hollywood every day .... not a big deal to head to the island

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I just had my brakes done and they turned the rotors for me. Granted, I did not go to Midas Lube to get them done, I went to a real shop.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Nice score! Most newer rotors are made so thin for weight savings that I'd be surprised if you could get one good turning on them. I just replace them with powerstop slotted/dimpled rotors when it's time. They are far superior to factory ones that warp on the commuter speedways. :)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...to last my lifetime and beyond.

...to the point where Bubby sells it again...for $25 :lol:

President Gude would create a program whereby folks like yourself are tasked with collecting, repairing, maintaining and putting back into service all manner of old school skill tools AND teaching youngsters how to use them and maintain them. Then, once up and running, we'd create an educational environment showing what has replaced these tools and why; pursuit of cheap over seas. Maybe we even teach kids to drink crap American beer instead of crap Mexican beer while we're at it.

We are losing national treasures in terms of both the tools and the skills. It ends upon my inauguration. :buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nice score! Most newer rotors are made so thin for weight savings that I'd be surprised if you could get one good turning on them. I just replace them with powerstop slotted/dimpled rotors when it's time. They are far superior to factory ones that warp on the commuter speedways. :)

I pretty much only work on and restore older vehicles. In addition to that, I've found that a lot of the aftermarket rotors and drums are not well machined and it really helps to go ahead and mount the rotor on the hub and turn it as an assembly.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Where do I send my donation? You do take IOUs..?

If I have your vote I don't need YOUR donation. I just need you to persuade every one you can to vote for me. It hasn't come to maturity yet but the web, youtube, web casts and the like, are handing the ability to communicate with the 60-70 million people needed, openly, directly, as to platform, debate, messaging necessary to win and it wouldn't take millions or billions of dollars.

Sounds good, Gilligan. Nice find. I really miss having access to a full machine shop local. Up north I had my choice of shops for whatever was needed, head rebuild, brakes, etc.... The art of repair vs replace is getting lost.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I really miss having access to a full machine shop local.

That right there is the reason why I've continually added equipment to my own shop over the years. Between my shop and a good buddy's shop in Compton, we've got every manner of automotive machine work covered now, with one remaining exception....we don't have a crank/engine balancer yet.

Agee

Nobody wanted this brake lathe center last Saturday at Bubby's auction. So I snagged it for 25 bucks.

4 hours of work later, the entire thing works like new. Not a penny spent getting it there.

I love scoring stuff like this...where everything wrong with it is simply due to a lack of basic maintenance.

Sweet!

What part of the lathe required Corona?

indeed, but not a problem with my 2 ton 86 wagoner, and its Dana 44's

Had a 86 Grand Wagoner, what a tank! Unfortunately it had the inline-six...