Who to call to ask for traffic enforcement?

Popster

Yesterday sat through two light cycles at gate 2 on 235 N because I made the mistake of being in the far right lane. If you drive a big silver pickup with Raptor on the side you are a douche bag. Today I sat through a light cycle at the same intersection even though I was in the far left lane. The light cycle for Northbound 235 at gate to is short; it doesn't take much to make you miss your turn.

Whom does one call to rant, um, I mean politely ask for some enforcement?

Anyone want to add an experience I will deliver this thread to someone who can hopefully help.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yesterday sat through two light cycles at gate 2 on 235 N because I made the mistake of being in the far right lane. If you drive a big silver pickup with Raptor on the side you are a douche bag. Today I sat through a light cycle at the same intersection even though I was in the far left lane. The light cycle for Northbound 235 at gate to is short; it doesn't take much to make you miss your turn.

Whom does one call to rant, um, I mean politely ask for some enforcement?

Anyone want to add an experience I will deliver this thread to someone who can hopefully help.

What does the big silver pickup with Raptor on the side have to do with you having to sit through light cycles?

At any rate, if you're looking for enforcement of some type, the police would be a start.....

http://www.firstsheriff.com/ or http://mdsp.maryland.gov/organization/pages/fieldoperationsbureau/barracktleonardtown.aspx

glhs837

Power with Control
I would think the Raptor maybe blocked the box, preventing this person from going north. Do call the Sheriffs office, OP, but make sure you request an officer, no the installation of cameras, since by law in MD, they cannot cite for blocking the box. Make that clear, since it seems nobody told the commissioners that.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I would think the Raptor maybe blocked the box, preventing this person from going north.

Oh, okay... The Sheriff's office had a "don't block the box" enforcement push at gates 1 & 2 just a few weeks ago. Amazing how people forget so soon.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Oh, okay... The Sheriff's office had a "don't block the box" enforcement push at gates 1 & 2 just a few weeks ago. Amazing how people forget so soon.

You said it right....."had." Yes, it was 1-2 weeks ago, but how many days did it last?
You know; as well as everybody around here; if there isn't a squad car and an officer sitting there every day; and there won't be; things are going to go back to the way they were before the supposed enforcement.
Gate II and GMR is a cluster and it won't change.

glhs837

Power with Control
See, I don't think it would take every day, maybe just three days a month. But it has to be a certain number of days every month. One day every six months, that isn't deterrant enough. add in another thee days with an empty cruiser parked conspicuously nearby, and I think that would raise the threat level high enough to reduce the occurrence. Its' all about the publics perception that the odds are pretty good they will be caught.

DEEKAYPEE8569

See, I don't think it would take every day, maybe just three days a month. But it has to be a certain number of days every month. One day every six months, that isn't deterrant enough. add in another thee days with an empty cruiser parked conspicuously nearby, and I think that would raise the threat level high enough to reduce the occurrence. Its' all about the publics perception that the odds are pretty good they will be caught.

.....and don't make it public knowledge. Regardless of whether or not law enforcement announced increased police presence, it wouldn't matter. The one's that do stupid will do stupid anyway.

H

Hodr

See, I don't think it would take every day, maybe just three days a month.

But you have to wonder, if they put a car there every single day it would almost certainly more than cover it's own costs. They do us a public service and fund the department at the same time.

Being under-staffed doesn't make sense when you have a job that can more than pay for itself. Heck, if people started obeying the law, they could just move this guy to enforcing fire/ems lanes in front of grocery stores.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dee, I agree, announcements most likely wont do anything other than decrease it on that day.

Hodr, nah, it's pretty hard to make money on manned enforcement. Cruiser costs upwards of 40K equipped, might even top 50k. Not sure of the initial and extended training costs, but once you add those plus the cost of a deputy (call it 40K salary with another 20-30K for benefits) it's pretty hard to write enough citations to make money. Especially since to do this particular type, you really need two people, one to ID the perps and send them over to the second officer who is writing citations. You are essentially sweeping up emerald dust to sell using a Gold handled broom into a diamond dustpan.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If anyone was ever stationed at Sigonella NAS and drove locally you saw blocking the box on steroids. I use to shake my head at the sheer stupidity of how they drove. Traffic lights were just random suggestions.

CrashTest

Call the base CO. They always talk about how closely they work with local government on traffic issues related to the base.

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero

This only works when a cop is there. The day after the police leave people will start to block the box again.

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero
Dee, I agree, announcements most likely wont do anything other than decrease it on that day.

Hodr, nah, it's pretty hard to make money on manned enforcement. Cruiser costs upwards of 40K equipped, might even top 50k. Not sure of the initial and extended training costs, but once you add those plus the cost of a deputy (call it 40K salary with another 20-30K for benefits) it's pretty hard to write enough citations to make money. Especially since to do this particular type, you really need two people, one to ID the perps and send them over to the second officer who is writing citations. You are essentially sweeping up emerald dust to sell using a Gold handled broom into a diamond dustpan.

They don't need a car for this type of enforcement. This could be done on foot or with a bicycle.

glhs837

Power with Control
If anyone was ever stationed at Sigonella NAS and drove locally you saw blocking the box on steroids. I use to shake my head at the sheer stupidity of how they drove. Traffic lights were just random suggestions.

Yeah, drove my crew around for a day up to Etna and back, five guys in a small Seat sedan. Only topped by India.

glhs837

Power with Control
They don't need a car for this type of enforcement. This could be done on foot or with a bicycle.

Right, but if you have a car there, then you can use a car like a scarecrow. just not too much or it loses it's effectiveness.

Restitution

If they hid a cruiser in the NTA building parking lot and had another one at the Firehouse subs lot... they would make BANK on the light evaders cutting through the PRIVATE drive in front of CPFCU.

Same setup for the Wawa light evaders.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If they hid a cruiser in the NTA building parking lot and had another one at the Firehouse subs lot... they would make BANK on the light evaders cutting through the PRIVATE drive in front of CPFCU.

Same setup for the Wawa light evaders.

Same goes for the 235/4 intersection. Somebody from one of the converging roads will run a red light on any given day.

CrashTest

Best way to fix this problem permanently is to create off-site parking and bus employees into the base.

Then we can wait in line to have our ID's checked prior to boarding the bus rather than checked prior to boarding the base.