Dear SHA

CalvertActiv

Route 4 in the area of St. Leonard was grooved today and they left the gravel all over the road. Can you please clean that crap up. I'd prefer not getting a gravel shower. I can't imagine what motorcycles would experience. My car is now covered in wondering little dings.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Route 4 in the area of St. Leonard was grooved today and they left the gravel all over the road. Can you please clean that crap up. I'd prefer not getting a gravel shower. I can't imagine what motorcycles would experience. My car is now covered in wondering little dings.

Sorry about your car. That sucks. I am sure it happened to others too. Thanks for the warning. Running errands tomorrow. I always go to the light at Ball and 4 so I don't have to merge at Brooms Island. Or go the back way..Greys to Sixes to Adelina is another option.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wouldn't there be some recourse for the fact that the loose stuff was left on the road and damaged your car?

glhs837

Power with Control
I noticed this on the project to resurface 235 around Wildwood, I wonder if the state contracts are not requiring a good clean up at the end of the day.

tommyjo

Do you actually think the SHA reads this site??

Roman

It happened to me to last night. They're usually pretty good with clean-up.

Hessian

LAST YEAR...they were stripping the other side,...weather didn't cooperate so the repaving had to wait month(s?).

I really do NOT have a good theory on this but,...it makes ya wonder.
*Smooth section of road, little worn--REPAVE every three years!
*765...hasn't been repaved in 12+ years.
I have guardrails falling off to oblivion, undercut shoulders, and last-minute patches on my road. Hey SHA, are you training a new crew every two years & maxing out your spending budget with a "visible" project?

Mind you Calvert's roads are MUCH better than PG,...and we do appreciate that fact: just please tend to the neglected roads that are also getting more traffic,...thanks.

catlingirl

I was coming north on 4 this afternoon and you could see all the dust flying around on the southbound side near St. Leonard because of the grooved road.

GregV814

Well, as a pubic cervix to you peeps, I called Fred Doffelmeyer, the C.O.O. of Fred O. Day, the State's subcontractor working this project. He stated that under Section 27.344 of the Annontated Road's Commission by-laws that motorists suffering collateral damage are entitled to relief and compensation, granted if they have; a) visual evidence that particulated matter OVER 3mm, b) proven to be from the highway striking and causing damage to: a) an automobile, truck used for highway purposes, b) any towed vehicle or c) farm animals that were not engaged in grazing. Proof of such evidence should be mailed withing 24 hours of claimed damage to Congressman Steny Hoyer immediately with an affidavit of facts surrounding the alleged incident.

Last edited:

Hannibal

People from SHA will read this site ..... just depends on if they read this site for other reasons of course. They aren't seeking out threads mentioning them. But to that, I don't think the OP fully expected an SHA audience and was posting more or less to vent with tongue in cheek.

Chips/dings from construction projects are a gray area altogether. On SHA contracts, you are to housekeep your work area. The definition of this is limited and is applied against nearly all their contracts regardless of scope (overpasses vs. repave, etc. which carry far different operations). For road rebuilding, there is typically a brush sweeper immediately following the mill machine. This tends to clear up a lot of the millings. Even with the best efforts, some pebbles do escape and more develop as the narrow ridges between the grooves can crumble and create new "pebbles." There simply isn't a foolproof method other than constant sweeping.

When it comes to recovery of costs for damage, you likely won't get anywhere unless you catch someone on a very nice day. If you contact SHA, you will get passed around to a head department, down to a District office, to a contract team to a project engineer. If you're lucky, they may try to push your bill to the contractor who will simply rebut it saying they've met their obligation to the contract in terms of protection of the public (warnings, MOT, site cleanup, etc.) and that any sustained damage would then go back to SHA. More so, there is virtually no way to actually PROVE the damage was done on their site other than you saying so. Contractors have risk management teams who deal with this all the time.

Basically, if SHA expected to eliminate ALL potential damage, they would require contractors to do more .......... or to close the roads while the operation was taking place. All of which would cost them significantly more money.

You may ultimately get your $20 ding repair but you will spend 100x's that in your time trying to find someone willing to pay the bill.

creekman

State highways in Maryland are not under the jurisdiction of the Calvert County Commissioners or Steny Hoyer. It has been suggested that you call either of those two. Since its a state project let me suggest Tony O'Donnell.