speed limit lowered on rt. 245

CRHS89

I just noticed that the speed limit lowers to 40 on Hollywood Rd before McIntosh Rd. (going towards leonardtown). I'm not sure how much before since I'm not sure I saw the first sign. When did this happen and why?

I just noticed that the speed limit lowers to 40 on Hollywood Rd before McIntosh Rd. (going towards leonardtown). I'm not sure how much before since I'm not sure I saw the first sign. When did this happen and why?
New to me...:faint:

bilbur

It is due to the new school that just opened this year, Duke I believe is the name. I think it is ridiculous but unfortunately the decision wasn't up to me. It lowered just past St John's Rd on the Leonardtown side but it is still 50 from St John's to about 1/4 mile before 235 where it has always been 40. I guess the old people that did 40 mph and under on that road anyway are now happy but this probably means they will now go 35.

CRHS89

So are/were some type of signs placed to catch your attention to the change (other than the regular speed limit sign)? I go that way a lot and just noticed the sign today.

bilbur

So are/were some type of signs placed to catch your attention to the change (other than the regular speed limit sign)? I go that way a lot and just noticed the sign today.

Yes, just after St John's Rd. there is a orange sign that alerts you. It is maybe 100 feet before the actual speed limit sign. It was there last weekend, I don't know how long they leave those signs up.

glhs837

Power with Control
So now everyone will go 50 instead of 60.

Actually, they will go the speed they feel comfortable at, no matter what the sign says. One reason the NHTSA recommends setting speed limits based on the 85th percentile travel speeds, barring other factors. Is a school a mile away enough of a factor? Hmmm, not so sue. Since the state says school zones should be 1/2 mile from the school it seems reasonable that any limit drop for that reason should follow that guideline. I could see a couple of reasons for this

1. The crash rate at that upcoming intersection with McIntosh was out of norms.
2. Overabundance of caution for the school.