Fatality on Breezy Point & Tobacco Rd

NBF

Tried to pass by and told a tandem bike was struck and possibly one killed. Happened about 3:30 today. Not sure if the scene has been cleared yet or not. Condolences go out to the affected ones and families.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I got a Nixle alert at 5:55 that said Tobacco Road was now open.

Grumpy

Drove through there last weekend and there was couple on a tandem bike struggling with the hills back there. Weekends there are always a bunch of bikes back there on Wilson, Plum Point, Tobacco and Breezy Point roads. The way some folks drive on Wilson, I am concerned driving a car, much less a bike.

NBF

Tried to pass by and told a tandem bike was struck and possibly one killed. Happened about 3:30 today. Not sure if the scene has been cleared yet or not. Condolences go out to the affected ones and families.

Well, just went back that way and saw numerous red circles on the road. One lady advised she was told there were two fatalities due to a lady running them over in a Jeep. Sad day for sure.

Hank

my war
http://smnewsnet.com/archives/394765/drunk-driver-kills-two-bicyclists-in-chesapeake-beach/

A preliminary investigation revealed the following:
Two subjects, later identified as John Henrik Fauerby (64) and Lynne Frances Rosenbusch (58) both of Clarksburg, MD, were operating a tandem bicycle northbound on Tobacco Rd. A 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, being operated by Catherine Frances Lyon (62) of Huntingtown, was also traveling northbound on Tobacco Rd. The Jeep came up from behind the bicycle and struck it in the rear. As a result of the collision, both Fauerby and Rosenbusch were ejected from the bicycle. Due to the injuries from the collision, Rosenbusch was pronounced deceased on the scene by medical personnel. Fauerby was transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

NBF

Well, just went back that way and saw numerous red circles on the road. One lady advised she was told there were two fatalities due to a lady running them over in a Jeep. Sad day for sure.

Add this to last posting:

"During the investigation it was determined that Lyon was operating the Jeep under the influence of alcohol.

Lyon was arrested and charged with multiple traffic and criminal charges including Driving Under the Influence and Homicide by Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence. Lyon was transported to the Calvert County Detention Center to await a hearing before the District Court Commissioner.

Corporal Thomas Phelps and other members of the Crash Reconstruction Team are conducting an investigation of the collision. Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Cpl. Phelps at 410-535-2800."

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Waiting on the usual postings about how this is somehow the cyclists' fault.

Too bad this had to happen, worst still is nothing will come of it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Waiting on the usual postings about how this is somehow the cyclists' fault. Too bad this had to happen, worst still is nothing will come of it.
This was posted on BayNet's site under the article: "Well Catherine, what do you have to say for yourself? As an aside, and no disrespect to those who were killed, bicycles should not have the same rights as motor vehicles on roads whereby bicyclists are encouraged to ride even on narrow two lane roads. Even regular driving has been nearly catastrophic for at times when coming around a bend at posted limits only to have a bicyclist merrily and ignorantly slowing peddling away in the middle of the lane. Not saying it happened this way here, however, in some instances, bicyclists can and do contribute to their own demise. May their souls rest in peace."

In my view, many times it is the cyclists that feel they have some special entitlement. How crazy how it is that as children, we are told to stay off the streets only as adults to ride on those same streets with 2 ton cars whizzing by on narrow streets without shoulders? It is unfortunate these people died. Made even worse for being killed by some asinine 62 year old skank that should have known better. However, with the state now saying that bicycles have the same rights as vehicles, there will be more deaths, with or without DUI's.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
http://smnewsnet.com/archives/394765/drunk-driver-kills-two-bicyclists-in-chesapeake-beach/

A preliminary investigation revealed the following:
Two subjects, later identified as John Henrik Fauerby (64) and Lynne Frances Rosenbusch (58) both of Clarksburg, MD, were operating a tandem bicycle northbound on Tobacco Rd. A 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, being operated by Catherine Frances Lyon (62) of Huntingtown, was also traveling northbound on Tobacco Rd. The Jeep came up from behind the bicycle and struck it in the rear. As a result of the collision, both Fauerby and Rosenbusch were ejected from the bicycle. Due to the injuries from the collision, Rosenbusch was pronounced deceased on the scene by medical personnel. Fauerby was transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wabeck/albums/72157658325065623 Terribly sad. The people that were killed were avid endurance bicyclists.

RPMDAD

T's and P's to the family. What a shame all the way around. They came all the way down here to go biking and this happened.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Concern4Calvert

What? I don't get what you posted. This is such a tragedy. Maybe, I read you wrong in the posts I have seen from you. Prayers to the family of a tragedy that should have never happened.

i read the post i quoted as sarcastic , no doubt a terrible tragedy and right around the corner from my house at that. i traveled that road about ten minutes before the incident and don't recall seeing them.

littlelady

God bless the USA
One more thing. I see all kinds of things in my travels. Drivers traveling too fast on 4, people passing on the double yellow and barely making it on the back roads, swerving onto the shoulder, running red lights, oblivious to emergency vehicles, being impatient with the mail carrier vehicles, tailgating, etc. Take a moment y'all to reflect, y'all. Pay attention. This story made me remember something I experienced in Montgomery County back in 1992. I was traveling Road 118 from Potomac to Germantown, and went around a blind curve and encountered a cop car coming at me headon with lights and everything. Something possessed me to turn my steering sharply and I ended up in a ditch overturned. I survived because I was paying attention, and prob saved the cops life, too.

Last edited:

CrashTest

Waiting on the usual postings about how this is somehow the cyclists' fault.

Too bad this had to happen, worst still is nothing will come of it.

Not from me. Those cyclists have a right to ride down that road. They also have a right to climb Mt. Everest in flip-flops.