just a basic question, no right, no wrong answers

GregV814

If you were to lose one of your senses, (i.e. taste, smell, sight, hearing, touch,) which could you do without?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Given the list, either taste or smell. Without those you can live a fairly normal life. Sight, hearing, touch are more important to me.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Given the list, either taste or smell. Without those you can live a fairly normal life. Sight, hearing, touch are more important to me.

If you lose your sense of smell, odds are most of your sense of taste will also diminish; if you're lucky, not completely. I've been told what that's like and witnessed what it does psychologically to someone.

bilbur

This is a tough one. Sight for me is a must have along with hearing. That leaves it down to smell, taste, or touch. I have a friend going through cancer treatment and he lost his sense of smell and taste and he says it is hell mostly because of loosing taste. Most food people put in their mouth they don't think about the texture of that food because there is a taste associated with it but without taste you are expecting one thing and getting absolutely nothing. Because of this my friend says he mind as well be eating dirt or slime or rubber because he is getting the texture with no taste. As for touch I had a spinal chord injury and lost my sense of touch for about a year from the neck down. I also had an issue with Proprioperception which is your brain knowing where a particular body part is in space. That was a weird feeling when you close your eyes and next thing you know you are on the floor because with your eyes closed your brain does not have a visual reference to tell your legs to hold you up and the damaged spinal chord is not sending feedback to the brain to let it know the legs need to be straight so they just collapse if you aren't looking at them. This is why they do the close your eyes and touch your nose test for drunk drivers. Luckily almost everything returned to normal but it seemed like it took forever to do so. I guess the lesser of all the evils would be smell even though loosing smell also means you will lose some taste. Sorry for the long rant, I am bored waiting on some software to install so I am basically amusing myself with this response.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So, like a unicorns horn then....... yep, I'll buy that.

... horn.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA
Lighten up, Francis....

Oh my geez! You just used your old forum name in your reply. Talk about irony. Oh, and yeah, Merlin is right. You are a hypocrite of the highest order. Get over yourself. Thank you.

As far as topic, I think I would give up hearing, if there was always close caption and I could read lips. It would, also, be a plus, to not hear a bunch of crap all the time. I am a big fan of 'quiet time'! :lol:

Last edited: