Demoncrat Blowhards

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
this would not have made any difference ....

Speaking on the Senate floor, Reid urged his colleagues Monday to pass legislation to require mandatory background checks on gun purchases.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2573473

Reid blamed a lack of action on Republicans, whom he said "wage a right-wing ideological crusade fashioned by the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America."

"To pass background checks, we need Republicans to stop acting as puppets of the NRA," he said.

He said that ninety percent of gun owners, a majority of the members of the NRA and 86 percent of Republicans believe there should be background checks, despite the lack of action.

"Each time gun violence claims the life of an American, the nation follows the same routine," said Reid, echoing remarks made by President Obama following the shooting in Oregon.

Last edited:

Hijinx

He said that ninety percent of gun owners, a majority of the members of the NRA and 86 percent of Republicans believe there should be background checks, despite the lack of action.

Old Harry pulled those figures right out of his butt crack.

SamSpade

You know, they've passed so very many gun laws over the course of my lifetime, and to hear them talk about it, it hasn't done a damned thing.

Why, in this idiotic wish to rush to "do something" do they come up with ideas like these that, in retrospect, would have done absolutely nothing?

Ultimately in all these cases, men - police, most of the time - with guns put a stop to it.

So why isn't THAT the clearly obvious answer? Put a man with a gun there. You have security? Arm them.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You know, they've passed so very many gun laws over the course of my lifetime, and to hear them talk about it, it hasn't done a damned thing.

Why, in this idiotic wish to rush to "do something" do they come up with ideas like these that, in retrospect, would have done absolutely nothing?

Ultimately in all these cases, men - police, most of the time - with guns put a stop to it.

So why isn't THAT the clearly obvious answer? Put a man with a gun there. You have security? Arm them.

Because I don’t believe their desire is to make it harder for law abiding people to purchase firearms; it’s their desire to make it impossible – one tiny step at a time.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
because, it is ofc easier to blame the inanimate object than to admit there are Broken or EVIL People in the world that cannot be controlled with laws or peer pressure to behave

SamSpade

because, it is ofc easier to blame the inanimate object than to admit there are Broken or EVIL People in the world that cannot be controlled with laws or peer pressure to behave

Can't change human nature.

I can't recall who I was reading - I think it may have been on here or elsewhere - but the subject came up that in places like Great Britain and others where having a gun is much less likely, people are *FAR* more likely to just get into fistfights. The person bringing it up actually preferred the idea, since someone often dies in a gunfight, but usually doesn't in a fistfight. It was also mentioned that many young men in these places are used to the idea of getting into a fight and they've been in plenty of them.

So you still can't change human pugnacity.

PJumper

this would not have made any difference ....

I don't see why there's a lot of opposition to background checks to purchase guns. This would actually be good for responsible gun owners by eliminating the "nut cases" the make gun owners look bad. As long as there's a clear guideline on what conditions would prohibit someone to have guns and not just make up reasons to deny you own guns.

Just like I wouldn't want anybody with a dangerous condition drive a car or a child molester working in a daycare.

luvmygdaughters

You can pass gun control laws till the cows come home. It hasn't in the past, and I don't think it will in the future, change the fact, that bad people will obtain guns no matter how many laws you pass.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't see why there's a lot of opposition to background checks to purchase guns. This would actually be good for responsible gun owners by eliminating the "nut cases" the make gun owners look bad. As long as there's a clear guideline on what conditions would prohibit someone to have guns and not just make up reasons to deny you own guns.

Just like I wouldn't want anybody with a dangerous condition drive a car or a child molester working in a daycare.

Colorado Theater Shooter Carried 4 Guns, All Obtained Legally

Gabrielle Giffords Shooter's Gun Purchased Legally

FBI says Dylann Roof should not have been cleared to purchase a weapon - background system FAILED

ATF: All of Oregon Shooter's Firearms Were Purchased Legally

Vester Flanagan Bought Gun Legally From Virginia Dealer, Officials Say

Charles Whitman - Legally Purchased
Lanza - stole guns after killing his mother
Columbine - Purchased Illegally [strawman]
Va Tech shooter - Legally Purchased

James Oliver Huberty - 1984 - McDonald's Restaurant, San Ysidro, California - Legally Purchased
Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson - Stolen From Family
Patrick Henry Sherrill - All weapons were acquired legally. According to the District Attorney in Oklahoma City, Sherrill had no criminal record or history of mental instability. [probably the 1st 'Postal' Shooter'

James Jay Lee of San Diego, Calif - Shot and Killed at the Discovery Building in Silver Spring MD - Eco Terrorist - so know one is talking about where his gun came from I guess it doesn't matter he did not kill 15 people

look up all the high profile mass murder ...

http://www.vpc.org/studies/wguncont.htm

I did not research every last case, but I see a trend, mass murders committed by people that STOLE or Legally purchased firearms, days, weeks, months or years before snapping ...

Hijinx

What is the actual difference between background checks and gun registration?

Many people object to gun registration because what that actually does is tell authorities where to go and get those guns when they finally pass laws to confiscate them.
And those laws are coming. That is what this is really all about.

Background checks serve the same purpose in actuality, When they check your background they also register your weapon, or at least they register that you tried to get a weapon. Serves the same purpose they know where to go when confiscation begins.

Anyone who does not believe that the real purpose is total gun banishment is dreaming.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Background checks serve the same purpose in actuality, When they check your background they also register your weapon, or at least they register that you tried to get a weapon.

Universal Background Checks for Dummies

To understand why gun owners don’t want a federal law that make background checks “universal” (i.e. mandatory for all private firearms sales) know this: background checks for firearms purchases made through an FFL create a gun registry. A database of who bought what gun when and where.

Strangely, it’s not the background check itself that creates the database. By law, the FBI must destroy the electronic record of all firearms-related background checks by the next business day. As long as the Fibbies follow the letter of the law, an FFL’s criminal background check doesn’t pose a threat to a gun owner’s personal privacy.

It’s The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) that’s the problem. They’re the Agency in charge of making sure that all FFL dealers maintain a paper record of all firearms sales and transfers in their “bound book.” The ATF requires that FFLs enter the following information about a gun buyer into their bound book:

1. The date of receipt of the firearm;
2. The name and address of the non-licensee or the name and FFL license number of the licensee from whom you received the firearm;
3. The name of the manufacturer and importer (if any) of the firearm;
4. The model of the firearm;
5. The serial number of the firearm;
6. The type of firearm (pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame, etc); and
7. The caliber or gauge of the firearm

This is a gun registry.

By law, the federal government can’t use the information in the FFL dealer’s bound book to create a database (i.e., a centralized gun registry). Only they can. And do.

By law, an FFL dealer must provide sales information recorded in their bound book to various federal agencies when asked to assist with a criminal investigation. By law, an FFL dealer who retires from the business must surrender their bound books to the ATF. In both cases, records are kept, a registry (whether paper or electronic) created.