Directv is out

tuffenuff2

So I come home from daily dog walk at the park and there's a message on the screen " No need to call us service will be restored as soon as technical difficulties are resolved" and there's background music playing. This is a first in our house.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Working fine here, probably the uplink from the channel you are watching, try another channel.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Our DTV randomly cycles, even during nice weather. Sometimes turning the receiver off at the switch and waiting about 10 minutes works; sometimes it doesn't; but the signal does straighten itself out eventually.

Forkian

My DirecTv has been working fine today. It goes out about 75% of the time if it is raining. I have found it to be an unreliable service in general.

H

Hodr

My DirecTv has been working fine today. It goes out about 75% of the time if it is raining. I have found it to be an unreliable service in general.

I don't use 'em anymore (more of a cord cutter I guess), but I used to install multiple systems (DirecTV, DISH, HughesNet, BUDs, you name it) and if you don't have foliage issues, moisture in your LNB, or a poorly aimed dish then you should still get service at our location even with pretty heavy constant rainfall.

You might want to check line of sight and aiming of dish when you have some free time, and if that doesn't fix the issue try to get them to swap the LNB for you.

If you happen to have a lot of receivers, and you have a 4 or 8 way unpowered splitter, that may also be the culprit since you need to have a pretty strong signal to go through 9dB of loss and still get signal through bad weather. Powered splitters aren't too expensive on eBay/Amazon.

Metrocrap

If the issue is with the tree line and cannot or do not want to go thru the expense of cutting trees down for a better signal, DISH Network has a higher angle then Directv. Worked for me.

tuffenuff2

If the issue is with the tree line and cannot or do not want to go thru the expense of cutting trees down for a better signal, DISH Network has a higher angle then Directv. Worked for me.

It was nothing wrong with our system it was with Directv themselves!

DEEKAYPEE8569

***disregard***

Our DTV randomly cycles, even during nice weather. Sometimes turning the receiver off at the switch and waiting about 10 minutes works; sometimes it doesn't; but the signal does straighten itself out eventually.

The light bulb went off.....wait, we don't have DTV; we have Dish Network. :doh:

FED_UP

So I come home from daily dog walk at the park and there's a message on the screen " No need to call us service will be restored as soon as technical difficulties are resolved" and there's background music playing. This is a first in our house.

My DTV channels were all out, they were back on later when I woke up last night.

Goldenhawk

The service is extremely reliable; I can't remember any actual outages unrelated to weather in many years we've had DTV. We experience brief outages only during EXTREMELY heavy rain (like, hailstorm-coming-soon kinda rain). Given that everyone across the US is using the same satellite signal, it has to be something about your equipment which is unreliable.

So there are a few highly likely problems. Your signal strength should be in the high 90s on the appropriate DTV menu; if not, one or more of these issues is hurting you.

Lousy cable inside your house. DTV officially requires RG-6 quad shielded cable (RG6QS) from antenna to the box. Many low-end home builders "prewire" houses for antenna or cable, but use very cheap RG4 cable, which has high losses. This lowers the signal strength.

Old or damaged equipment. You may have an old or cheap signal splitter somewhere in the system - especially if you're running the signal through existing house wiring. Also, newer dishes have better LNB receivers than old dishes. Lightning strikes of course can make things fail - and metal antennas on the roof can attract lightning.

Poor dish pointing. This can drift over time, if your mount isn't very tight. Any competent installer can fix this problem in minutes; you can do it yourself with a little work. A little Google searching will give you instructions.

Blocked satellite signal. Obviously anything between your dish and the satellite won't help. Even light tree or bush cover can kill signal.

BernieP

Resident PIA
A couple of things that can happen, DTV likes to push software overnight and sometimes the push fails and results in a hung system.
The equipment does go bad, if you start to have random problems it might be time to do a tech refresh on the receiver(s).
If you lose a block of channels it could be a problem with the satellite - sun spots are a problem. You receive from multiple satellites
Right now, channel 10 (WUSA) out of DC is apparently having some issues.

Wrkn4livn

I have had to reset many time last month. They said they put out a software update and haven't seen issues since.
I was ready to go to fiso but I tried a couple years back and the HD picture was not as good.

Had to unplug everything to get back on line.

Anyway, been working.
Haven't seen much rain interference with the oval HD dish. Snow, yes. Have to go out and clean the dish. Could by heater, but, not worth the expense

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I have had to reset many time last month. They said they put out a software update and haven't seen issues since.
I was ready to go to fiso but I tried a couple years back and the HD picture was not as good.

Had to unplug everything to get back on line.

Anyway, been working.
Haven't seen much rain interference with the oval HD dish. Snow, yes. Have to go out and clean the dish. Could by heater, but, not worth the expense

Try PAM or some other non-stick cooking spray.