Rosanne Cash on Gun Debate: 'Don't Tell Me to Keep My Mouth

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

On Friday, October 2nd, just one day after a gunman on the campus of Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, killed nine people and injured several others, singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash took to her Facebook page, calling on readers to sign a petition urging the White House to reinstate the 1994 federal ban on assault weapons.

That call to action touched off widespread debate from the singer-songwriter's Facebook followers, with Cash writing an additional post calling for commenters to be more respectful of other's opinions.

The first of Cash's writings came just hours after the massacre, which was reportedly the 264th mass shooting of the year (on the 274th day of 2015). In her original post, Cash wrote, "If you are as sick of gun violence in this country as I am, then let's stop talking about it and just do ONE simple thing." "

"Explaining that she eventually left the PAX board (which has since merged with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence) after "ten years of meeting grief-stricken parents of children killed by guns," the mother of four also revealed that her daughter, Chelsea, had once been held up at gunpoint while working in a jewelry store.

"The gunmen held her for 20 minutes," she explained. "I'm so grateful she was not killed and I'm also so acutely aware that the difference between me and the moms carrying the photos on the march is a split second.

Do NOT tell me that Chelsea 'should have had a gun.' If she had, she'd be dead. She is not physically or mentally able to coolly aim a gun at someone who is already pointing a gun at HER, and fire sharp-shooter style at another human being while terror-stricken. Nor am I. Nor are millions of other people."

Cash closed the lengthy post writing, "If one classroom of first graders can be saved just by requiring background checks and a ban on military style weapons, wouldn't it be worth it? One teenager in a movie theater, one student nurse, one pastor in the pulpit, one little pre-schooler? If the answer is no, or the answer is just more vicious rhetoric, then we should be ashamed. That child could be yours. It was almost mine. So don't tell me to keep my mouth shut."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"If one classroom of first graders can be saved just by requiring that good guys and gals, armed to the teeth and trained to handle the challenge of an attack, were on staff, wouldn't it be worth it? ..... If the answer is no, or the answer is just more vicious rhetoric, then we should be ashamed. That child could be yours. It was almost mine. So don't tell me to keep my mouth shut."

Slight modification. It's one thing to hope someone willing to murder kids might not break the law and get a gun and attack. It's another to employ this wonderful pool of good, experienced, dedicated folks who have served in our armed forces and would love the jobs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, yes, I'm supposed to take my advice on gun control from someone who doesn't even know the weapon she's calling for the ban of doesn't freakin exist? That's like taking mechanical advise from someone who's recommendation is to change out the muffler bearing grease and top off the blinker fluid.

Now, lets talk about how we define "mass shootings". I'm struggling with over 260 of them in this year. And we need to talk less about how many folks with a legal right carry the weapons they killed with compared to those who had lost that right. And how we punish people who carry illegally and those who help them get them. Guy right here in the county, handled getting over 50 guns into criminals hands. What was his punishment?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"If one classroom of first graders can be saved just by requiring background checks and a ban on military style weapons,

So we're to believe that forbidding rifles to be the color black will solve a problem? Really?? An AR-15 clone is somehow more lethal than a Ruger Ranch Rifle?????

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ah, yes, I'm supposed to take my advice on gun control from someone who doesn't even know the weapon she's calling for the ban of doesn't freakin exist? That's like taking mechanical advise from someone who's recommendation is to change out the muffler bearing grease and top off the blinker fluid.

Now, lets talk about how we define "mass shootings". I'm struggling with over 260 of them in this year. And we need to talk less about how many folks with a legal right carry the weapons they killed with compared to those who had lost that right. And how we punish people who carry illegally and those who help them get them. Guy right here in the county, handled getting over 50 guns into criminals hands. What was his punishment?

The FBI defines "mass murder" as 4 or more murders without a cooling down period between the murders, so "mass shootings" should be 4 or more shooting victims without a cooling down period. Not saying it is accurate but this site lists "mass shootings" and for 2015 they claim 297 that fit the definition - http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015

Hijinx

Roseanne Cash is only a celebrity because her Daddy was one. She made a couple of recordings which copied Johnny Cash's style, Johnny backed her and they sold.
If her name was Roseanne Jones she might get to sing in a local bar.
Now this does not give her any more expertise in what she is saying than, me or Big Blue or any of us in this forum.

But she is using her celebrity (what there is of it ) to make a statement.

That is her right, no one should ask her to shut up. They should just not pay any more attention to her than they would anyone else making an arugument.

Perhaps if she were talking about which guitar to buy I would pay more attention.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, to me, gang type activity, where there's a +90% chance the shooter didnt have the gun legally can be dismissed from that list. So many are on that list where it's thee wounded, one dead, two wounded, two dead, and not very many are what most folks would consider "mass murder". Cases where the perps only purpose was to rack up a body count or fame. I would bet that most are cases of gangbanger shootouts. Still bad news, but not what most folks think of when you think about a campus shooting with 10 dead.