Earliest Draft of KJ Bible Discovered

H

Hodr

An American professor was searching last year for a letter relating to Samuel Ward, one of the translators of the King James Bible, in the archives of Sidney Sussex College in Cambridge.

So he is being credited for discovering a book........in a college library?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So he is being credited for discovering a book........in a college library?

I wonder how many other literary treasures are still waiting to be discovered in the world's libraries. Uncatalogued, or miscatalogued like this case... I'm guessing quite a few...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I wonder how many other literary treasures are still waiting to be discovered in the world's libraries. Uncatalogued, or miscatalogued like this case... I'm guessing quite a few...

Right, but a very sickening thought is how many treasures of the world have been destroyed in the last 15 years or so by al-qaida, the arab spring, and ISIS? Those crazy arabs and muslims........

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Right, but a very sickening thought is how many treasures of the world have been destroyed in the last 15 years or so by al-qaida, the arab spring, and ISIS? Those crazy arabs and muslims........

ugh. It's on a massive scale. ISIS reportedly destroyed an iconic Roman (if I recall correctly) arch just a week or so ago in Palmyra, Syria, but worse, to me, is their methodical destruction of the ancient libraries and document repositories....

Radiant1

Soul Probe
It's heartbreaking. Imagine if we still had all the manuscripts in the library of Alexandria that they burned down umpteen years ago.

C

Chuckt

...by an American no less. Thought it was interesting that it contains portions of the Apocrypha.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/10/15/american-finds-oldest-draft-king-james-bible.html

There Was Resistance to the Growing Cult of Idols and Icons

Interesting, up until the early eighth century, even the Roman Church taught against the use of the type of idols now found in Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

In 599, a Bishop Serenus of Marseille, shocked by the cult of images in his diocese, ordered their destruction. Pope Gregory (reigned 590-604) wrote him that he was correct to prevent their adoration, but should preserve them as "books of for the illiterate" (Brown HOJ. Heresies: Heresy and Orthodoxy in the History of the Church. Hendrickson Publishers, Peabody (MA), 1988, p. 212).

http://www.cogwriter.com/idols.htm

Some of the early Christians had idols and icons too.

onel0126

Bead mumbler

Radiant1

Soul Probe
There Was Resistance to the Growing Cult of Idols and Icons

Interesting, up until the early eighth century, even the Roman Church taught against the use of the type of idols now found in Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

http://www.cogwriter.com/idols.htm

Some of the early Christians had idols and icons too.

Oh, are we talking about idols now instead of the KJV?

Regarding the KJV, many Protestant bibles contain what they call the Apocrypha as a separate books from the rest of their bible. Apparently, this particular KJV was no different. The fact that they are included means some Protestants put weight to the books although they do not consider them "inspired".

As for idols, statues become an idol if in fact one is actually worshipping or adoring it, which the Catholic Church teaches not to do (hence the Pope's agreement), and the same holds true for books by the way. And no, it wasn't the "Roman Church" but a couple bishops, some of whom have been taken out of context. A cursory look at your link and I know I could refute what this man says point for point simply using context and logic.

Why do you seek to deceive, chuck? This is your opportunity to praise the KJV that you love so much, so why do you want to make this about Catholics?

Amused_despair

Although it is a work of fiction, in "The Screwtape letters' C.S. Lewis talks about how the demon Screwtape manages to convince one guy that the corner of the ceiling he looks up to at night to pray is actually what he is praying to, making it an idol. Idols do not have to be statues. Idols can be anything, even ideas.