So ..... what can you tell me about St. Leonard?

Hannibal

With the sale of our Waldorf house, we've finally managed to get into the rental in St. Leonard this past weekend. Nice place right on the Bay. Quite the hike in terms of commute but beggars can't be choosers when looking at short term rentals.

The area seems decent. Some nice places. Some OK (not-so-nice) places. Great view of the water but with this cold weather snap, there may not be much time left to enjoy the beach access.

So, anything of note? Not that I am one to leave my car doors unlocked but is this the kind of place that should I forget, I might as well consider my cushion change gone? Do I need to look over my shoulder walking from my front door to my car in the early hours of the AM? It seems deer may be a problem this time of year so that long drive down the back roads may be a slow one. Does my wife need to be loaded up with mace if walking the dog at 830pm (after dark)?

And BTW - damn. You folks on Rt. 4 north pack up and roll like you're running Nascar. I was doing 70-75mph and had to get in the right hand lane as I was holding up traffic!

Im_Me

With the sale of our Waldorf house, we've finally managed to get into the rental in St. Leonard this past weekend. Nice place right on the Bay. Quite the hike in terms of commute but beggars can't be choosers when looking at short term rentals.

The area seems decent. Some nice places. Some OK (not-so-nice) places. Great view of the water but with this cold weather snap, there may not be much time left to enjoy the beach access.

So, anything of note? Not that I am one to leave my car doors unlocked but is this the kind of place that should I forget, I might as well consider my cushion change gone? Do I need to look over my shoulder walking from my front door to my car in the early hours of the AM? It seems deer may be a problem this time of year so that long drive down the back roads may be a slow one. Does my wife need to be loaded up with mace if walking the dog at 830pm (after dark)?

And BTW - damn. You folks on Rt. 4 north pack up and roll like you're running Nascar. I was doing 70-75mph and had to get in the right hand lane as I was holding up traffic!

I rented in St Leonard for a while a pretty long time ago and really enjoyed it. I'm still in the area and know a lot of people that live there. It's a nice place. Not a lot of crime. I never locked my car doors and managed to keep change in my car. It is a haul from major shopping so plan to stop at Safeway on the way home for groceries. Great liquor store access, though...there are 3 liquor stores. So their priorities are in the right place.

Buehlers is there for emergencies, but not much selection. You must hit the Tavern for local color. And the Auction house for Friday night socializing.

rdytogo

So, anything of note?

According to the romance that accrued to his name, recorded in an 11th-century vita, Leonard was a Frankish noble in the court of Clovis I, founder of the Merovingian dynasty. He was converted to Christianity along with the king, at Christmas 496, by Saint Remigius, Bishop of Reims. Leonard asked Clovis to grant him personally the right to liberate prisoners whom he would find worthy of it, at any time.

Leonard secured the release of a number of prisoners, for whom he has become a patron saint, then, declining the offer of a bishopric— a prerogative of Merovingian nobles— he entered the monastery at Micy near Orléans, under the direction of Saint Mesmin and Saint Lie. Then, according to his legend, Leonard became a hermit in the forest of Limousin, where he gathered a number of followers. Through his prayers the queen of the Franks was safely delivered of a male child, and in recompense Leonard was given royal lands at Noblac, 21 km (13 mi) from Limoges. It is likely that the toponym was derived from the Latin family name Nobilius and the common Celtic element -ac, simply denoting a place. There he founded the abbey of Noblac, around which a village grew, named in his honour Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat.

According to legend, prisoners who invoked him from their cells saw their chains break before their eyes. Many came to him afterwards, bringing their heavy chains and irons to offer them in homage. A considerable number remained with him, and he often gave them part of his vast forest to clear and make ready for the labours of the fields, that they might have the means to live an honest life.

Roman

St. Leonard is a good place. It sounds like you're moving in to the Long Beach area. Great choice. As far as locking your car, there have been a rash of theft from auto in the Calvert County area, not specifically St. Leonard. So it's better safe than sorry. I am sure you'll enjoy your short-stay there.

