Medicinal Cannabis in Calvert meeting held last night

Chris0nllyn

A group of medical cannabis advocates have scheduled a meeting in Calvert County regarding the possibility of legally growing and dispensing marijuana in the county.

According to Kevin Merillat of a startup organization called 840 Inc., the “town hall” meeting will be held Monday, Oct. 19 at Fairview Library in Owings starting at 6 p.m.

“We would like to provide a forum for potential medical patients or concerned citizens so they can come and learn how the state legislature is set up, a summary of our business plan and how we plan to operate,” Merillat stated. “This will provide an opportunity for patients to ask questions directly to our clinical director. In addition, we will have our head of security present to answer security or safety questions.”

In a “business summary” posted on 840 Inc.’s web site, the organization is identified as having as its mission to become “one of the first approved growers and distributors of medical cannabis in Maryland.” In addition to growing and distributing medical marijuana, the organization plans to market “cannabis derivatives.”

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1015/medicalpotmeetingscheduled.html

A couple of things I took out of the meeting:
- MD is the first state to open medicinal cannabis cultivation, dispensing, and labs to businesses outside MD.
- There will be 15 cultivators, and about 109 dispensaries across the state.
- This group already has property and a building permit ready to go.
- They hope to get their first batch out by July 4, 2016.
- To become a patient, you'll need to input your info online, then get approved by the commission. after that, you'll get a list of doctors you can visit. That doctor will need to write you a prescription for it.
- You can take home a 1 month supply at a time, or 4 ounces.
- The state requires a substantial security system and plan. This company plans to go above and (way) beyond, double fencing, 24/7 CCTV system, armed security, K9s, license plate readers, etc.
- They plan to build a solar array sized 30% bigger than their max load. The check they receive from SMECO each year will go straight to the schools.
- They approached the commissioners about a "small excise tax" that would also go directly to education.
- They'll offer a veterans discount.
- Everything will be lab tested and certified by the ASA (Americans for Safe Access)
- They'll offer oils, flour, tinctures, etc., but the state forbids the sale of edibles. They will offer items to make your own.
- They'll offer a delivery service for patients who aren't able to come to the dispensary.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Do you think they will pass around a few joints of free samples to get the meeting rolling?

Restitution

To become a patient, you'll need to input your info online, then get approved by the commission. after that, you'll get a list of doctors you can visit. That doctor will need to write you a prescription for it.

Funny... you only need the prescription from ANY doctor to get Oxy, Methadone, and many of the other MORE abused prescription drugs. Why the extra steps for MJ?

Chris0nllyn

Funny... you only need the prescription from ANY doctor to get Oxy, Methadone, and many of the other MORE abused prescription drugs. Why the extra steps for MJ?

Because not all doctors will be in the program. Not all doctors will be prescribing marijuana, so the commission gives you a list of doctors that do.

Restitution

Because not all doctors will be in the program. Not all doctors will be prescribing marijuana, so the commission gives you a list of doctors that do.

Yes, but in this case.. you need to complete an online application AND be 'approved by a commission.'

Don't need to do that to be prescribed Oxy, Vicodin or Aderol.

bilbur

This is good news and a step in the right direction. I currently have a family member going through chemo and he is very stubborn. He will not try marijuana because it is illegal even though his nurse and doctor in a round about way told him it would help. I believe their exact words were while I cant recommend that you use marijuana I can tell you some people use it and say it helped them. Maybe my family member would use it if he had a prescription for it that is if he doesn't starve to death before they start writing prescriptions.

Chris0nllyn

Yes, but in this case.. you need to complete an online application AND be 'approved by a commission.'

Don't need to do that to be prescribed Oxy, Vicodin or Aderol.

Because to be prescribed marijuana, you need a medical marijuana card. To get the card, you need to fill out the application.

A. A qualifying patient may apply to the Commission for an identification card as part of the qualifying process by logging onto the Commission website and submitting:

(1) The completed application form as provided by the Commission;

(2) A current, clear photograph of the applicant’s face taken within 6 months of application;

(3) A copy of the qualifying patient’s government identification card or other proof of identity; and

(4) The required fee as specified in COMAR 10.62.35.

B. An identification card shall contain:

(1) The name and date of birth of the cardholder;

(2) An expiration date 2 years from the date of issue;

(3) A current, clear photograph of the applicant’s face taken within the previous 6 months; and

(4) The qualifying patient registry number assigned by the Commission.

C. A qualifying patient in hospice care is exempt from obtaining an identification card.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/COMAR/subtitle_chapters/10_Chapters.aspx#Subtitle62

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's what is proposed and passed, for now.

Here's the commission's FAQ page:
http://mmcc.maryland.gov/pages/patients/patients_faq.aspx

This is good news and a step in the right direction. I currently have a family member going through chemo and he is very stubborn. He will not try marijuana because it is illegal even though his nurse and doctor in a round about way told him it would help. I believe their exact words were while I cant recommend that you use marijuana I can tell you some people use it and say it helped them. Maybe my family member would use it if he had a prescription for it that is if he doesn't starve to death before they start writing prescriptions.

This company has an oncology nurse on staff. She was there last night and mentioned that. She said she's had friends that have grown it, though illegally, to allow patients to consume it. She also mentioned that pain management practices require drug testing, require someone to take all their pain pills, and keep doing every month. How does that help anyone, and especially the heroin "epidemic" mostly brought on by these opioid pain pills being handed out like candy?

Tell your friend it's coming, and hopefully it'll be here by mid-2016.

RPMDAD

Chris, just curious was there a big turn out for the meeting? I am 100% for it. I personally don't use it, however had several friends with terminal cancer who did and they claimed it really helped, i know it helps patients with chronic pain issues also.

inkah

I had a very good friend who used it as she was dying many years ago. She did it because her addict husband stole her prescribed narcotics. She swore by it - many times over the narcs she'd been taking. She claimed it helped the pain and allowed her to stay semi-aware in order to interact with her children and the folks who were coming by to say their farewells. While I HATE the ridiculousness surrounding so much of the so-called "medical use", I do hope your family member gets a scrip soon. Peace to all of you...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I noticed that as well. Awful. We can hand out pill form heroin like its nothing, but to light up a joint..it takes a freaking commission.

Not that it matters. Anyone with gainful employment will still not be able to touch the stuff. So its a great thing for those on disability but that's about it.

Chris0nllyn

Chris, just curious was there a big turn out for the meeting? I am 100% for it. I personally don't use it, however had several friends with terminal cancer who did and they claimed it really helped, i know it helps patients with chronic pain issues also.

There was a good amount of folks there, extra chairs had to get put out. A mixed bag of folks, too.

I spoke with the presenter and he said he was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.