Stem

My son is very interested in the STEM program. WHY is the program not centrally located in St. Mary's Co? Maybe it's time to have a STEM program in the Northern part of the county as well. We pay our taxes up here too.

glhs837

Power with Control
" The three schools selected are located in close proximity to the Naval Air Station at Patuxent River, a major STEM partner. This allows students regular and frequent opportunities for field experiences to the naval base. Additionally, all three schools have the available building capacity to house the STEM Academy at their site currently and in future years as the program grows."

My two only did STEM for a couple of years, but I can tell you there were frequent base visits to place like the materials research lab, the flight simulators, and other activities like rocket launches and such that take place on the base. And duplicating the equipment (not to mention finding double the qualified teachers) would add a lot to the program cost. And you would be getting a lesser program without the base interaction. More hassle to attend, yes, but I can tell you that my kids buddies who stuck with it are getting opportunities you simply cannot get otherwise. Internships and such that are normally the province of college students.

Youngest son is now in 9th grade. Has been in STEM since 4th grade. We live at the north end of the county. Off Rt. 6 by Lettie Dent.

Is it a pain with him going to the south end? YES.
Is it a major family issue getting him to/from the bus, after school activities, etc? YES.
We now have 4 children in 5 different schools (12 grader is at Chopticon and the Tech Center).

Is it totally worth the hassle for the educational opportunity that #2 son is receiving? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the Navy being the MAJOR financial partner that they are for this program, STEM is where it belongs.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My son is very interested in the STEM program. WHY is the program not centrally located in St. Mary's Co? Maybe it's time to have a STEM program in the Northern part of the county as well. We pay our taxes up here too.

You don't get much closer to being centrally located than where it is now. Half way up the 235/5 corridor is somewhere around the Walmart in California. Only a couple miles from GMHS.

BOP

You don't get much closer to being centrally located than where it is now. Half way up the 235/5 corridor is somewhere around the Walmart in California. Only a couple miles from GMHS.

Well, to some people, anything north of Leonardtown is a foreign and potentially hostile country.

glhs837

Power with Control
And to some, anything at or south of GMR is more akin to The Wires corners that the northern end of the county :)

BernieP

Resident PIA

you may pay your taxes, but the volunteers (key word) are not paid by you or the government. You are asking them to make a commute possible up and back from their day job, which also means leaving earlier from the day job.

What did we do before there was STEM anyway?
I mean some of us went into engineering without the benefit of all these special classes and programs.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My wife and I, went to public schools that had classes, which helped the kids interested in science, math and technical trades, and spent much less on the less important activities, like team sports.