Hannibal

What's the place (gas station) on the circle? Stopped in there on a trip back out and the chicken smelled great. Is that the place you're referring to is it in one of those little strip mall sections? I love me some fried chicken.

Im_Me

What's the place (gas station) on the circle? Stopped in there on a trip back out and the chicken smelled great. Is that the place you're referring to is it in one of those little strip mall sections? I love me some fried chicken.

Faststop. They have good carryout.

bilbur

"St. Leonard is a census-designated place (CDP) in Calvert County, Maryland, United States. The population was 742 at the 2010 census.[1] Residents of the Calvert Beach and Long Beach communities also use the St. Leonard ZIP code designation. St. Leonard has a large antique dealer complex.
St. Leonard has a small central business district with several small shops, gas stations, and an independent grocery store originally owned and operated by former Calvert County Commissioner Patrick Buehler. The town has a volunteer fire department which has hosted numerous high-profile musical acts, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alan Jackson, and Hootie and the Blowfish at an outdoor pavilion adjacent to the fire department.

Notable places of interest near St. Leonard include Flag Ponds Nature Park, a nature preserve south of Long Beach along Chesapeake Bay, and Jefferson Patterson State Park 7 miles (11 km) south of town, home to an annual Celtic festival, to Maryland's state archaeological facility, and the site of several key naval battles fought in the Patuxent River during the War of 1812.

A detailed history of St. Leonard can be found in Sara Ehrenbeck Leeland's book St. Leonard: A Maryland Tidewater Community, published by the St. Leonard Vision Group in 2004.
As of the census[3] of 2000, there were 536 people, 169 households, and 142 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 164.8 people per square mile (63.7/km²). There were 178 housing units at an average density of 54.7/sq mi (21.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 88.25% White, 7.84% African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.19% Pacific Islander, 2.61% from other races, and 0.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.17% of the population.

There were 169 households out of which 49.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.0% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.4% were non-families. 12.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.17 and the average family size was 3.41.

In the CDP the population was spread out with 30.0% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 6.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 94.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.3 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $67,188, and the median income for a family was $62,321. Males had a median income of $40,809 versus $31,641 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $18,884. About 7.5% of families and 10.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.0% of those under age 18 and 8.9% of those age 65 or over."

Sorry, just being a smart @$$. From what I have heard about St Leonard it is a quiet place with low crime.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
and you can go to fire house in summer to see/hear concerts... But don't forget to support the marine museum too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midnightrider

long beach is known for sharks teeth. I have never been skunked on that beach. Lots of small ones if you know what to look for and plenty og big ones after storms or in the winter when less people use the beach.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The tavern at the circle is a fun place. I haven't been for awhile, but the food was pretty good too.

dave1959

It's in Calvert county and you're going to live with all those people that can't drive on bridges...

Concern4Calvert

The opening scene of the 1993 Clint Eastwood movie In the Line of Fire was filmed at Flag Harbor... there's my random contribution :p

I always found STL to be its own kind of charming. The closer to the water the more I like. Enjoy.

Clif.Bridegum

Welcome to ST Leonard! Its a nice little known town of Calvert County and the place I call home.

My favorite place to visit in ST Leonard is Jefferson Patterson Park. If you are into wine there is also a vineyard/winery (Perigeaux).

I happen to own an online Magazine of sorts for Calvert County and you can see everything we have written about in ST Leonard, MD at https://www.yourcalvert.com/tag/st-leonard.

Hannibal

Thanks for the welcome. Been there a few days and am very happy so far. I ventured into Buehler's (sp) last night for some chicken. Interesting place. Lady behind the counter was extremely nice and pointed out everything they offer. Has me intrigued for Spaghetti Wednesday for sure. The chicken was great. Even better, the beer store was right next store. Decent prices and pretty solid selection. Went with a hard cider given the season and the cooler air.

So far, this place is right up my alley. Can't wait for the weekend to see what kind of fishing action the beach may produce.