Matthew 5:3 Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is

C

Chuckt

Matthew 5:3 Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who are poor in spirit. He means the humble, and lowly-minded, and self-abased. He means those who are deeply convinced of their own sinfulness in God’s sight. These are they who are not “wise in their own eyes and holy in their own sight.” They are not “rich and increased with goods.” They do not fancy they need nothing. They regard themselves as “wretched, and miserable and poor, and blind, and naked.” Blessed are all such! Humility is the very first letter in the alphabet of Christianity. We must begin low, if we would build high.

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who mourn. He means those who sorrow for sin, and grieve daily over their own short-comings. These are they who trouble themselves more about sin than about anything on earth. The remembrance of it is grievous to them. The burden of it is intolerable. Blessed are all such! “The sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite spirit.” One day they shall weep no more. “They shall be comforted.”

p.32-33, Expository Thoughts on the Gospels, Volume One, Matthew Mark, J.C. Ryle

John Charles Ryle (10 May 1816 - 10 June 1900) was the first Anglican bishop of Liverpool.

Ryle was born at Macclesfield, and was educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford, where he was Craven Scholar in 1836.

Ryle was a strong supporter of the evangelical school and a critic of Ritualism. He was a writer, pastor and an evangelical preacher.

While hearing Ephesians 2 read in church in 1838, he felt a spiritual awakening and was ordained by Bishop Sumner at Winchester in 1842. For 38 years he was a parish vicar, first at Helmingham and later at Stradbrooke, in Suffolk. He became a leader of the evangelical party in the Church of England and was noted for his doctrinal essays and polemical writings.

In his diocese, he formed a clergy pension fund for his diocese and built over forty churches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._C._Ryle

Amused_despair

...... He means the humble, and lowly-minded, and self-abased. He means those who are deeply convinced of their own sinfulness in God’s sight. .......He means those who sorrow for sin, and grieve daily over their own short-comings. These are they who trouble themselves more about sin than about anything on earth. The remembrance of it is grievous to them. The burden of it is intolerable.

This is what was added. Always amazing when mortals are able to know exactly what God "meant" and do so by adding to what was said and trying to modify the meaning.

C

Chuckt

This is what was added. Always amazing when mortals are able to know exactly what God "meant" and do so by adding to what was said and trying to modify the meaning.

That is because you don't understand and could use a class on Bible appreciation. Any good expositor is going to draw out the meaning using a thesaurus.

Poor in spirit means "spiritually bankrupt". It contradicts the Catholic idea of merit.

1.reduced to beggary, begging, asking alms

2.destitute of wealth, influence, position, honour

1.lowly, afflicted, destitute of the Christian virtues and eternal riches

2.helpless, powerless to accomplish an end

3.poor, needy

3.lacking in anything

1.as respects their spirit

1.destitute of wealth of learning and intellectual culture which the schools afford (men of this class most readily give themselves up to Christ's teaching and proved them selves fitted to lay hold of the heavenly treasure)

http://www.blbclassic.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G4434&t=KJV

PsyOps

Pixelated

Heck, most of time folks on here can't even figure out what each other means; so we try to interpret.

Considering the Bible was written in ancient Hebrew and Greek, a lot of words get used in translation don't accurately define words used in the original text; so the closest definition is used.

For instance... the word 'believe' is used a lot in the New Testament. Although there are several words used that translate into English and other modern languages that only resolve to one word: believe. So, word studies are done to better define what was being said. The word 'pisteuō' had several meanings: faith, entrust, commit. But when translating, the closest word was 'believe'.

Now I haven't done a word study on 'poor in spirit', but it's what Chuck is providing here; a word study to provide a more accurate context of what Jesus was talking about. So rather than just take 'poor in spirit' on face value (someone who is financially poor or someone who is depressed), there are other meanings beyond that, that through these word studies, reveal what Jesus was actually trying to say.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member

So now no one can comment on any passage from the Bible? Why leave it there? Just no comments on what anybody says about anything anywhere? No sense then in you commenting on what he said....

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Can you tell the difference between. 'I think this passage means....' and "God meant this instead of what is actually written" ?

Do you understand what "definitions" mean, as stated by a previous poster? And that people understand the meanings as well, even if you don't agree with or like the presentation? Or do you just nitpick anything and everything because you have no argument? You are amusing, and I would not doubt your despair.

C

Chuckt

Can you tell the difference between. 'I think this passage means....' and "God meant this instead of what is actually written" ?

And you've seen the original Bible?
Did the translators know what the writer meant or did they interpret it?
When the translators had to choose which word to use, literal Bible translations like the King James Version go almost word for word but sometimes it isn't always possible.

If you had to translate "It blew my mind", how would you translate that in 100 years from now? How would you explain it? Would you say there was gray matter exiting their head? Because that would be what the translation says instead of what it means.

In my own opinion, the translations are so wooden sometimes in a literal translation that the definition of the passage is hard to understand.

C

Chuckt

Do you understand what "definitions" mean, as stated by a previous poster? And that people understand the meanings as well, even if you don't agree with or like the presentation? Or do you just nitpick anything and everything because you have no argument? You are amusing, and I would not doubt your despair.

I think the user is a sock. The user only posts criticisms. Show me a post that the user did on his or her own that was their own work. Instead we get responses that are criticism because that is all the user does.
Compare that behavior to small person's syndrome.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Do you understand the difference between saying what you think God meant and deciding what God meant? It is a YES or NO question.

I doubt if you could discern between a yes or no answer, onel. You cannot comprehend that the exact same thing can be said numerous ways in many cases, and almost anything said can be said in different words without changing the meaning, but in a way others may understand.

So I will answer yes, there is a difference between the two if words do not mean the same thing, and no, there is not a difference as long as words mean the same thing.

In this case, there is no difference.

I'll bet you are really good at multiple choice exams as long as there is only one choice.

Comprende, so sad one?

Last edited:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I doubt if you could discern between a yes or no answer, onel. You cannot comprehend that the exact same thing can be said numerous ways in many cases, and almost anything said can be said in different words without changing the meaning, but in a way others may understand. So I will answer yes, there is a difference between the two if words do not mean the same thing, and no, there is not a difference as long as words mean the same thing. In this case, there is no difference. I'll bet you are really good at multiple choice exams as long as there is only one choice. Comprende, so sad one?
Why are you invoking my name when responding to someone else?

Amused_despair

Chuck all you do is post quotes and then proclaim your interpretation as the Truth. You choose to speak for God, I choose to let God speak for God. Oh, and I am not Onel, you may owe him an apology, sad one, not that you can obviously discern the difference in two people you are so blinded by your ignorance and yet so sure of what you think is knowledge.

C

Chuckt

Chuck all you do is post quotes and then proclaim your interpretation as the Truth. You choose to speak for God, I choose to let God speak for God. Oh, and I am not Onel, you may owe him an apology, sad one, not that you can obviously discern the difference in two people you are so blinded by your ignorance and yet so sure of what you think is knowledge.

Why don't you actually post something original? Instead you are just going after people on the board which means you have only one purpose and it isn't for enlightening people.

Amused_despair

Why don't you actually post something original? Instead you are just going after people on the board which means you have only one purpose and it isn't for enlightening people.

Original? I am not trying to create my own religion, merely commenting when you make up stuff about yours.