McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed

This could get really interesting. I struggle to see a plausible way that this works out well for Republicans politically.

I wonder if anyone had a camera on Mrs. Clinton when she first heard the news.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Something I didn't know that I heard yesterday, that the Speaker does not have to be a member of the house, it can be a senator or even a private citizen.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This could get really interesting. I struggle to see a plausible way that this works out well for Republicans politically.

I wonder if anyone had a camera on Mrs. Clinton when she first heard the news.

Both parties are in such chaos that it makes it hard to know which will self-destruct more than the other.

This_person

Something I didn't know that I heard yesterday, that the Speaker does not have to be a member of the house, it can be a senator or even a private citizen.

I wonder if that has ever been adjudicated to be true. I'd never considered that a possibility before, either, but Article One Section Two is not really specific. The implication of the very first sentence of that Section ("...Shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people...") could be used to imply the speaker, as a member of the House, must be a Representative. But, the very last sentence of the Section ("The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker...") doesn't explicitly require the Speaker be a member.

Interesting thought, for sure.

I'd vote for Newt.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
pngCropperCapture[5].pn.png

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I saw this headline earlier today and had no time to follow up on the story. But wow! I think this could be a really good thing.

Or not.

But this just shook everything on the GOP side of the aisle all up and that can't be a bad thing. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

It will be interesting to see how they perceive themselves in whom they choose. They've got minorities. They've got female minorities.

This_person

It will be interesting to see how they perceive themselves in whom they choose. They've got minorities. They've got female minorities.
I don't think they should pick someone based on race or sex. They should pick them based on ideology and leadership capabilities.

That said, it would be interesting to see how it would go with a failed Democrat Speaker presiding over a predominantly Republican House. Maybe they should let the vote go, and let Nancy win. What could be better to show bipartisanship?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't think they should pick someone based on race or sex. They should pick them based on ideology and leadership capabilities.

That said, it would be interesting to see how it would go with a failed Democrat Speaker presiding over a predominantly Republican House. Maybe they should let the vote go, and let Nancy win. What could be better to show bipartisanship?

I think they should pick someone based on politics. Can you imagine how easy life would be for them if they chose Mia Love as Speaker?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As has been proven over and again :lol:. Just a stray hope, I guess.

Ok but leadership for what?

She'd have enormous power to begin with. Hitler had great leadership qualities. So, to do what? I'd rather the house as a bunch of individuals voting their constituents instead of this party line, lockstep 'leadership' crap.

This_person

Ok but leadership for what?

She'd have enormous power to begin with. Hitler had great leadership qualities. So, to do what? I'd rather the house as a bunch of individuals voting their constituents instead of this party line, lockstep 'leadership' crap.

Leadership to affect positive change. "Lockstep" is not the goal, but consensus, in my humble opinion, should be. Part of leadership is explaining - to the point of converting the opposition - why your position is the best one for the circumstances. I do not think members should vote based on party, but on believing they're voting for the best interest of (first) their country and (second) their constituency. The vast majority of the time, those should be the same thing.

Regardless of which party is in the lead, there MUST be consideration given that a significant portion of the population believes something else. Where possible and appropriate, their needs should also be considered. Leadership helps the opposition vote your way, and your friends vote for things that help the opposition position - all at the same time.

Leadership is also the ability to persuade the population that they should have confidence in you to be able to handle the things I'm describing. One of the reasons I don't like Trump is the braggadocio. NO ONE is as good as he claims to be, and I would reflexively not enter into a deal with the guy based on how he acts, so I have no idea from where is reputation as a negotiator comes.

This is one reason why I would support Paul Ryan. I believed he should be the running mate because I wanted to vote for him for Pres after 8 years. He has the knowledge, the skills of persuasion, and the modesty to do the job well, I think.