Haunted Stories

bilbur

According to Wikipedia:
Moll Dyer (died c. 1697?) is the name of a legendary 17th-century resident of Leonardtown, Maryland, who was said to have been accused of witchcraft and chased out of her home by the local townsfolk on a winter night. Her body was found a few days later, partially frozen to a large stone.

Stories say her spirit haunts the land, looking for the men who forced her from her home. The land near her cabin is said to be cursed, never again growing good crops, and an unusual number of lightning strikes have been recorded there. A white dog is mentioned as causing accidents on Moll Dyer road.

One interviewee reported that while hunting along Moll Dyer's Run around 1970 he saw a "very dense fog patch, cylindrical in shape, with the light emanating about eight inches down from the top.... It crossed the stream and went east ... moving across the wind instead of with the wind ... then turned and went south.... But what made it really strange was that it did it twice! ... I'm not saying that it was the spirit of Moll Dyer. I just don't know what it was."[citation needed]

The story has survived for generations, though no historical record has been found of Moll Dyer's existence. Records from the colonial period are often incomplete and the county courthouse burned in 1831 so early documents were lost. Historical evidence includes:
An immigration record shows that Mary Dyer, Marg. Dyer, and Malligo Dyer were transported to Maryland in October 1677 on a ship commanded by Capt. Thomas Taylor[1] (Moll is a nickname for Mary.)
A "great epidemic" occurred in Southern Maryland in 1697/98. (Archives of MD, V23, p. 396)
In the 18 August 1892 edition of The St. Mary's Beacon (Edition 604, Volume LII), Joseph F. Morgan wrote that Moll lived in the area for many years, and that her cottage was burned while "Cotton Mather held sway in the land of the Puritans." (Mather was born in 1663 and died in 1728.) This story has been reprinted in the "Chronicles of St. Mary's," which are available from the St. Mary's County Historical Society.
There were several witchcraft trials in Maryland, starting in 1654 and continuing until 1712. Rebecca Fowler of neighboring Calvert County was hanged as a witch on 9 October 1685 (Maryland Historical Magazine XXXL pP. 271-298).

The Washington Times has called her "perhaps Maryland's best-known bit of witch lore".[2] Local newspapers reprint the story from time to time.[3]

According to legend, Moll Dyer rested on a large stone before she died, leaving indentations (either hands or knees or both) behind. In 1972, an 875-pound boulder was moved from a wooded ravine near Moll Dyer Road to the Leonardtown courthouse lawn in front of the old 1848 jailhouse, which now serves as the St. Mary's County Historical Society building, and is there to this day.[4]

Then there was that time that I was driving down a lonely road one dark and stormy night. When a little girl by the roadside showed up in my headlights. I stopped and she got in back and in a shaky tone. She said: My name is Mary, please won't you take me home?

She must have been so frightened all alone there in the night. There was something strange about her, for her face was deathly white. She sat so pale and quiet in the back seat all alone. I'll never will forget that night I took Mary home.

I pulled into the driveway where she told me to go. Got out to help her from the car and opened up the door. But I just could not believe my eyes 'cause the back seat was bare. I looked all around the car but Mary wasn't there.

A light shone from the porch, someone opened up the door. I asked about the little girl that I was looking for. Then a lady gently smiled and brushed a tear away. She said: It sure was nice of you to go out of your way.

But thirteen years ago today a wreck just down the road. Our darling Mary lost her life and we miss her so. Thank you for your trouble and the kindness you have shone. You're the thirteenth one who's been here bringing Mary home... it was that house...:shocking:

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out!

A door slammed. The maid screamed.

Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon!

While millions of people were starving, the king lived in

luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was

growing up.

