Michelin Tires

softtouch

The Michelin web site lists Southern Tire and Auto Service on Shangri-la Dr Lexington Park and Mr.Tire on Worth Ave. California for stores near my Lusby zip code.
My 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis still has the original tires on it and I am starting to worry about age deterioration. The car has 55,000 miles on it and the tires look fine. No dry rot cracking on the side walls. The car has always been garaged.
Anyone have a bad experience with either of the two stores suggested?

Goldenhawk

The Michelin web site lists Southern Tire and Auto Service on Shangri-la Dr Lexington Park and Mr.Tire on Worth Ave. California for stores near my Lusby zip code.
My 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis still has the original tires on it and I am starting to worry about age deterioration. The car has 55,000 miles on it and the tires look fine. No dry rot cracking on the side walls. The car has always been garaged.
Bad? Not really. Good? I've had a long good relationship with Southern; they've done numerous jobs for me for maybe 15 years now and always treated me well.

R

rhenderson

I think Southern will rotate tires for free in the future if you buy a set of four.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Bad? Not really. Good? I've had a long good relationship with Southern; they've done numerous jobs for me for maybe 15 years now and always treated me well.

My brother has dealt with Southern Tire for years and is very pleased. I've dealt with them myself and was always satisfied with them.

I have dealt with Mr. Tire as well and was happy, but it was the Leonardtown store. Each store is locally managed, but have the pricing advantage by being a bulk buyer.

Please check your PM folder.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
BJ's also sells Michelins, they ended up being the cheapest even with having to buy the membership.

I just got my Michelin's at Curtis Tire. He checks a few different jobbers for price. Lifetime rotation, etc.... Very careful with expensive rims. I've been very happy with him.

Southern Tire in Lex Park messed up a set of rims on me. Badly scratched.

Edit: He will also mount up tires you find somewhere else. I'm old school, bought the tires from him and he mounted them too.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We've been going to Big Ed's on Rt. 5 in Leonardtown

I used to deal with Eddie, but his front guy Merle, is a piece of work. He has cost Ed's a LOT of business, not just mine. I waited 2 hours one Saturday morning, just to be told the tires that came in were 15" not 16" like they had ordered. By not properly checking them when they came in, Merle cost Eddie a lifetime customer.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
14 year old car and only 55,000 miles?! :shocked: You don't drive much. I use Southern, but only after I squeeze out close to 100k out of my tires.

BOP

I'm not recommending you keep your tires on your car. I probably would, if I drove no more miles than you have on your car, but I spent more than 20 years as an auto mechanic.

The problem with tires is they age the same way a rubber band ages, once it's exposed to air. They get hard and brittle, and could "break" the first time they get stressed. For you, replacing them is almost certainly a good move. Your tires are at least 15 years old, and could be older, depending on how long the batch of tires yours came from was actually made.

I would also recommend replacing the spare. It, too, is at least 15 years old. Even donut spares should be replaced at that point.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just curious why are are set on Michelins, I am a Cooper Tire fan myself.

"My 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis still has the original tires on it and I am starting to worry about age deterioration."

Enough to build consumer confidence right there.

PeoplesElbow

"My 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis still has the original tires on it and I am starting to worry about age deterioration."

Enough to build consumer confidence right there.

Thats nothing, our ####ty 1983 Ford Econoline vans at work with holes rusted clear through the floors most likely have the original tires on them. They only have 30kish miles on them though.

I like Southern.

Sometimes dry rot will show up between the treads when the sidewalls look great. I checked the three remaining tires after the first one shredded like a bad recap. :whistle:

softtouch

Thanks for all your comments.
I will be calling Southern tomorrow to see if they have my size tires in stock.
After studying at the university of Google I was able the determine that my tires have a date code of 1201. The twelfth week of 01. The last week of March maybe.
The car has a manufactured date of 05/01 and I bought the car in September of 01.
Looks like the pipeline from tire manufacture to car manufacture flows pretty fast.

So maybe I should hope Southern doesn't have the tires in stock and has to order in a fresh set.
Anyone ever check the date code on aftermarket tires?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Just curious why are are set on Michelins, I am a Cooper Tire fan myself.

I'm not a real car-savvy person. I have Dunlops on mine and they have developed a very loud rumble to them. I took it to a place and the guy told me it's from treads wearing unevenly. I think he called it valleying or something like that. I had some Yokohamas that did this too. Since I have a fairly long commute to work, I'm looking for something that will last as well as give me a quiet ride.

Recommendations?

I'm not a real car-savvy person. I have Dunlops on mine and they have developed a very loud rumble to them. I took it to a place and the guy told me it's from treads wearing unevenly. I think he called it valleying or something like that. I had some Yokohamas that did this too. Since I have a fairly long commute to work, I'm looking for something that will last as well as give me a quiet ride.

Recommendations?

Not heard of 'valleying', but familiar with 'scalloping'. Usually caused by worn steering parts and/or bad shocks. That needs to be checked and resolved before putting new tires on.