Revelation 3 I spit you out!

seekeroftruth

Revelation 3:14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”​

The easy english commentary says this.

Laodicea was furthest south from the 7 churches. It was almost east from Ephesus. It was in the valley of the Lycus River. It was on the road that came from Ephesus. The road continued to Syria and then to Asia. It was the most important road in Asia. Laodicea was one of the richest trade centres in the world. It was a centre with many banks. It was also the centre of the courts. Like Sardis, it was also a centre of the cloth trade. It was famous for clothing and woollen carpets. They made the clothes from a local black wool. They were proud of these clothes. But they did not realise something. They were naked in the sight of God.

Laodicea also had a famous medical school. The doctors there dealt with people’s eyes. They were very good at that. They produced a special eye *ointment. It came from a rock in the area. There is a reference to these three activities in verses 17 and 18. The Lord has hard things to say to the Christians in this church.

There was a very severe earthquake in AD 60. The people, however, were very rich. They liked to help themselves. So they refused help from the Romans. This is not surprising. They thought that they did not need anything. They were so wealthy that they did not even need God.

We know nothing about the history of this church. We do not know who started it. Epaphras preached there. So he may have started the church. Paul wrote a letter to the church in Laodicea. This letter has been lost, although some say that it is our letter to the Ephesians.

An early Christian writer says that Archippus was the first bishop of the church in Laodicea. Paul mentions this man in his letter to the Colossians. This is what he says to him. ‘See that you complete the service which you have received from the Lord’. Maybe Archippus was not doing his job very well. This was, however, 30 years before the churches received the letters in Revelation.

David Guzik gives us these words.

The thief on the cross was cold towards Jesus and clearly saw his need. John was hot towards Jesus and enjoyed a relationship of love; but Judas was lukewarm, following Jesus enough to be considered a disciple, yet not giving his heart over to Jesus in fullness.​

I've been to churches like this. I've also known Christians like this.

:coffee:

C

Chuckt

Nice commentary and observation. Even the skeptic can't debate the intent of this passage.

But others do have other opinions on what the passage means.

16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

I think they are spit out because they are not part of the body.

seekeroftruth

16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

I haven't seen a single commentary in 55+ years that says that.

Amused_despair

So you just make things up on the spot? Nowhere does it even hint that, in fact it states specifically that they are spit out because they are neither hot nor cold, yet you decide to ADD to the Word of God? Interesting.

C

Chuckt

So you just make things up on the spot? Nowhere does it even hint that, in fact it states specifically that they are spit out because they are neither hot nor cold, yet you decide to ADD to the Word of God? Interesting.

Amused,

When you start teaching for a very long time, let me know how it goes for you.

Chuck

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I know this is lost on you Chuck but your shenanigans on this forum regarding personal interpretation of scripture only bolsters the Catholic belief that when there's no Universal Church/authority things run a muck...Protestants are even disagreeing with you...Again I point out--33k denominations. You can not believe this was Christ's intention. It's not even logical.

C

Chuckt

I haven't seen a single commentary in 55+ years that says that.

"Hot" refers to our relationship with God and "cold" refers to being honest rather than lukewarm and self-deceived because a lot of us are poor (spiritually bankrupt) in spirit (Mat. 5:3) and "theirs is the kingdom" but we're honest with God's word. We might not measure up but we are cold to God's word or honest to the truth of the gospel. Lukewarm would be "self-deceived". When you get someone who says, "Well, Jesus is fine and Buddha is fine, the Pope is fine and Krishna is fine, and Confucius is fine and it’s all fine" then you have lukewarmness. It is sort of like those who say on this site that Jesus is fine and Allah is fine because they want to join us together. It is lukewarmness.

Another thing is they had aqueducts and the water came down from the mountain so the water was cold on top of the mountain but if it came down and was lukewarm then it was far from the source. "Far from the source" is my easy definition for what the passage means.

Amused_despair

"Hot" refers to our relationship with God and "cold" refers to being honest rather than lukewarm and self-deceived because a lot of us are poor (spiritually bankrupt) in spirit (Mat. 5:3) and "theirs is the kingdom" but we're honest with God's word. We might not measure up but we are cold to God's word or honest to the truth of the gospel. Lukewarm would be "self-deceived". When you get someone who says, "Well, Jesus is fine and Buddha is fine, the Pope is fine and Krishna is fine, and Confucius is fine and it’s all fine" then you have lukewarmness. It is sort of like those who say on this site that Jesus is fine and Allah is fine because they want to join us together. It is lukewarmness.

Another thing is they had aqueducts and the water came down from the mountain so the water was cold on top of the mountain but if it came down and was lukewarm then it was far from the source. "Far from the source" is my easy definition for what the passage means.

Your first paragraph is supported by the scripture, the second is your own theory, and nowhere does either paragraph support your "not part of the body" contention.

C

Chuckt

Your first paragraph is supported by the scripture, the second is your own theory, and nowhere does either paragraph support your "not part of the body" contention.

If you spit something out, what are you really saying? You're saying that what you are eating is not going to be part of your body. And why would that be in a Christian context? Because if someone is not accepted, they aren't part of the body.
It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm sorry that your making fun of people when you don't understand is part of your self esteem. Why don't you raise your self esteem by making something instead of bothering others?

Amused_despair

I am not making fun of anyone, sometimes comedy just writes itself, you are evidence of that. If you do not want me to comment on your stuff, stop making stuff up.

C

Chuckt

I am not making fun of anyone, sometimes comedy just writes itself, you are evidence of that. If you do not want me to comment on your stuff, stop making stuff up.

I think everyone would have to leave for you to stop attacking them.
I'm sorry that you don't have any other form of entertainment in your life other than attacking others.

seekeroftruth

We've seen all this before, Y'all should think more of the message than the minutia.

John is on an Island all by himself. They can't kill him because he would be a martyr. So he's stuck all by himself..... and he talks to Jesus a lot. That's what you do when you are alone.... Lonely....

Then John had a vision of things he just couldn't describe in simple words. First he describes the way Jesus would react to the churches the way they were. Jesus wasn't really pleased with the things going on.

Christians everywhere were being persecuted. It was hard and some people gave up....

Then after he talked with Jesus about the churches.... Jesus gave him a glimpse of Heaven....

In Revelation 4... I think if you put what John's saying to us in today's context it would sound something like this....

"You know... I was just sitting there and from out of no where came a portal.... a door.... and Jesus let me see a glimpse of Heaven.... it was so awesome... and so real....

Then John would say.... I saw the throne... and rainbow... It was so beautiful.... and so real... that mean everything that Isiah, Ezekiel and Daniel said about talking with God.... it's all true.... He is a MAJOR KING... really... you should see the court....

In other words.... He's going to tell us about a wonderful story of Good and Evil....."

That's how I would paraphrase the message of Revelation so far. It's like this is the big introduction....

Stay out of the minutia.... enjoy the message....

Last edited: