Shaving Supplies (traditional)

steppinthrax

I'm a DE razor shaver. I've always had to order my supplies online (shaving soap, knots etc...). Just curious who around here sells this kind of stuff in Calvert County area?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Foxhound tells me that they sell some of that kind of thing in the pharmacies around the county. Rite Aid in PF, CVS(?) in Solomon's and Walgreen's in Lusby.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Do you still put the dull blades into the slot in the medicine cabinet? I saw those slots as a kid and wondered who thought that was a good idea.

I'd like to find an alum bar. It's a good post shave routine. I had 1 years ago when I was mostly blade shaving.

steppinthrax

Foxhound tells me that they sell some of that kind of thing in the pharmacies around the county. Rite Aid in PF, CVS(?) in Solomon's and Walgreen's in Lusby.

NOPE!!!

I'm talking DE razors, DE razor blades, Shaving brushes, shaving soap (not can ####).

I'm talking Arko, Col Conk, Omega, Badger hair knots, Merkur, Edwin and Jagger.....

I'm thinking there has to be some barber somewhere who does traditional straight blade shaving and provides to the public...

steppinthrax

Do you still put the dull blades into the slot in the medicine cabinet? I saw those slots as a kid and wondered who thought that was a good idea.

I'd like to find an alum bar. It's a good post shave routine. I had 1 years ago when I was mostly blade shaving.

You can make your own or just get a septic stick at walmart. It's basically the same thing. Alum bar is better though...

General Lee

There isn't to my knowledge. I have looked and wondered myself. To get the good quality stuff keep ordering online. Best bang for the buck on DE blades are the Derby's IMO.

steppinthrax

There isn't to my knowledge. I have looked and wondered myself. To get the good quality stuff keep ordering online. Best bang for the buck on DE blades are the Derby's IMO.

LOL,

I've been using feather, but they can tear your face up. I've been thinking of getting a sampler pack....

But I'm thinking there are some barbers in NB/SB Dunkirk etc that have supplies they sell....

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
http://www.shoppipers.squarespace.com/razors/

This is what my husband is getting for Christmas (cant decide between the safety or the multiblade )..met the craftsman at artfest and was impressed by him and his absolutely beautiful kits. Unfortunately he is Frederick and not Calvert so that doesn't exactly answer your OP, but I thought itd be a good place to mention it, plus he certainly ships and appears to do local activities often.

The shaving soap and aftershave that comes with it smells awesome and is from a small batch soap place also in Frederick http://www.theoldcolony.com/

Bann

PREMO Member
NOPE!!!

I'm talking DE razors, DE razor blades, Shaving brushes, shaving soap (not can ####).

I'm talking Arko, Col Conk, Omega, Badger hair knots, Merkur, Edwin and Jagger.....

I'm thinking there has to be some barber somewhere who does traditional straight blade shaving and provides to the public...

So are you talking a straight edge razor or a double edge razor? You said DE razors which is what Foxhound uses. You didn't specify a brand, you specified a type of razor. He bought his original set at The Art of Shaving BARBER and shaving store in the Annapolis Mall. He buys his Wilkinson (or Gillette, whatever) Double-Edged safety razor replacement blades at the local pharmacies. He also purchases the round pucks of soap at the pharmacies for his shave cup.

steppinthrax

So are you talking a straight edge razor or a double edge razor? You said DE razors which is what Foxhound uses. You didn't specify a brand, you specified a type of razor. He bought his original set at The Art of Shaving BARBER and shaving store in the Annapolis Mall. He buys his Wilkinson (or Gillette, whatever) Double-Edged safety razor replacement blades at the local pharmacies. He also purchases the round pucks of soap at the pharmacies for his shave cup.

DE = Double Edge,

Yes, this is what I use. I mentioned straight razor in a later post because most straight razor people know about DE and SE.

Art of Shaving = Overprised ####, there is a store here around Union Station. I walked in there once and ran circles around those guys.

Edwin and Jagger and Merkur are manufactures of DE razors.

If he's getting soap pucks he's likely getting Van Der Hagen. Not Col Conk, Arko, Williams. I'm looking for someone who has this!!!

Most of the DE razors are cheap low-quality razors maybe in a CVS (one brand). Where is he picking up Wilkinson/Gillette DE?

steppinthrax

http://www.shoppipers.squarespace.com/razors/

This is what my husband is getting for Christmas (cant decide between the safety or the multiblade )..met the craftsman at artfest and was impressed by him and his absolutely beautiful kits. Unfortunately he is Frederick and not Calvert so that doesn't exactly answer your OP, but I thought itd be a good place to mention it, plus he certainly ships and appears to do local activities often.

The shaving soap and aftershave that comes with it smells awesome and is from a small batch soap place also in Frederick http://www.theoldcolony.com/

I built my own kit. You will find many people who love shaving this way will use a mug (from somewhere). Low height mason jars with a screw top work great for different kind of soaps. I have a few jars with different soaps I experiment with.

I'm curious what type of heads are on the DE on the bottom.

Bann

PREMO Member
Yep, that is what I meant.

In the Shaving community we call this a Alum bar. Or Aluminum Sulfate.

You know what? If you weren't being a little d*ick, you might have read where he is getting his blades in my other post. Foxhound is currently driving us to Myrtle Beach -I was only trying to help you out by asking him.

P.s. He said all your shaving products sound metrosexually frou frou. :jet:

steppinthrax

You know what? If you weren't being a little d*ick, you might have read where he is getting his blades in my other post. Foxhound is currently driving us to Myrtle Beach -I was only trying to help you out by asking him.

P.s. He said all your shaving products sound metrosexually frou frou. :jet:

The places you mentioned don't sell anything. CVS stop selling Williams years ago. I was in a Rite Aid around that area and they sell low quality blades. Oh Yeah 100% Metorsexual Baby!!!!!

Chris0nllyn

Hit up Scalped Salon in Prince Frederick.

There's a few barbers that work there and they may be able to order you some stuff.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Alum blocks are made from potassium alum and are a mild astringent and antiseptic, usually used over the whole face during your post-shave ritual, before applying your aftershave or balm. Styptic pencils are made of some other substance - they're opaque white as opposed to alum's semi-transparency - and are used for sealing up any larger-than-weeper-sized cut that's still bleeding post-shave. Styptics are effective at that, but at the cost of a major burning sensation.