Airport to boot camp bus ride

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Who can ever forget?

boot camp bus.jpg

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I could have sworn that Parris Island was at 100 square miles after that bus ride. But when we left after graduation, I thought it pretty funny how close I was to the front gate. THEY LIED!!!!!!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I remember it like it was yesterday! Air conditioned Greyhound with tv, a masseuse rubbing our feet after all the trekking through multiple airports, a leisurely three course meal, hitting the club for drinks and dancing ...

Ahhh Air Force boot camp! :diva:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
BWHAHAHAHA, look at that poor dude in pink shirt in front row CLUTCHING this papers, fists all balled up !!!!!!!!!

Scared Sh1tless, THink he got picked on !

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Recruiter pickup - driven to the MEPS - bused to BWI - Flight to Atlanta - bused to Ft Benning

Arrived at the in-processing station @ 2300 on New Years Eve got an extra day to do nothing for New Years Day

I did not actually see a DI until 4 days later, when they marched us over to our Training Unit

stgislander

PREMO Member
I was sitting in the waiting lounge at the airport in Charleston waiting for a buddy to pick me up and take me back to the ship. The lounge was full of new recruits waiting for the bus to Parris Island. Of course, a few were putting on a show of acting tough in front of the others. The scene when the DI crashed into the lounge barking out orders a mile a minute was priceless. I actually felt sorry for those guys.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Greyhound bus to Oklahoma City in June '72, put up in hotel with 100 other recruits for a pretty wild party night, airlines to Orlando, hit the barracks at about 2300 where we met our CC, ate breakfast next morning, direct to the barber shop where all of us longhairs realized what our heads really looked like. The next four years went by in a flash, and I don't regret it one bit.

The picture in the OP is priceless.:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I could have sworn that Parris Island was at 100 square miles after that bus ride. But when we left after graduation, I thought it pretty funny how close I was to the front gate. THEY LIED!!!!!!

Exactly the same. Didn't realize it until I was stationed at Knox that the reception station was just inside the front gate. We drove onto Knox, and the bus drove around for a good 30 - 45 minutes before actually entering the reception station.. then I was waiting for Bill Murray to come out and say Hi..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Recruiter pickup - driven to the MEPS - bused to BWI - Flight to Atlanta - bused to Ft Benning

Arrived at the in-processing station @ 2300 on New Years Eve got an extra day to do nothing for New Years Day

I did not actually see a DI until 4 days later, when they marched us over to our Training Unit

Manchester, NH, bus to Boston (Logan Airport) flight to Louisville.. bus to Ft Knox.. Got off the bus at about 11:30 PM and sat through 3 hours of inbriefs, straight from the bus to the classroom.. CONTRABAND will NOT be tolerated.. Finally hit the rack about 2:30 am and the morning shift of Drills came in at 5:30 to wake us all up.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I honestly don’t remember how I got to Great Lakes. I remember getting off a bus inside the gate but not how I got to Chicago. It was late and we didn’t meet our CC until the next morning. He was nice.

Forkian

Bus ride from airport to boot camp was about 2 hours long. They closer we got the more quiet it became inside the bus. By the time we reached the gate you could hear a pin drop. The bus came to a stop, the doors swung open and suddenly the bus got a whole lot louder. Some instructions were yelled at us, we got off the bus, then proceeded to get everything wrong for the next few days.

Best education of my life. Looking back it was well worth it.

acommondisaster

Being female, I think my experience is probably much difference. There were 3 of us, we were picked up by a Navy van and dropped off at the barracks of a company with a couple of extra bunks. We spent the night there, straggled to breakfast behind them and then were taken to our own barracks where the company formed up over the weekend, with new people showing up every few hours. No one really messed with us much.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I remember it like it was yesterday! Air conditioned Greyhound with tv, a masseuse rubbing our feet after all the trekking through multiple airports, a leisurely three course meal, hitting the club for drinks and dancing ...

Ahhh Air Force boot camp! :diva:

Showing this to Foxhound! :lmao: