votes to repeal country of origin label requirement for meat

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
WASHINGTON – Under threat of trade retaliation from Canada and Mexico, the House has voted to to repeal a law requiring country-of-origin labels on packages of beef, pork and poultry.

The World Trade Organization rejected a U.S. appeal last month, ruling the labels that say where animals were born, raised and slaughtered are discriminatory against the two U.S. border countries. Both have said they plan to ask the WTO for permission to impose billions of dollars in tariffs on American goods.

The House voted 300-131 to repeal labels that tell consumers what countries the meat is from -- for example, "born in Canada, raised and slaughtered in the United States" or "born, raised and slaughtered in the United States.""

House votes to repeal country of origin label requirement for meat

I don't get why the politicians in this Country SEEM to care about OTHER Countries. What about the USA being the first priority to the USA politicians?

If this was discussed here previously (suspect it was since this is June news), I didn't find it when I searched.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Shouldn't that be of major concern to all Americans, since those countries don't have to meet the same regulations and health safety standards?

ciwmj

Shouldn't that be of major concern to all Americans, since those countries don't have to meet the same regulations and health safety standards?

Have the politicians not heard that millions of pounds of chicken products from China were recalled because of contamination. Or do they not care about the people of this counrty. I don't want some ninny responding to this about this is about Canada & Mexico ,the repeal covers ALL counrties.