BTW, The Great Pumpkin is on tonight ABC at 8.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
On a midnight ride
with two buddies and I
I turned and I looked at my friend
I said with a frown
You can roll them all down
'cause someone has just broke wind

Well we laughed for awhile
Through the midnight miles
And we stopped a little cafe
An old waitress in jeans
said our specialty's beans
We said take those things away

Well she must have overheard
Our joking words
About the crime with no confession
'Cause when we looked up
From our coffee cups
Oh you should have seen her expression

Well we made some tries
To apologize
If we'd said something that might offend
She said no, dear,
I hear a lot worse in here
But it sounds like you've met our friend

...And as she spoke the whole cafe gathered around

Ten years its been
Since he walked in
Just remembering gives me a chill
Right over there he sat
Wearing a ten-gallon hat
His buddies called him Big Bill

Well he ate our beans
Till he busted his jeans
Then he waddled on out to the car
From what I've heard
And I believe every word
Them boys didn't drive very far

Things got strange
As the atmosphere changed
They all started gasping for breath
With looks that would kill
They looked at Big Bill
And said "Bill, you're gassing us to death!"

But he wouldn't quit it
He wouldn't even admit it,
And that got them incredibly peeved
When they got the next whiff
They were right by a cliff
And that's where they gave Big Bill......The heave

Oh the wind
how it blows
where it starts
No one knows

Well he never was found,
but he might be around.
We can't be sure where he went
Cause drivers out there
Sometimes they swear
That often they pick up his scent

So have another cup
before you get up
And say a little prayer to your Maker
'Cause though it was unwanted
Tonight you was haunted
By the Phantom Windbreaker

Last edited:

Jeter3000

Years ago, about 1997, I attended a self-guided "tour" of Pt. Lookout Light House;prior to the "open houses" that are currently offered. It was a cold, blustery November day and we were cold due to the lack of heat inside. We were sitting in the kitchen of the left apartment, listening to the Park Rangers personal experiences that they encountered during the past. Suddenly, I felt a burning sensation on the back of my leg. I jumped, expecting to see one of my friends playing a prank on me with a lighter. Nobody was near me. I touched my jeans and the heat emanated from my clothing and others confirmed this also. Unexplainable. Ranger pointed out that there was a fire in that kitchen years ago when the former lighthouse attendant had issues with the wood burning stove. I have plenty more stories-too much to recite on this forum. Just lucky, I guess.

GregV814

One dreary night back in 1985, I was driving thru Chaneyville. Suddenly, a cool wind passed by and the chill was eerie...I felt a sense of being watched as odd screaching sounds emitted from above...the name "rebecca", "rebecca" channeled thru my ears.....a cackling womans voice was heard thru my radio speakers . I drove faster and faster down Chaneyville Road near the river....the radio was playing a medely of "Timothy Leary " (is dead) by the moody blues and "the end" by the Doors...

Needless to say I couldnt sleep that night. The next day, I met with the librarian at the Fairlawn library and told her of my event... She shuddered. She went to the back of the library and grabbed a dusty record from the history of Calvert County.....In that musty book was a story of Rebecca Fowler, the only witch put to death from accusations of witchcraft!!! She was executed the same night in 1685.....

I then grabbed an ice creame cone and put on Frank Sinatra's best hits CD...The first song was "witchcraft" (none of that happened)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
1970s. 4 city kids go camping in the woods in late October. Sleeping in a rustic cabin. It's dark and we have to wash our dinner dishes. Lakeside.

Joking and making lots of noise. Lake is quite large in size. We hear noises on the lake. It's very dark. We stop and listen. Everything is quiet.

Continue washing pots & pans. Sounds what appears to be large rocks hitting the water. Stop again and listen. Nothing. It happens again. Something very large is smacking the water right in front of us, a few feet from shore.

Someone from the group yells out "If we find you, we are going to kick your ass". Again silence. Back to busting suds. Loud splashing noise quite close. Water from the splash wets our boots. In unison & without a word being uttered, the dishes are dropped and 4 kids go sprinting through the dark woods back up the trail to the cabin.

The cabin door is tied from the inside with rope. Ponchos are put over the windows. 4 cots are moved to the center of the room. Candles are lit for additional light. The base of the 4 cots are intertwined with rope that is tied off to the cabin door in case some tries to open the door.

All is quiet. Time passes. It gets later and everyone is tired. Sleeping is difficult.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One dark night I was walking through the streets of Paris, when I heard a piercing scream. I ran toward it and found the butchered remains of two young girls. I called for the gendarmes and some people came running, but they saw I had blood on me so they presumed I had killed the girls. They started shouting at me and I tried to explain, but I don't speak French so they didn't understand.

