Pizza delivery people

dave1959

Anyone know one or have experience..?? Im thinking of getting a part time job...

Im looking for money info ONLY... How much can you make..???

I already know about gas & maintenance, ####ty hours, bull#### at the store level ect, ect..

I want to know how much money can you make ?

dave1959

Maybe so? But not all options are doable... Sometimes you have to take something less because it "fits" better..

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My son did it for 6 months and on some nights, he made bank, others, not so much. He opted to leave that job since it was part-time and his full-time job caused him to have to call and be late more often as the summer progressed.

There were times he was delivering to ghetto spots with pit bulls and got zero tips while the nicer homes/neighborhoods tipped well. :shrug:

Most of these places require you stay late and clean up the place so while you are not delivering, you are washing dishes, scrubbing floors, etc. for minimum wage. He made about $11 - $11.50 an hour after expenses.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There were times he was delivering to ghetto spots with pit bulls and got zero tips while the nicer homes/neighborhoods tipped well. :shrug:

:yeahthat:

I did this in the 90's for Pizza Hut in Fort Washington

.... from a teen tipping me a few pennies on a Friday night @ mid-night to a middle aged white guy

'your in this for the money right?'

giving me a $ 20 for a 13 dollar Pizza and telling me to keep the change

back them PH paid minimum wage, plus .25 a pizza for every pie delivered - back then we did not have to report our tips

I would suggest you track down the nearest delivery stores - Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa Johns and talk to the drivers on a Friday night

sm8

My brother delivers pizza. He makes ok money (enough to support him) and he likes what he does, which means a lot. He gets paid as a basis store employee and while he is at the store he does store stuff. Take orders, make orders, ring up customers. When he goes out on a delivery he is still on the clock so it's like getting a little break to himself and gets a bonus in whatever tip he gets.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyone know one or have experience..?? Im thinking of getting a part time job...

Im looking for money info ONLY... How much can you make..???

I already know about gas & maintenance, ####ty hours, bull#### at the store level ect, ect..

I want to know how much money can you make ?

Actully I've done it.. and depending on the pizza place you can make a lot of money.. you're totally dependent on tips.. and generally people that order from Dominos or Pizza Hut understand that and tip well.. working for a mom and pop.. not so much.

I worked for a named pizza joint and averaged about $5 a delivery.. or 15-20 an hour (or a lot more)when we were busy.. mom and pop I got a lot of 2 cent tips. Order came to $4.98 they'd give me a 5 and tell me to keep the tip. Some nights I didn't make enough to cover the gas.

Issue with some places is you never cashed out until the end of the night.. you delivered, collected the money, then continued to deliver until the end of the shift. Had a lot of cash on me before I cashed out.. but this was in PA so also carried.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I will say.. being polite, smiling, engaging the customer makes a HUGE difference when it comes to tips.

Drivers have a black ball list. People that don't tip, that they'd try not to deliver to, try to pass off on the new guy..

I'd come back with a $5-10 tip. NEVER tell other drivers how much customers tip.. in fact when at work you always get stiffed.. nobody EVER tips.. if you divulge the good tippers the other drivers will grab their next order.

Don't just stand there with their food waiting for your tip.. make a comment about their house, their pet, their dogs.. I'd even be a cat person for 30 seconds.. and I HATE cats, but ENGAGE.

Last edited:

BOP

Actully I've done it.. and depending on the pizza place you can make a lot of money.. you're totally dependent on tips.. and generally people that order from Dominos or Pizza Hut understand that and tip well.. working for a mom and pop.. not so much.

I worked for a named pizza joint and averaged about $5 a delivery.. or 15-20 an hour (or a lot more)when we were busy.. mom and pop I got a lot of 2 cent tips. Order came to $4.98 they'd give me a 5 and tell me to keep the tip. Some nights I didn't make enough to cover the gas.

Issue with some places is you never cashed out until the end of the night.. you delivered, collected the money, then continued to deliver until the end of the shift. Had a lot of cash on me before I cashed out.. but this was in PA so also carried.

Worked for a place down in Houston for better part of a year. Always carried, always had my buddy with a shotgun waiting in the car, only had to get "testy" once. Wouldn't want to do it again, but we split what we made and managed to pay the rent and put food on the table.

sm8

I will say.. being polite, smiling, engaging the customer makes a HUGE difference when it comes to tips.

Drivers have a black ball list. People that don't tip, that they'd try not to deliver to, try to pass off on the new guy..

I'd come back with a $5-10 tip. NEVER tell other drivers how much customers tip.. in fact when at work you always get stiffed.. nobody EVER tips.. if you divulge the good tippers the other drivers will grab their next order.

Don't just stand there with their food waiting for your tip.. make a comment about their house, their pet, their dogs.. I'd even be a cat person for 30 seconds.. and I HATE cats, but ENGAGE.

Makes me think of when we were visiting hubbies family in the mountains, I opened the door and went to hand the guy the money and he walked right in. Sat the pizza on the table and proceeded to the living room and talked for over a half hour so I assumed he was a family friend. I was starving so after a bit I broke into the pizza and offered him some so I didn't feel rude. After he left the family turned to me and asked who he was.

FairyChatMom

Just me
Guess I'm an anomaly - I order on line and pay by credit card, but I have the tip ready in cash. In fact, if I don't have enough cash for a tip, I just don't order. But the amount the delivery person gets is predetermined, so unless the delivery person is a total jerk, he/she will get tipped - more if the weather sucks.

wubbles

I had a really strange encounter with a pizza delivery recently (thanks Caps for the 50% off at PPJ). When I answered the door there were two guys standing there. This is how the convo went after I opened the door.
Delivery guy #1 to #2 "First you hand the receipt to the customer. While they are signing the receipt, take the pizzas out of the bag and get ready to hand it to the customer. When they give you back the receipt, hand them the pizza and tell them to have a good night."
Thing is, he never actually addressed that I was standing there for even a moment, spent the whole time coaching the #2 guy on how to deliver a pizza. I told them to have a good day and #1 was coaching #2 on something else but I couldn't hear.

It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen with a food delivery. Who needs to be trained on how to hand someone a pizza? The #2 guy didn't appear to be special needs or anything either.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I delivered pizzas part time when I was 19. I worked FT in DC, and wanted extra $$. I really enjoyed it and averaged $30-$40 per night after a 4-hour shift.

I'd never make it as a pizza delivery guy. The pie would never get to the intended destination.

:urp:

bilbur

If you are just doing it for the joy of driving you could try and get a courier job at one of the local contractors. I did this for almost 2 years and it was a foot in the door for better opportunities. The only catch is you have to get a low level "secret" security clearance and have a somewhat good driving record. I loved this job, drive around, smoke, and listen to music all day. If other people reading this have kids 18 or older this is a good foot in the door for them. The pay isn't great but most contractors will pay for at least some college and they all offer health insurance plus holding a security clearance since you were 18 looks great on a resume.