I ran from them, and made my way across the border to Italy but I still freak out every time someone looks at me because I'm afraid they think I'm guilty of killing those girls. My shrink even thinks so.

Oh...wait...never mind...that a song by Iron Maiden.....

littlelady

God bless the USA
Two stories.

When I was in high school, my two best friends always used to spend the night at my house. I had an antique dresser from the 1830's in my room among other antiques. On several different occasions, my friends said they saw somebody standing next to the dresser.

When my parents retired, they moved to The Woodlands, TX. Rumor had it that their house was built on a Native American burial ground. My mom said there were many times she would hit resistance out of thin air when she was vacuuming. She concluded that they didn't like the noise. She loved them, and never got scared. When they would toast, they always toasted 'the old Indian'. I will never forget that considering we have Native American blood in our veins.

Who knows, if the ones that have passed are still with us. We shall know someday.

Last edited:

Wrkn4livn

According to Wikipedia:
Moll Dyer (died c. 1697?) is the name of a legendary 17th-century resident of Leonardtown, Maryland, who was said to have been accused of witchcraft and chased out of her home by the local townsfolk on a winter night. Her body was found a few days later, partially frozen to a large stone.

Stories say her spirit haunts the land, looking for the men who forced her from her home. The land near her cabin is said to be cursed, never again growing good crops, and an unusual number of lightning strikes have been recorded there. A white dog is mentioned as causing accidents on Moll Dyer road.

One interviewee reported that while hunting along Moll Dyer's Run around 1970 he saw a "very dense fog patch, cylindrical in shape, with the light emanating about eight inches down from the top.... It crossed the stream and went east ... moving across the wind instead of with the wind ... then turned and went south.... But what made it really strange was that it did it twice! ... I'm not saying that it was the spirit of Moll Dyer. I just don't know what it was."[citation needed]

The story has survived for generations, though no historical record has been found of Moll Dyer's existence. Records from the colonial period are often incomplete and the county courthouse burned in 1831 so early documents were lost. Historical evidence includes:
An immigration record shows that Mary Dyer, Marg. Dyer, and Malligo Dyer were transported to Maryland in October 1677 on a ship commanded by Capt. Thomas Taylor[1] (Moll is a nickname for Mary.)
A "great epidemic" occurred in Southern Maryland in 1697/98. (Archives of MD, V23, p. 396)
In the 18 August 1892 edition of The St. Mary's Beacon (Edition 604, Volume LII), Joseph F. Morgan wrote that Moll lived in the area for many years, and that her cottage was burned while "Cotton Mather held sway in the land of the Puritans." (Mather was born in 1663 and died in 1728.) This story has been reprinted in the "Chronicles of St. Mary's," which are available from the St. Mary's County Historical Society.
There were several witchcraft trials in Maryland, starting in 1654 and continuing until 1712. Rebecca Fowler of neighboring Calvert County was hanged as a witch on 9 October 1685 (Maryland Historical Magazine XXXL pP. 271-298).

The Washington Times has called her "perhaps Maryland's best-known bit of witch lore".[2] Local newspapers reprint the story from time to time.[3]

According to legend, Moll Dyer rested on a large stone before she died, leaving indentations (either hands or knees or both) behind. In 1972, an 875-pound boulder was moved from a wooded ravine near Moll Dyer Road to the Leonardtown courthouse lawn in front of the old 1848 jailhouse, which now serves as the St. Mary's County Historical Society building, and is there to this day.[4]

I've heard of this one.

Wrkn4livn

We had gone to Gettysburg and while there, visited the Jenny Wade house. On the second floor, during a tour, the guide said that often any psychics sitting up there, sense an old man sitting in the corner smoking a pipe. When the group left (moving into the other room), my wife, myself, and another guy stood by the window and we all smelled old smoke. My wife said it was coming from the curtains, but no one has lived in the house for like 130 years! Sure enough, we ALL smelled the smoke for about 30 seconds, and then it was gone. I smelled the curtains and, no smoke smell.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I know a scary story about an internet forum where if a member repeatedly posts foolishness in a thread an evil spirit lady makes them disappear.

:shocked:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We used to have some epic high school parties here. http://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/2000/2000_01_26.gstop26.html

Alpine.jpg